Supercardrives - One More Attempt

If you’re in the mindset to read something else that would probably be very beneficial to you, there is an excellent article (also by CT) about Progressive Overload that might help you out a lot. Progressive Overload Works, Unless You Do This
This will probably highlight some of the oversight you’ve had in training/goals. I find it helpful to re-read it every now and then to set me straight.

1 Like

Whoops, almost forgot to update today’s log.

30 November 2021 Legs Abs

30 November 2021 - General stuff:

• Weighed in at 78.3kg
  • Slept 6h5m
  • Calories still 2900, lets see how the weight moves…

30 November 2021 - Legs Abs Workout:

• Squat - 3x6 - 205 lbs
  • Romanian Deadlift - 3x8 - 165 lbs
  • Hip Thrust Machine - 3x12 - 165 lbs
  • Leg Extension - 3x12 - 190 lbs (-10 lbs from last, better isolation)
  • Leg Curl - 3x12 - 160 lbs
  • Standing Calf Raise - 3x15 - 290 lbs
  • Ab crunch machine - N/A, almost fucked up my lower abs on this today on the first set, I pulled something hard when i brought my leg up; luckily i stopped the moment I felt it so I think I can recover from this quick. Using ice pack and gel to boost
4 Likes

Weekly weight gain goal is around 0.75lb (0.4kg), still 2900 calories to see if this really is my true maintenance, I’ll up to 3100 soon if weight is flat this week as well.

You gotta hang in there with your metabolism and composition leading the way, not your wants/desires.

What it seems like you want is to hit the gas and get an immediate response.

Is that accurate?

1 Like

No way.
I’ve tried hitting the gas before too many times, but one thing about high BHP RWD cars on slippery roads is that hitting the gas is an immediate crash onto the side.

I’ve been at 2900 calories for a few days now, I’m still staying at 2900 for the foreseeable future and observing if I gain/lose weight, performance in gym, then I’ll see what to do/update.

So far it looks like weight has been superflat at 78.3kg but I am still not going to jump the gun just yet.

Ok. Good.

Patience man. This is a long run strategy.

3 Likes

Yeah man, not going to rush things. Just focusing on BW/lift-strength/waist/mirror.
I should probably upload more physique updates pics here just so others can help me keep an eye out.

Focus on consistency of action. That is the primary determinant in everything else.

Like, right now, it’s great to see some changes, truly, but you’re really establishing a healthy baseline.

Get these good habits entrenched. Give the work some time to work.

3 Likes

you asked, so here goes.

I focus on process goals, not outcome goals.

Today is perfect for this. Set 3-5 process goals for December.

For example… x hours of cardio, x number of training sessions, average 2900 calories w/ x grams of protein per day.

On December 31, make sure you hit your goals and set new ones for January.

Presuming you’ve set good goals, you’ll discover your outcome goals are falling into place on their own.

I don’t use energy, as you do, thinking, second-guessing, or wondering about things like my wrist measurement.

Set the process goals, do the things every day that get those goals reached.

12 Likes

This post is everything I wanted to write, said better.

1 Like

Amen!

1 Like

Yeah, I think I have mainly defined outcome goals.

I think at this point I don’t have any issue against the process or routine or cheat meals or whatever, I’m fine with training 5 days a week every morning (haven’t skipped a gym day in 2 months), the main thing now is just diet, which is clean but I just need to make sure the process part of X calories with Yg/protein is on point. Protein is also fine (I’m over 200g day in any case), I just need to find the “X” in “X calories” that aligns with those outcome goals.

So let’s stick with process goal of 2900 calories/day for now and see how that aligns with the outcome goal of slow weight-gain and strength increase.

The other “process goals,” which I think is more of a routine/habit and wont fluctuate is:

• Not skipping gym (I already know I wont skip unless something out of mind happens)
  • Sticking with diet (I already know this will happen, I don’t do cheat meals)
  • Lower stress (:rofl: )
1 Like

What are your goals for December?

To be honest, I dont have any process-related gym goals, I already know I won’t quit or halfass or skip gym or travel anywhere (unless again something completely out of mind happens). I also know I won’t cheat on my diet.

The main “process” goal is finding out if my calories are working towards my outcome goals.

In any case for December end, the only thing I have is an outcome goal, which is hopefully:

• bench press 165 for 3 sets of 5 → biggest one
  • squat 235 for 3 sets of 5
  • deadlift 245 for 3 sets of 5
  • dumbbell shoulder press 55s for 3 sets

I dont really have any issue with commitment or quitting gym or skipping gym, or cheating on diet, well past that phase at this point.

With the current gym routine and if the diet is working, I should be able to hit these goals most likely.

I guess also:

• Increase body weight with some lean muscle mass so that there is at least a little visual difference, I guess i’ll upload some pics this sunday and compare against that end of next month.
1 Like

Never…? Cheat meals can serve a few good purposes if utilized properly. Mainly as a mental reprieve from “dieting”, but can also be helpful for days where you need extra help recovering.

I plan my “cheat meals” so they align on my leg days because i usually need a bit of a re-feed to help recover (I’m in 1k cal daily deficit) but i’m also only about 250cal over goal numbers on those days. Or i might be a total fatass and starve myself a few days during the week to offset a full buffet mode one day during the weekend. Still, the mental reprieve is the most beneficial outcome to “cheat meals” IMO

Haven’t done any cheat meals since I started this log, I don’t know, I’ve just lost the cravings at this point and I don’t miss it to be completely fair, personally feel better mentally…

Now if you ask me 4-5 months ago, every day was a cheat day

nothing wrong with this, just know that diets without a planned break tend to result in unplanned breaks, which tend to involve whole containers of ice cream on the couch and lifetime movie specials (sarcasm). Planning a mental reprieve helps to stay on track when it is easy to fall off, if that makes sense. Not advocating for you to start putting in cheat meals where they aren’t needed, but if you find yourself going too hard on an unplanned cheat day - it’s time you start scheduling “controlled cheat days” IMO.

Yeah I hear you.
At this moment, I literally have no cravings. I walk by pizzas being made in store, chips all the time.
This time I really feel I have changed my mindset big time and the momentum has been going well. Let’s see, 100% though if i start feeling any craving I’ll start introducing planned cheat days to avoid those binges, but right now, my motivation is stronger than ever, I can always have food later on.

1 Like

Some current physique pics, night of 30/11
Not in great shape obviously, body fat percentage is still quite high; again my waist is actually only 31.5" around navel (or slightly under) but quite undermuscled. Hopefully pics show progres going forward.

@dagill2 @throwawayfitness @Andrewgen_Receptors @boilerman @SkyzykS @mnben87

5 Likes

Week to week is a good idea, but those incremental changes aren’t going to be as clear as when you look back month over month, 6 months, etc.

Like, me at 145 lbs didn’t look much different than me at 150. But 145-155 was a big difference, and 155-170 was like a completely different animal.

1 Like