Super Skinny to Scary Strong (or S^4 )

[quote]ddot76 wrote:
Oleena wrote:
I’ve decided to vary up my training schedule because I need to add a lot more shoulder exercises. I would say they are my weakest link for deadlift and bench. That and my triceps.

If you’re training the big three often, be careful as to how much direct shoulder work you’re using.

As Mom-in-MD suggested, you might want to look at a Westside program (Westside for Skinny Bastards 1) or Wendler’s 5/3/1 template (see Elitefts.com for more info) to help with your strength.

With you being so lean right now, you’ll see both strength increases as well as improved “muscle-y” appearances changes as well, assuming you’re eating enough.

That begs the question, how’s the diet?

[/quote]

The diet is good. I am eating 3-6 times a day, lots of protein like chicken, salmon, and whey protein shakes. I eat clean (no junkfood, and I can’t eat anything sugary or pastry-like or my face breaks out).

Mostly I’ve been working on eating a lot of whatever it is I’m eating because I have trouble doing that unless it’s a burger or a slice of pizza (I don’t consider those junkfood, unless they come from fastfood sources).

And that link was interesting. What I’m already doing doesn’t seem that far off of it.

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
This is good too!

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles.html[/quote]

I think I may try modifying this.

It looks like on certain days there are about 4 exercises per body part, and on other there are 3 rep max’s on either the top or the bottom.

So yesterday I did my originally written leg workout, and massively bruised my shins in the the process. From what I’ve read that’s normal? After the first time this happened my boyfriend tried to get me to stop doing them (deadlifts), but I pretty much said “fuck that”.

Anyway, the bruising actually turned out to be a good thing because if I hadn’t I would have ended up wearing a dress when I went out last night. And then the following would have ended up much worse:

After my workout I met up with an old friend and his buddies downtown. One of his buddies is probably the biggest “natural” I’ve ever met, and has a major thing for asian girls. There were two of them with him that night, and he decided that we should go to a club where the one he’s actually dating normally goes to. I think it was his attempt at breaking things off with her by having her catch him with another woman. Anyway, what happened instead was a massive girlfight.

We arrive at said club, and his girlfriend immediately walks out with a bleeding scratch on her face. She’s obviously pissed and tells us two girls came up and scratched her out of nowhere. Two seconds later these girls come out of the club, and the girl who was scratched runs over and starts pushing them. The guys I’m with are trying to hold her back and I’m just watching in a half-amused fashion.

Fast forward five minutes and there are five girls (two randomly decided to join the brawl) with arms and hair flying trying to push and scratch each other’s faces.

Now I’d never witnessed a girlfight before. I’ve always play wrestled with boyfriends and close girlfriends, so this was really weird to watch. No one really seemed to know how to actually damage another person. After a second I started giggling and reached for my phone to take a video of the whole thing because I didn’t think anyone was going to get hurt.

However, then one girl grabbed another girl by the hair and started slamming her head against the pavement. I thought “Well that’s not cool.”, put my phone back in my purse, walked over to the two of them, slipped my arm around the girl’s neck who was slamming the other girl’s head against the ground, and pulled her back into a solid head-lock ontop of me on the ground with the rest of her scissor-held between my legs. She goes perfectly limp after a second of struggling and starts telling me to let her go. I tell her she needs to calm down, and notice that her friend is coming up on me from the other side. Her friend starts flailing at me and screaming for me to let go. I shift my position so I can hold her off with one foot and slowly start letting the girl go, hoping she will calm down and stop acting stupid. Instead, she decides to bite down on my thumb. Yeah, you read that right. I got bit by a woman over 21. So I grab her nose with my other hand and start squeezing it shut and pressing it back into her head so she’ll let go with her mouth to breath (I used to have to put restraints on little kids when I was a counselor, incase you’re wondering where the hell that move came from). Around this point an enormous guy (I’m thinking it was the bouncer who had finally realized what his job was) grabs me by the arm and starts pulling me to my feet while hollering “Get off her, I don’t care who the fuck you are.” I just looked at him calmly, thinking “well it’s about time”, redid my hair, picked up my purse, and walked off with my friends. The girl who had been having her head slammed against the ground spent five minutes thanking me and I felt pretty awesome for a second.

I do wonder what would have happened if I hadn’t decided to stop drinking this year, and also hadn’t decided to become a trainer. In that case, I would have been wasted, had no idea how violent I was being (I’ve hurt people before in a blacked out moment and felt horrible the moment I came to), and also probably would have been in a skirt that barely covered my ass.

Needless to say I’m happy with the choices I’ve made to get to the point where I am now. I’m also happy that I deadlifted those girl’s weight 25 times earlier that day before meeting them.

This last week I accomplished everything except for my max-effort day. I was disappointed with myself for not going all five days (bitched out Thursday and then Saturday for various, non-good reasons).

So this next week I will try again.

