T Nation

Superman, A Christian Movie?

Actually I think there’s nothing hidden about it. Did everyone else notice the extremely strong christian overtones to the movie? Portraying superman as the savior, they even used that word a few times in the movie!

it’s just a movie…

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/Superman.html

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
Actually I think there’s nothing hidden about it. Did everyone else notice the extremely strong christian overtones to the movie? Portraying superman as the savior, they even used that word a few times in the movie![/quote]

This upset you? Superman is a Christ story. So was The Matrix. Get over it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
TTewell342 wrote:
Actually I think there’s nothing hidden about it. Did everyone else notice the extremely strong christian overtones to the movie? Portraying superman as the savior, they even used that word a few times in the movie!

This upset you? Superman is a Christ story. So was The Matrix. Get over it.[/quote]

Jesus was hardly the first, Messiah stories are older than that, Mithras etc…

They just stole the same archetype…

Wait a minute…
Is he gay? Is he Christ?
Or is he the Gay Christ?

There was certainly quite a bit of Christ imagery in the movie. Wasn’t overdone, in my opinion.

There was also references to Atlas and Julius Ceasar.

The Christ angle is one that has been played up in the movies, even though the story was loosely based more on Moses. (Desperate parents send their only child away where he discovers great powers and becomes a leader of men and a champion of freedom.)

It’s also anecdotally stated that the Superman “S” is second only to the cross in terms of recognizable icons.

Well it not just the movie, the whole Superman story in general has fairly strong Christian overtones. I even remember reading that Superman was born from a ‘birthing matrix’ in the ship that carried him to Earth, implying a virgin birth.

[quote]orion wrote:
Professor X wrote:
TTewell342 wrote:

This upset you? Superman is a Christ story. So was The Matrix. Get over it.

Jesus was hardly the first, Messiah stories are older than that, Mithras etc…

They just stole the same archetype… [/quote]

“The World Needs a Hero.”
I’ll add : Always.

Wow.

Who would have thought that a story about a man who’s sent down from above by his father, has extrordinary powers, and saves the world - would have Christian overtones.

Shocking.

[quote]Anthony Roberts wrote:
Wow.

Who would have thought that a story about a man who’s sent down from above by his father, has extrordinary powers, and saves the world - would have Christian overtones.

Shocking. [/quote]

Not just that but references to Superman as the world’s “Savior” and a scene towards the end of the movie as he falls to earth with he arms outstretched and feet together in the shape of a crucifix. I know I’m not the only one who saw that.

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
he falls to earth with he arms outstretched and feet together in the shape of a crucifix. I know I’m not the only one who saw that.[/quote]

Another movie doing that? Shit.

Even for something as basic as eating 50 eggs in an hour, cinema has considered one of its characters crucified. (Paul Newman bloated and stretched out on the table afterwards, in “Cool Hand Luke”.) Don’t even get me started on comic book movies. Nothing new.

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
Anthony Roberts wrote:
Wow.

Shocking.

Not just that but references to Superman as the world’s “Savior” and a scene towards the end of the movie as he falls to earth with he arms outstretched and feet together in the shape of a crucifix. I know I’m not the only one who saw that.[/quote]

This shit is so overdone; every director thinks he’s super clever because he has one of his characters in a crucifix pose at one point.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
TTewell342 wrote:
Anthony Roberts wrote:
Wow.

Shocking.

Not just that but references to Superman as the world’s “Savior” and a scene towards the end of the movie as he falls to earth with he arms outstretched and feet together in the shape of a crucifix. I know I’m not the only one who saw that.

This shit is so overdone; every director thinks he’s super clever because he has one of his characters in a crucifix pose at one point.
[/quote]

Clever? I am more amazed that some of you didn’t understand what inspired the story to begin with. Superman has ALWAYS been a Christ story from the moment they came up with his currently accepted origin. This isn’t something new.

Anyone with any religious background at all got that vibe from the very first movie released in the late 70’s. It simply wasn’t as blatant so perhaps it “flew” over the heads of those who claim to be against all religious influence. I am still wondering if this is upsetting the original poster…and why.

[quote]simon-hecubus wrote:
Wait a minute…
Is he gay? Is he Christ?
Or is he the Gay Christ?[/quote]

Waitaminute, Simon…

Who are you referring to?
Are you saying Jesus was gay?

(Thought I’d ask before I got the wrong message.)

(If so, give me a freakin’ break!)

Christianity is the biggest religion in the west, so it shouldnt suprise you that are similarities. Alot of people can relate to the story in some way. Plus,in this case, I think they were just sticking with the classic formula. No doubt the original creaters would have been influenced by christianity.

You can see the same sort of thing in movies from other parts of the world where religious influences are very diferent. Look at a Boliwood film and you’ll see a heavy Hindu influence. Same sort of thing.

I dosnt offend me, even if I don’t agree or share the same beliefs. After all, it’s just a bit of entertainment.

Anyone with any religious background at all got that vibe from the very first movie released in the late 70’s. It simply wasn’t as blatant… I am still wondering if this is upsetting the original poster…and why.[/quote]

I agree whole heartedly with that point. I didn’t say it upset me. It doesn’t at all I just thought it was quite blatant as you said. I still thought it was a good movie and I’m not gonna go protest the movie or anything.

well i hadnt noticed any christian overtones but now that it’s been mentioned, that explained something to me. something superman says at the very end of the movie. i dont wanna mention it as it might spoil an important part of the movie, but the sentence makes much more sense when you realize the christian ideas.

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
Actually I think there’s nothing hidden about it. Did everyone else notice the extremely strong christian overtones to the movie? Portraying superman as the savior, they even used that word a few times in the movie![/quote]

On the news tonight there was a big thing about how he no longer says he stands for the american way… it was the only part they cut from

“stand for truth justice and the american way”

havent seen it but the news reckons he still says that he stands for truth and justice…

apparently the film makers want the movie to make money overseas

TTewell342 wrote:

This upset you? Superman is a Christ story. So was The Matrix. Get over it.[/quote]

who on earth said it upset him?

how do you get that he was upset by that?