Supercardrives - One More Attempt

315 bench seems impressive in real life.
There are many people doing it on social media and probably here but I have rarely ever seen anyone do it in an actual gym (maybe a handful of times at best).
Seen 225 many times though; never saw 4 plates

I’ve seen 4 plates once, 315 semi frequently at more serious gyms (they frown at this practice in Planet Fitness), 225 is common for experienced lifters.

I saw Brad Castleberry bench like 7 plates on Instagram, so there’s that…

2 Likes

Was the 4 plate person natural? I still have yet to see it.
Even 225 is relatively rare at my gym (but this isn’t a powerlifter gym or anything, just normal city people), I’ve seen 225 a couple times (in this gym specifically, seen it other gyms more times)
315 is very rare seen (for me), maybe I actually only saw it once now that I think about it (and not in this gym).

I won’t speculate if the person was natural or not, but bodyweight relevant to lift certainly plays a role.

If it is this infrequent, why do you think it would be so easily attainable for you? Genuine question

I also lift in LA (aka the Land of Anabolics), but the gym I go to now is only mid-level. Nothing like a Golds gym - those gyms are 10/10 and you will get put in your place quick lol. It’s good to keep the ego in check

1 Like

Yeah I guess it isn’t easily attainable for me actually, also might just be my gym, haven’t been to any of those major gyms like Gold’s, might be common there. It’s definitely common on YouTube lol.

Were you comparing yourself to what you would see people do on social media?

Oh yes definitely. I was seeing many skinny kids do 225 bench on TikTok/Youtube/Instagram so I was under the impression that it is supposed to be very easy.

… Bruh

3 Likes

Well, 315 is less impressive when you are 260 lbs (about what I was the first time I hit it).

1 Like

So it’s clear getting a 225 bench isn’t a gateway to achieve your physique goals.

4 Likes

I think he’s concerned over this 225 bench more than anything else

2 Likes

This is how I feel personally, I really really want to see @supercardrives run Deep Water Beginner or Super Squats. But most likely he isn’t up for the challenge.

I think those programs will be very humbling for him. (Haven’t run Super Squats but man does it look super hard).

2 Likes

I think some perspective on RPE10 would certainly be gained. I’m in favor of either, but probably Deep Water, assuming he puts his all into it.

3 Likes

If he ran Deep Water Beginner for 6 weeks, following the diet, and the conditioning I would gain so much respect for him.

I’ll take a look at this program is it this to be specific: Deep Water Program Spreadsheet (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced) (2022) - Lift Vault

dude, you should just delete social media, in all seriousness. I did it awhile ago and my life is better for it. You would be better off just not watching the content you are choosing to watch. It’s really skewing your perception of reality in a bad way.

It is. Very few people ever get there, especially at lower body weights. I was beyond excited when I hit it for the first time. I think I’d been lifting for around 12 years on and off when I did it (because again. this is a long process that you still haven’t fully grasped).

I was close at my best, when I actually cared about bench. My best was JUST under, I hit 385 in competition with a pause, and 395 in training. 405 was there if I had kept at it, but I got into strongman and my priorities changed.

I know a lot of people who can bench 4+ plates though. If you train at a regular commercial gym, you may never see it. If you train at a facility like any of the ones I have over the past 5 years, you could see it anytime you’re at the gym. I train with some monsters. I’ve got a buddy who hit a 385 axle clean and press for a double the other day. Can you imagine if I let THAT kind of stuff into my head and thought it was normal? LOL.

As a side note, 225 and even 315 are very much doable for just about any natural trainee, if you’re willing to dedicate the work. I can pretty much guarantee if you put in the work I have over the last 20 years, you’d have a 315+ bench too. I’m not natural now, but I was when I hit those numbers.

3 Likes

The deep water e-book is free. I recommend reading that.

3 Likes

If we go all the way back to the beginning post in Bigger Stronger Leaner, the concern was DB bench.

