Superfood Vitamin Content

It seems as though this question is being swept under the rug too often. I’ve been trying to get some information regarding vitamin & mineral content of Superfood via PM with TC, but have had no luck.

I really love the idea of this product, and wholeheartedly want to believe this is a complete multivitamin replacement, however, not listing any of this info on the label is frustrating. I understand that content varies, but I’m sure some sort of average or estimate per serving could be disclosed.

Afterall, the label states that the Orange is 40% vitamin C, so how can the content not be known? If there are X amount of mg’s of orange extract used, multiplying by .4 should answer the question, no?

Furthemore, other freeze dried extract powders with some similar ingredients disclose a full label based on the USRDA. Unfortunately, those don’t come close to a full dose of daily vitamins.

I’m certainly not trying to be a pain, but Biotest really needs to answer these questions before people ditch their multi and "80% of their fruit and veggie intake.

[quote]bkca19 wrote:
It seems as though this question is being swept under the rug too often. I’ve been trying to get some information regarding vitamin & mineral content of Superfood via PM with TC, but have had no luck.

I really love the idea of this product, and wholeheartedly want to believe this is a complete multivitamin replacement, however, not listing any of this info on the label is frustrating. I understand that content varies, but I’m sure some sort of average or estimate per serving could be disclosed.

Afterall, the label states that the Orange is 40% vitamin C, so how can the content not be known? If there are X amount of mg’s of orange extract used, multiplying by .4 should answer the question, no?

Furthemore, other freeze dried extract powders with some similar ingredients disclose a full label based on the USRDA. Unfortunately, those don’t come close to a full dose of daily vitamins.

I’m certainly not trying to be a pain, but Biotest really needs to answer these questions before people ditch their multi and "80% of their fruit and veggie intake.

[/quote]

First off, no one should ever ditch 80% of their fruit and vegetable intake in favor of any supplement. That’s just plain wrong.

Biotest Superfood is meant to supplement one’s fruit and vegetable intake, not replace it.

While most of the staff here use Biotest Superfood in place of a multi due to it’s high ORAC factor, it’s not specifically meant to be a vitamin/mineral replacement.

So, if you’re concerned with getting x milligrams of certain vitamins and minerals daily, keep using a multi.

I’d rather focus on getting my fruit and vegetable intake from as wide a variety of sources as possible, including Biotest Superfood, rather than worrying about the specific content of any certain vitamins and minerals in my diet.

BKCA19 has a good point… I’d also be interested.

What’s the point really? do you really need to know that you’re getting 12354353% of your DV of vitamin B.

eat fruits/veggies, supplement with Superfood

will it make a difference knowing or not knowing?

How soon we forget…Biotest is a supplement COMPANY…and the goal of any company is to MAKE MONEY.

Think about it.

To be fair to Biotest, I do buy some of their products because they have worked for me. Some I’ve tried with no results. Those I don’t buy.

Simple.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
What’s the point really? do you really need to know that you’re getting 12354353% of your DV of vitamin B.

eat fruits/veggies, supplement with Superfood

will it make a difference knowing or not knowing?[/quote]

You don’t read food labels? “Hey, it’s just protein. Why do you care if it’s 25 or 50 grams? Eat protein, supplement with protein powder, and that’s it.”

Some people want to know if they are meeting x% of their RDA for a given vitamin. I happen to NOT fall into that category of people.

But to say those people are foolish or ignorant or whatever is, well, foolish and ignorant.

Oh, and for those who don’t know. The reason some (like me) don’t track RDA for a given vitamin is simple: We don’t know how much of a vitamin we need. And too much of a vitamin is actually pro-radical. That is, too much of, say, Vitamin C, creates free radicals that ravage your body.

So we just say, “I’m going to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables.”

That’s not the most analytical approach. But we don’t know what we need, and we know that too much is bad. So we do what we can given available knowledge.

It’s also worth noting that, from the get-go, Biotest has not put additional vitamins and minerals in their supplements. Even its meal replacements did not have V&Ms. And years ago TC was talking about the “over-vitaminization” of bodybuilders.

All that said, I think you have the right, as a consumer, to ask for specific V&M content. If a company does not give you that information, you have the right not to purchase the product.

Guys, these are natural fruits and vegetables. Unadulterated. Fruits of the earth.

One orange, or for that matter one watermelon, mango, etc., has a different vitamin and mineral profile than the next orange, watermelon, or mango.

As you know, vitamin and mineral content depends on the soil, amount of sunlight, temperatures, and even genetic strain of the fruit (or vegetable).

We would have to independently analyze each tub of Superfood to give you the amount of vitamins and minerals in the product.

That’s like going to the grocery store clerk holding two cabbages and demanding to know the vitamin and mineral content of each. (I tried that. Guy pelted me with over ripe bananas.)

First off, I’m really not trying to put down Biotest. I obviously believe in Biotest products and buy plenty of them.

However, I’m really confused about why you guys don’t at least average out the nutritional value of your extracts. For example, as I said previously, if you know your orange extract is 40% vitamin C (as labeled), how do you not know how much vitamin C your orange extract yields? Or, does that mean that it is at least 40% Vitamin C?

Furthermore, in regards to the orange extract and based on average proportion of ingredient, is it safe to say that your orange extract contains at least 111 mg’s of Vitamin C (5000mg/18extracts = 277.8mg X .4 = 111.1mg)? Assuming, of course, that because the orange is listed second, it would have at least the average proportion of the 18 ingredients.

And, for the record, I don’t care if Superfood has 5% or 5000% of any given V&M–I take it primarily for the broad spectrum phytonutrient content. However, I like full disclosure on things that impact both my health and wallet, especially when the product was clearly marketed as a multiV replacement (despite what ModBrian posted earlier in this thread).

[quote]TC wrote:
We would have to independently analyze each tub of Superfood to give you the amount of vitamins and minerals in the product.
[/quote]

Well you know what needs to be done, TC.

:slight_smile:

I understand individually analyzing each batch is not going to happen, but perhaps TC could shed some light on how much of the fruit or vegetable is used prior to freeze drying for a single batch of Superfood. You see, I would feel much better about Superfood if I new how much fruit/veggies go into a tub.

While I know fruits/veggies don’t come with a label, I also know that if I eat an orange, apple, handful of blueberries, and 2 cups of spinach etc, every day, then I’m on the right track. I’m far less clear when dealing with powder, however, the powder in a tub of Superfood started as a real live fruit/veggie that I could grasp in terms of nutrition content.

I’m not asking for a list of extracts in mg’s, rather an idea of how many blueberries/oranges/apples/kale/pomegranate etc are needed for 1 tub.

One teaspoon of Biotest’s Superfood is equivalent to eating between 10 and 12 average servings of fruits and vegetables.

Not quite what I was looking for. Remember, this topic is about what’s not on the label.

Are you taking a multi-vitamin? If you are, just continue taking it.

Are you thinking of trying Superfood? Buy, and use it; if you don’t like it or find it working in your favor, discontinue it.

If you need a specific vitamin/mineral due to I’m sure there is a supplement store in your area that will allow you to purchase that specific vitamin/mineral so you can take the precise dosage, daily.

Honestly, thats as far as I would think it through.

I’m not attacking you.

I wouldn’t mind knowing the percentage of fruit in each tub. For example is it 5.5555556% of each of the listed 18 fruits and vegetables(equal portions) or are some more and some less. A definite answer is always good considering no other source for such an answer is available.