Superfood with PWO Surge

I noticed that Chad Waterbury wrote in one of his articles (Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION)that it is beneficial to put Superfood in ones recovery drink, but he doesn’t specify why. I was wondering if you could elaborate on why. Is it the alkalinity that helps? Also, does Superfood slow gastric emptying like whole vegetables do? Thanks for the help!

Some sources (Dr. Berardi, Nutrient Timing) suggest that the body is primed for nutrient uptake postworkout and an insulin spike would help boost absorption of nutrients (Superfood in this case). But I believe it has been stated that antioxidants directly post workout inhibit certain anabolic properties.

I’d rather use Superfood as part of a meal replacement shake. Worry about muscle building in the workout window.

[quote]snagcliffs wrote:
I noticed that Chad Waterbury wrote in one of his articles (Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION)that it is beneficial to put Superfood in ones recovery drink, but he doesn’t specify why. I was wondering if you could elaborate on why. Is it the alkalinity that helps? Also, does Superfood slow gastric emptying like whole vegetables do? Thanks for the help![/quote]

You’ll have to ask Chad why he recommends what he does, but there are a plethora of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients in Biotest Superfood. This is why I usually have it in my pre- or post-workout drink.

Since the majority of the fiber from the included fruits and vegetables has been removed, gastric emptying is not slowed after consuming Biotest Superfood.

Thanks guys! I’ll go kill myself in the gym today and try it out.

I believe Dr. Bowden as well as one coach on here have mentioned articles that state that taking in anti-oxidants post workout actually diminish the results from exercise. Something to do with the fact that your body rallies back from the exercise on it’s own, and thus improves it’s immune system, insulin sensitivity, etc… But if you supply the body with the anti-oxidants right away, it won’t need to build itself back up.

Or something of that idea. I doubt it’s anything too detrimental, but I’ve seen it mentioned a few times, so I tend to keep my anti-oxidants out of pre, para, and post workout.