This is an Ego issue. A fragile Ego issue. An issue so bad OP has trouble accepting constructive criticism…even when he asks for it.
OP’s self esteem is so low he’s stuck in comparisons to anyone that has more than him and justifications on why he doesn’t have it - genetics, blood levels, surplus, deficit, insulin resistance, on and on. Massive pendulum swings in neurotic attempts to grasp at reasons.
Reality is - you are a basic beginner… and there is NOTHING wrong with that.
You did not start seven years ago. You spent seven years staying on the periphery avoiding free weights because they intimidated you. You spent your time on pin loaded machines that provided you very little resistance to achieve your goals. You are just now starting - kind of. Your supplemental work sucks. Why - because it’s put you back in your comfort zone - machines with resistance profiles that do not help you. Fact - your leg extension weight is almost as much as your squat…and for more reps…when you follow the program that is and do the other lifts required.

Bottom line - you are fundamentally weak. You’re a 23 year old man that can’t do a single BW pull-up, but you obsess over a 225# bench. You’re a 23 year old man that can’t do a single BW dip, but you obsess over a 225# bench. You want a muscular chest and a big bench # to feed your fragile Ego and be a peacock as though that is the most important measure of your mancard.
You are simply not ready for a program like the one you are running because you have no base level of strength that allows you to put weight on the bar. But that Ego tells you different.
Get off that program and commit to one that will build your WHOLE body equally and fundamentally. Obsess over getting ONE pull-up. ONE dip.
You’ve received a monumental amount of supportive posts in a Log that is essentially turned into reality TV viewing for us masses. Get on the right track and drop the drama.

Like others, I’ll recommend a program that I think would help you immensely. I’ve had very good success training day 1 beginners with it and it WORKS. Paul Carter’s Base Building. It’s simple. Four exercises a day, four days a week. One main lift and 3 supplemental lifts. Barbell, Dumbbell, or bodyweight. Your main lift is with a weight that you can do 8 times - no grinding. No RPE 10. You don’t add weight until you can do that same weight 15 times comfortably. If it takes 6 weeks, ok. If it takes 12 weeks, ok. It doesn’t matter. The beauty is the focus is on the reps - NOT the weight. Who cares. It also has three built in goals for you to hit each main lift. Goal 1 - beat your first set reps from last week. If you did 8 reps last week, get 9 this week. Goal 2 is the second set where you have to get 50% of the 1st set reps with 60 seconds rest. Got 8 first set - get at least 4 reps next. Next week - beat that number too. Goal 3 - beat the total number of 1 and 2 combined each week. So, even if you miss 1 goal, you have 2 others to hit. Perfect for an Ego that needs confidence. If you’re not breaking PRs each week, you’re just not trying hard enough. The weight won’t be the issue. A built in truth detector.

You would be best served with chasing rep goals over weight goals. You’ll make more progress. But you have to be willing to check your own bullshit.

1. Accept you are a beginner. Tell yourself the truth. You are a beginner with free weight because you spent seven years doing anything else.
  2. Check your Ego at the door because EVERYBODY starts somewhere. Some start with more, others start with less - but that doesn’t matter because it’s about you and what you can do now. Deal with it and get better. Just one rep at a time and be ok with that
  3. Train what you CAN’T see in the mirror harder than the stuff you can see.
  4. My favorite Wendler quote - “Don’t be in a hurry to fail”. It’s not about the weight but what you can do with it. Look how fast you topped out at 155#. Read that quote again.
  5. Do a damn pullup and dip without help. just ONE. That’s one more than you can do today. Then chase another one… If I can get kids who can’t do a single chin to doing clean reps with 25# hanging around their waist, you can do it too.
  6. Video your squat depth. I’m curious…

Be the change you want to see supercar

22 Likes

I benched 413 in my last meet

My final powerlifting meet I did 413 at 253# bodyweight. Lifetime drug free (well, at least lifetime PED free, lol).

4 Likes

@darthmason that was a badass post, and a beautiful summary of the past 900+ posts. @supercardrives don’t just fizzle away dude. Do some logging and get some work under your belt.

4 Likes