SuperMan: Thoughts?

As many of you T-Nation movie buffs already know…the “Superman” franchise is being “rebooted” this Spring/Summer with “Man of Steel”.

My thought is that it is going to be a tough damn sell for about 2 generations of movie goers.

First is the “older” set that will always see Christopher Reeve as Superman. Then there is what I see as the “toughest” group; the 1-2 generations (there is overlap) that literally grew up with the characters and storyline of “Smallville”. (Myself included!). So:

Will a new generation accept this “New” Superman like they did “Spiderman” (although spiderman did not have a Reeves or a “Smallville” to contend with).

I say it will have to be one helluva’ storyline to be successful (after almost 10 years of a living/breathing/maturing storyline with “Smallville”)…or it will be “dead in the water”.

Thoughts?

Mufasa

I just think that after “Smallville”…it will be VERY difficult to have a “WOW” factor.

“Man of Steel” HAS to be “fresh” and story-driven, IMO.

Mufasa

I didnt like smallville.

Can wait for the movie, although there will be only one real Superman: Christopher Reeve.

Does anyone here read the comics? I just brought my first Superman comic for about 15 years. i think I might start reading them again.

tweet

A difficult sell would be the introduction of a new superhero, an un-established character that movie-goers haven’t inherited.

This movie is being made because it is easy. The character is iconic - Superman has been around for 75 years - which automatically grants it a lot of cross promotion, and money can be made at a predictable rate through merchandising.

It is an easy sell because there will always be people who’ll drop $20 to see a Superman movie.

I think Man of Steele will be 1/2 origin story retold, and 1/2 attempting to differentiate from the franchise.

fncj:

Great points!

There will be a certain “curiosity/built-in” factor to “Man of Steel”…and most likely for the Producers, they will not lose money…

But will it be a “Blockbuster”? Will it “win-over” the Die-Hard SciFi Fan?

Will kids be wanting “SuperMan” pajamas because they WANT them…and not because their PARENTS want them to have them?

I guess that’s what I’m sort of getting at!

(Again…great points!)

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
fncj:

Good points!

There will be a certain “curiosity/built-in” factor to “Man of Steel”…and most likely for the Producers, they will not lose money…

Will kids be wanting “SuperMan” pajamas because they WANT them…and not because their PARENTS want them to have them?

I guess that’s what I’m sort og getting at!

(Again…great points!)

Mufasa[/quote]

How is batman doing with kids currently? I think the new superman has potential to equal that, whatever popularity it may be at the moment. Batman may be unpopular with kids these days for all I know.

I also think that I read somewhere that there will be some “retelling” of the Story…

(If I’m not mistaken, he won’t be an Orphan shot from a dying Planet by his parent’s? I’ll have to look that up).

Mufasa

One of the trailers has a 1 second segment of what it looks like his parents on krypton about to send him off.

Yep!

I’ll have to find where there is some “twist” to the original story though.

(The Trailers are looking solid!)

Mufasa

It looks fantastic. I feel about this like I felt about Christopher Nolan’s first Batman, before it came out. I was not disappointed. I’m VERY excited by the trailer, and the actor actually looks like the “right” actor for the part, finally. I love that it looks like they are going to hit it from the angle of discovering Superman the MAN, and not just a vehicle to show off the practically invincible character everyone already knows. That’s the key, I think. What this movie seems to want to do, and NEEDS to do, is to develop Superman as a real character, and to put the story and his abilities in a universe that may not be possible, but is believable and one we want to believe in.

And good grief, it’s being Directed by Zack Snyder and produced by Christopher Nolan. Michael Shannon, one of my most talented actors working today, as the villain. I’ll eat my hat if it is not one of the best movies of 2013. And there are a LOT of good movies set to come out in 2013.

The ONLY thing I see potentially wrong with this movie is the choice to use Kevin Costner in it.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
fncj:

Good points!

I guess that’s what I’m sort og getting at!

(Again…great points!)

