T Nation

Super Soluble Vitargo


#1

Has anyone used this? Here's some information on it;

1/ The original study on Vitargo, performed at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden in 2000, found Vitargo replenishes glycogen levels in your muscles 70% faster than any other sports drink carbohydrate! This means recovery after exercise has been clinically proven to occur much faster with Vitargo than ordinary sports drinks.

Here is the clinical study;
www.myprotein.co.uk/img/pdf/KarinPiehl.pdf

2/ In 2001, a further Swedish study, found Vitargo has a very low osmolality, giving you a rapid stomach emptying, in fact 80% faster than with ordinary sports drinks. This shows how Vitargo vastly reduces the chances of stomach bloating and cramping often associated with other carbohydrate drinks.

Here is the clinical study;
www.myprotein.co.uk/img/pdf/vitargo_gastric.pdf

3/ A study performed in 2007 found that the ingestion of Vitargo, post workout, resulted in faster and greater increases in blood glucose and serum insulin concentrations than a low molecular weight carbohydrate. This has very positive implications for those who partake in training sessions, or indeed competitions, where rapid re-synthesis of the muscle glycogen store is required and performance must be maintained during repeated bouts of exercise.

Molecular Weight;
Vitargo Pure - 500,000 - 700,000
Maltodextrin - 1,000 - 10,000
Starch Syrup - 250 - 1,000
Dextrose - 180

Here is the clinical study;
www.myprotein.co.uk/img/pdf/VitargoMaltMaxEnd07.pdf

I was thinking of getting some to supplement carb intake when I start the "Carb Cycling Codex", I just wanted to know if any of you guys have has any experiences using it.

LR


PWO Carbs
PWO Carbs
#2

Guess that means no one knows what it is or has used it.

LR


#3

Never used Vitargo, but WMS is supposedly very similar. I use WMS and think its just fine. Points 1 & 3 are probably splitting hairs, because if it actually does replenish glycogen 70% faster, what does that translate into, 20 mins sooner? Big deal.

I use WMS because of point 2. I had heard about the gastric emptying and how this leads to minimal bloating. I agree with this. I can have about 100g WMS and 25g Whey 15 minutes pre workout and not feel sluggish during the workout. In fact, it feels as if I never had a shake prior. I then have the same shake PWO and I’m hungry with in 45 mins for my next meal. It “feels” that it leaves the stomach almost immediately.


#4

[quote]elusive wrote:
I use WMS because of point 2. I had heard about the gastric emptying and how this leads to minimal bloating. I agree with this. I can have about 100g WMS and 25g Whey 15 minutes pre workout and not feel sluggish during the workout. In fact, it feels as if I never had a shake prior. I then have the same shake PWO and I’m hungry with in 45 mins for my next meal. It “feels” that it leaves the stomach almost immediately.[/quote]

That’s exactly what I wanted it for. When working out at 8 in the morning, I don’t really want to feel heavy and bloated from a high carb meal while I’m in the gym.

This way I can have the high carb breakfast shake and head of to the gym without feeling half dead.

Like you say, it’d also be great for PWO as well, so I can have a carb meal 60-90 mins after the PWO shake and not feel like I’m overfeeding myself.

Thanks for the input, again!

LR


#5

I’m still wit ma roots!

Y’all niggas know, suga wata, mayonnaiz sanwitches, gatorade, OJ, 5-alive, kool-aid!


#6

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I’m still wit ma roots!

Y’all niggas know, suga wata, mayonnaiz sanwitches, gatorade, OJ, 5-alive, kool-aid!

[/quote]

rofl, gotta represent. I respect that.

1 luv.


#7

Wait, I thought Vitargo was just some silly trade name for WMS?

What is the difference?

Yes, I want to be spoon fed.


#8

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Wait, I thought Vitargo was just some silly trade name for WMS?

What is the difference?

Yes, I want to be spoon fed.[/quote]

To my understanding, Vitargo was originally extracted from potato starch (which is what most of the research is based on) and was patented with this formulation. Waxy Maize Starch CAN be derived from potato but usually is found as a corn extract. They both have VERY similar molecular weights and osmolalities. However, I’ve read that Vitargo is now made from corn as well (cheaper to produce this way with supposedly the same benefits).

So basically, Vitargo is now a “brand name” of high molecular weight carbohydrates. At least, thats my understanding.


#9

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Wait, I thought Vitargo was just some silly trade name for WMS?

What is the difference?

Yes, I want to be spoon fed.[/quote]

I don’t think it is, because the company I’m going to get it from also sells WMS as a stand alone supplement.

The WMS is £5.99 per KG

Vitargo £9.95 per KG

and Maltodextrin £2.99 per KG

LR


#10

“Vitargo® is manufactured using a patented process by Lyckeby Starch in Sweden. Vitargo® is a registered trademark.”

LR


#11

[quote]elusive wrote:
PonceDeLeon wrote:
Wait, I thought Vitargo was just some silly trade name for WMS?

What is the difference?

Yes, I want to be spoon fed.

To my understanding, Vitargo was originally extracted from potato starch (which is what most of the research is based on) and was patented with this formulation. Waxy Maize Starch CAN be derived from potato but usually is found as a corn extract. They both have VERY similar molecular weights and osmolalities. However, I’ve read that Vitargo is now made from corn as well (cheaper to produce this way with supposedly the same benefits).

