T Nation

Superhero Strength and Hypertrophy

Hey CT,

Of all the many workouts I have done I think your Superhero Complexes were some of my favorite because I liked the minimalist whole body nature of the Press/Squat and Bench/Dead layout. I liked the frequency as I found squatting 3x a week to be a bit much on other programs I tried.

I was wondering if there is a way to design a program that keeps this layout but adjusts the parameters for strength and growth, rather than max metabolic effect.

Something like

Monday: Press/Squat 5x5 (double progression)
Tuesday: Bench/Dead 5x5 (double progression)

Thursday: Press/Squat body-builder style work
Friday: Bench/Dead body-builder work

I actually might be moving more towards a home gym layout soon, so I'm looking for ways to stay minimalist that dont involve lots of dumb bells, machines, KB's, etc...

DAY 1
Squat
Bench press
Chinese row (chest supported barbell row)

DAY 2
Deadlift
Military press (or push press)
Chin-ups (or high pulls)

The first time you do a workout you use a 3-5 double progression model (for 4-5 sets)

The second time I would use a “long cluster triples”… using 70-75% of your max… 30 total reps in 6 minutes or less (for each exercise). When you can complete the 30 reps in less than 6 minutes you add 5-10lbs… if you need more than 6 minutes, keep the same weight next time.

Thanks CT

Original superhero/star complex had 5 movements across strength-speed curve. Is this format still kept or replaced by 5x5 double profession?

I really like this style too. Minimalist whole body powerful stuff

The way I just understood it was reducing it to a single movement (So its not a complex anymore), switching the focus from metabolic effect to strength.

Monday:

Bench 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Chinese Row 5x5

Tuesday:

Press 5x5
Squat 5x5
Pull Ups 5x5

Thursday:

Bench 30 reps with 70-75%, increase weight when you complete it in under 6 minute
Dead, same
Chinese Row, same

Friday

Press/Squat/Pullup, same protocol as above