Mufasa[/quote]

How is batman doing with kids currently? I think the new superman has potential to equal that, whatever popularity it may be at the moment. Batman may be unpopular with kids these days for all I know.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure Batman is popular with the demographic of people who watch movies.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
It looks fantastic. I feel about this like I felt about Christopher Nolan’s first Batman, before it came out. I was not disappointed. I’m VERY excited by the trailer, and the actor actually looks like the “right” actor for the part, finally. I love that it looks like they are going to hit it from the angle of discovering Superman the MAN, and not just a vehicle to show off the practically invincible character everyone already knows. That’s the key, I think. What this movie seems to want to do, and NEEDS to do, is to develop Superman as a real character, and to put the story and his abilities in a universe that may not be possible, but is believable and one we want to believe in.

And good grief, it’s being Directed by Zack Snyder and produced by Christopher Nolan. Michael Shannon, one of my most talented actors working today, as the villain. I’ll eat my hat if it is not one of the best movies of 2013. And there are a LOT of good movies set to come out in 2013.

The ONLY thing I see potentially wrong with this movie is the choice to use Kevin Costner in it. [/quote]

I agree with everything but, The Kevin Costner part. I don’t get it? I always thought he was a good actor. Maybe I am missing something or it’s a joke?

Thanks, Cortez!

Story, story, story!

J.J. Abrams said you can have all the Special Effects in the World…but without a compelling story, you’ll get nowhere.

Interesting take that you pointed out…and for those of you who don’t know…“Smallville” asked the question: “What would it have been like growing up for Clark Kent, Lex Luthor and others?” As you pointed out, Cortez…“Smallville” gave you a very “believable” World of Superman growing up and coming of age.

It also DID touch on a grown Clarks issues…but mostly his angst when it came to his Love for Lois Lane.

Again…it should be fun!

Mufasa

Regarding Batman/Superman and their popularity with kids… It doesn’t have anything to do with these films. Kids like these characters because of cartoons.

Batman and superman both have their own cartoon series and that is what kids know. These films are intended for adults.

I am looking forward to it. I was never a particularly huge Superman fan but the movie looks good.

Any info on it? Storyline?

I’d like to see it true to the original comic book including the actual time periods. But I want the action/power to be as it is in CGI films of today. The innocents of the past contrasted with the power and fury of an over-the-top modern superhero is very appealing.

I’d love to see a hardcore, gritty, black+white film this way.

I don’t know, Gregron…

Pre-Teens…“Tweens”…about 7-12…ESPECIALLY males…are an important demographic…and for many the Movies themselves are important, both directly (many do see the Movies) and indirectly (through the parents).

Also as someone pointed out; the marketing for these things is one huge “blitz”; from cartoons (as you pointed out); to McDonald’s Toys, bedsheets, posters, etc…with the Movie being the central “hub” of the marketing blitz.

Again…the “key” will be the Story. There is no question that just curiosity alone will give this movie a great opening. Add the die-hard fans of “Superman”/“Smallville” and the comics…I don’t think that “MOS” will be a money-loser for the Producers and the studio. I guess the question is how large will it be.

Mufasa

I’m looking forward to it but my minor nitpick is that they took away his red underwear…I guess they thought it looked silly.

The thing is his whole outfit looks silly but we all got very used to it years ago so changing it too much (slightly different hues to the colors or textures to the material are OK) and you almost shoot yourself in the foot by drawing too much attention to it.

Anyone know if Lois Lane will still figure prominently? (I would think so…)

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Anyone know if Lois Lane will still figure prominently? (I would think so…)

Mufasa[/quote]

Lois is definitely there along with Zod, guna be awesome. Michael Shannon as Zod is perfect as well, pulls of being a cunt pretty well if anyone has seen Boardwalk Empire

Christopher Nolan will be the saving grace of this film(and bringing redemption from previous Superman films).

All the Superman movies watched were fucking terrible. I was reluctant about this until I saw who is producing it. This could be good…