So basically, Vitargo is now a “brand name” of high molecular weight carbohydrates. At least, thats my understanding.[/quote]

How does this help us?


#12

Explaining the difference between Vitargo and WMS, at least originally.

Vitargo = from potato or barley
WMS = from corn

However, all of the above have the same benefits/weight/osom… and interchangable names it seems.

This information may not help YOU, but thats most likely because you’re a lunatic chainsaw murderer.


#13

To my knowledge, Vitargo can be made from most plant starches.

The first few studies out on it were potato based and the more recent ones were corn based. From what I understand, waxy maize and Vitargo are very similar but that the Vitargo has a higher starch content.

I’m a bit suspicious of the most recent research claiming that it had 23% greater improvement in a repeated test. They used a 15 min bike test, ingested Vitargo, rested 2 hours, and retested. If you use an 8:1 recovery level, it really doesn’t matter what carb you ingest, you’re going to have enough time to recover. Why they didn’t do a bike test of 30 min followed by a 15 min rest, I don’t understand.

At any rate, I’m going to be getting some to use as part of a research for its use with power athletes PWO. I have my own suspicions of how this will not be any different than anything else, but I’m still going to go along with the test.

My best recommendation for Vitargo would be at half-time of most sporting events. I can’t see how this along with any protein added will work as they claim because any added protein will so down it’s uptake into the body and thus negating its benefits.


#14

[quote]Dominator wrote:
My best recommendation for Vitargo would be at half-time of most sporting events. I can’t see how this along with any protein added will work as they claim because any added protein will so down it’s uptake into the body and thus negating its benefits.[/quote]

Doesn’t this really depend on what type of protein is used? If it’s regular when concentrate or whey isolate, I can understand the slow down of absorption.

But if your using a pre-digested protein like Hydrolysed Whey, should it make the absorption a lot quicker?

LR


#15

I use this as PWO, and I must say I like it.

I’ve been messing about with DC training for two months now, and recovery has been much better since switching from a malt/dex carb source…
I put that down to the faster absorption rate, and therefore faster insulin spike getting the EAA’s I take with it where they need to go :slight_smile:


#16

[quote]roweski wrote:
I use this as PWO, and I must say I like it.

I’ve been messing about with DC training for two months now, and recovery has been much better since switching from a malt/dex carb source…
I put that down to the faster absorption rate, and therefore faster insulin spike getting the EAA’s I take with it where they need to go :)[/quote]

What whey do you use with it?

True Whey (which I use, it has a great EAA profile),
Hydrolised Whey (Which I’m thing switching to PWO),

Something else?

LR


#17

Usually it’s about 20g Vitargo and 20g EAA. Half during training, and slam the rest straight after. Then 5 minutes later, it’s 50g Vitargo and three scoops of True Whey.

I figure it’s also pretty handy on a cutting spell, since the insulin spike PWO [in combo with whey] is fast and high, but comparatively short-lived. Keeps your muscle glucose up and provides a nice insulin boost to throw protein the way of your muscles, but with a very short ‘halt’ to the lipolysis…


#18

[quote]roweski wrote:
Usually it’s about 20g Vitargo and 20g EAA. Half during training, and slam the rest straight after. Then 5 minutes later, it’s 50g Vitargo and three scoops of True Whey.

I figure it’s also pretty handy on a cutting spell, since the insulin spike PWO [in combo with whey] is fast and high, but comparatively short-lived. Keeps your muscle glucose up and provides a nice insulin boost to throw protein the way of your muscles, but with a very short ‘halt’ to the lipolysis…[/quote]

I’ve never tried the EAAs before, but I find that even though True Whey has the digestive enzymes and good bacteria it still leaves my a little bloated after a 3 scoop shake, although it might be the Glutamine I have with it.

When I start my carb cycling though, I’m thinking of using Vitargo + Hydrolysed Whey for breakfast on early morning workout days and PWO as well.

LR


#19

Sounds good!
Gotta say, the True Whey leaves me with comparably no bloat compared to the Impact whey. I can stomach most things, but three scoops of the choc mint IW just makes me feel like a hippo, and on the verge of vomiting.

Do you get any bloat from Hydrolysed whey at high doses - i.e. 60g actual protein/three scoops?


#20

[quote]roweski wrote:
Sounds good!
Gotta say, the True Whey leaves me with comparably no bloat compared to the Impact whey. I can stomach most things, but three scoops of the choc mint IW just makes me feel like a hippo, and on the verge of vomiting.

Do you get any bloat from Hydrolysed whey at high doses - i.e. 60g actual protein/three scoops?[/quote]

I haven’t actually tried the Hydrolysed Whey yet, it was something I was thinking of trying soon though. It seems to have a pretty good AA profile as well, plus has the advantage of being pre-digested.

Like I said though, it may not be the True Whey that’s making me bloat, and it’s not really bad, goes away after 45 mins or so. I was thinking that it may be the 20g of Glutamine I have with it. I haven’t tried the Impact Whey Isolate either.

I was only thinking of using the Hydrolysed Whey + Vitargo when really need (pre early morning workouts and PWO), and I’m only going to start using it once I’m done with my fat loss.

LR