T Nation

Supercharging My Cobra

I am thinking of getting a supercharger for my Cobra, and I just need more info from people who have had experience. Once you got one, how much different did the car feel? I found a few that seem pretty good, adding around 135 hp.

What do you think of that one? Although it does cost a lot, it does seem pretty decent for that money. I also like how it comes with a ECM chip.

Attached is a pic of my Cobra.

I’d suggest going to a Mustang site (Stangnet)

how many miles are on the engine?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I’d suggest going to a Mustang site (Stangnet)

how many miles are on the engine?

[/quote]

Less than 51K.

I’d head over to svtperformance

I personally wouldn’t supercharge a daily driver, only put a turbo it. However if you have another car for daily use, then it’s your preference.

[quote]Tyrant wrote:

I personally wouldn’t supercharge a daily driver, only put a turbo it. However if you have another car for daily use, then it’s your preference.[/quote]

Why not? I have a Grand Prix GTP (supercharger) and it’s my daily driver. I love spanking stangs in it on the way to work.

The series 2 GM engines are built from the start to be supercharged, and the superchargers they use aren’t running all that much pressure.

Aftermarket performance parts of any kind rarely increase the reliability of a vehicle. Head bolts, beearing caps, etc… will always have limits. On your car GM shipped it out the door knowing that the whole drive train from the connecting rods to the drive axles would be fine for a long time with the amount of power that engine makes, with the amount of pressure it’s supercharger churns out from the factory because they engineered every last detail of it to be sure that it would.

If you doubled your boost with an after market supercharger, and increased your engine’s power output by 100 horse though I garentee things would start breaking (if not in the engine, in the transmission).

I assume that’s not the OP’s daily driver though since he’s got 4 grand to dump on a supercharger for a car that’s probably 15 years old. Like the other guys said check the mustang sites.

I SC’d my '05 GT. Night and day in terms of what it turned into…a real monster. Was at about 270 rwhp to about 470 rwhp.

SVTPerformance is a good one, and I like Allfordmustangs.com too. both great resources.

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:
The series 2 GM engines are built from the start to be supercharged, and the superchargers they use aren’t running all that much pressure.

Aftermarket performance parts of any kind rarely increase the reliability of a vehicle. Head bolts, beearing caps, etc… will always have limits. On your car GM shipped it out the door knowing that the whole drive train from the connecting rods to the drive axles would be fine for a long time with the amount of power that engine makes, with the amount of pressure it’s supercharger churns out from the factory because they engineered every last detail of it to be sure that it would.

If you doubled your boost with an after market supercharger, and increased your engine’s power output by 100 horse though I garentee things would start breaking (if not in the engine, in the transmission).[/quote]

Good thing the Cobra isn’t GM and is a Ford.

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:
I assume that’s not the OP’s daily driver though since he’s got 4 grand to dump on a supercharger for a car that’s probably 15 years old. Like the other guys said check the mustang sites.[/quote]

I don’t have the money yet. I am saving up right now to get it. I just would like to know whether it is a good idea or not. And I only drive it in the summer. In the winter, I just drive a truck. Getting around in snow in the Cobra is near impossible.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Tyrant wrote:

I personally wouldn’t supercharge a daily driver, only put a turbo it. However if you have another car for daily use, then it’s your preference.[/quote]

Why not? I have a Grand Prix GTP (supercharger) and it’s my daily driver. I love spanking stangs in it on the way to work.[/quote]

Superchargers are excellent for dds. The sound is addicting

It’s well worth it. Just make sure you take it to a reputable tuner once it’s installed to make sure it’s safe and you can get maximum power and mileage out of it.

[quote]binky wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Tyrant wrote:

Why not? I have a Grand Prix GTP (supercharger) and it’s my daily driver. I love spanking stangs in it on the way to work.[/quote]

[/quote]

Unless you drive in snow.

IMHO, is you need to go F/I with a DD and you’ll see snow, I’d suggest getting a Centri or a Turbo. Cuz the Twin Screw/Roots style blowers will make it impossible to get traction in even a dusting of snow.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Tyrant wrote:

Man, those cars you can do so much to for not that much money, all considering. I know a guy who has his GTP Daytona at mid 300hp and hasn’t really spent that much. Too bad it’s FWD though.

another potential option, Rotrex: http://www.rotrex.com/Home/Supercharger_Experience/Details.aspx?kit_id=2cfc0ec2-da0a-4864-9cd4-2c94385320aa. You get supercharger-like power without adding heat to the intake charge.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:

[quote]binky wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Tyrant wrote:

[/quote]

Unless you drive in snow.

IMHO, is you need to go F/I with a DD and you’ll see snow, I’d suggest getting a Centri or a Turbo. Cuz the Twin Screw/Roots style blowers will make it impossible to get traction in even a dusting of snow.[/quote]

I have no traction now.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

If you doubled your boost with an after market supercharger, and increased your engine’s power output by 100 horse though I garentee things would start breaking (if not in the engine, in the transmission).[/quote]

Good thing the Cobra isn’t GM and is a Ford. [/quote]

That was all directed at the dude with the front wheel drive Pontiac. Your Mustang is slightly more hotrod mod friendly.

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

[quote]ukrainian wrote:

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

Good thing the Cobra isn’t GM and is a Ford. [/quote]

That was all directed at the dude with the front wheel drive Pontiac. Your Mustang is slightly more hotrod mod friendly.[/quote]

Doesn’t matter if the 3800 series II was developed from the start to be supercharged. ANY car will start breaking down if you don’t add supporting mods (exhaust/tranny/ect) before you start adding hp.

What do you mean by more hot rod mod friendly? Other than being a pony car the only thing the the Mustang has over GPs is the sheer amount of aftermarket support. It’s the American Civic.

But I digress, OP check out those forums the other guys posted for ya and do your research before you drop that kind of cash.

In addition to the amount of aftermarket parts? Easier drive train upgrades, and a sturdier configuration from the factory.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:
ANY car will start breaking down if you don’t add supporting mods (exhaust/tranny/ect) before you start adding hp.[/quote]

In any event, that right there was exactly the point. Somebody said they wouldn’t supercharge their daily driver you asked why not. It seems you knew the answer.