Tomorrow (I really liked this workout when I tried it for the first time last week. Tell me what you think):

good morning into shoulder press:
55lbsx8repx4

Bent-over row: 85lbsx8repx4

Bench: 85lbsx8repx4

Pull ups
bar dips (superset at 40lbs of assistance) 8x3

weighted back extensions: 225lbsx8x4

Upright bench: 55lbsx8x4

Dumbbell back fly: 15poundsx6x5 (LOVE how these make my back feel)

Military press: 65lbs 8x3

Oh yes, and I’ve added bridge pose to my warm up, with 100 ab exercises after the workout. I tried laying off the ab work for a week to see if the deadlifting and squatting alone did it, and am not impressed with the shrinkage (yeah, my body changes fast). So back to the grunt work.

good workout!
:slight_smile:

Today I did a type of circuit on my biceps and triceps where I went from regular supinated bicep curl, to neutral incline bicep curl, to supinated up, and pronated down curl. 8 reps each with 15pound dumbbells and 30 second rest. Then I went to 12.5 lb dumbbell skull crushers, followed by 15 lb (can recall the name of this exercise, but basically you bring the dumbbells straight down to your chest with your elbows straight out to the side, and then push them straight into the air, so it resembles a dumbbell bnech press but works the triceps more than anything), then back to the skull crushers. I did the who thing three times, then worked on my grip for a couple mintes (timing 30 second of either fast or isolated grips per hand), with probably a total of 4-5 sets.

I then did two tricep cable extension sets (8 reps) at 35lbs, and two barbell curl sets at 8 reps and 40 lbs.

I concluded the workout with 5 sets of various weighted ab exercises.

I haven’t been able to get to a computer lately. Today I just played with cleans and snatches. I’m getting much better at the later.

Has anyone else noted that it’s much easier to do a power clean than a hang clean? Or is that just me?

The workout:
back squat:
95lbsx8x1
115lbsx8x4 (this was much easier than last week and I think I’ll be able to up it after another two workouts or so)

deadlift:
135lbsx6x4

standing calf raise:
100lbsx8x3

Single leg squats:
15pounddumbbellsx10x3 (these kill me!)

leg curl:
70lbsx10x3

leg extension:
90lbsx10x3

seated calf raise:
80lbsx8x2

front lunges:
15 lbdumbbellsx 15x1

walking lunges:

15lb dumbbells x 15x1

I was super pleased when a man came over in the middle of my squat set and was like “You were actually doing those right! Bar placement and everything.” Hell yeah.

I wanted to mentioned a workout that I did halfway through last week, which I would like other people to try and tell me if they get results.

Basically, I maxed out on bench press. Then I doubted the weight, and had someone hand it off to me. I held the 200+lbs fully extended for 10 seconds. Then I waited 7 minutes and tried 5 more pounds than I’d previously been able to do on the bench and got it!

Next I tried to apply the same principle to my max squat and max dead. I didn’t improve the maxes that day, but the next leg workout I did was much easier.

On a side note, I got a lot of interested looks when I was loading up the bench press with over 200 lbs.

You benched 200lbs?! Holy shit!!!

Video or it didn’t happen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:

Video or it didn’t happen ;P[/quote]

No, she held “200+lbs” and then afterwards benched 5 more pounds than she had previously maxed out on, which was half of the 200+lbs.

[quote]Oleena wrote:
I wanted to mentioned a workout that I did halfway through last week, which I would like other people to try and tell me if they get results.

Basically, I maxed out on bench press. Then I doubted the weight, and had someone hand it off to me. I held the 200+lbs fully extended for 10 seconds. Then I waited 7 minutes and tried 5 more pounds than I’d previously been able to do on the bench and got it!

Next I tried to apply the same principle to my max squat and max dead. I didn’t improve the maxes that day, but the next leg workout I did was much easier.

On a side note, I got a lot of interested looks when I was loading up the bench press with over 200 lbs.[/quote]

With where your bench is now, you may get more out of spending your time in the gym doing assistance lifts like close grip bench work. You may not look as cool because you have to use a lot less weight with close grip, but it will be more useful then just holding up a bar full of weight that you are no where near pressing. That kind of stuff is good if you are trying to, psychologically get used to holding heavy weight, maybe to get prepped for a competition, but it won’t actually make you stronger.

Just ask yourself, do I want to LOOK strong or do I want to BE strong.

Just my two cents, take it or leave it.

[quote]Court wrote:
mom-in-MD wrote:

Video or it didn’t happen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No, she held “200+lbs” and then afterwards benched 5 more pounds than she had previously maxed out on, which was half of the 200+lbs.[/quote]

Oh.der!! My bad…
Still, good job though! :slight_smile:

[quote]sbmart2 wrote:
Oleena wrote:

Basically, I maxed out on bench press. Then I doubled the weight, and had someone hand it off to me. I held the 200+lbs fully extended for 10 seconds. Then I waited 7 minutes and tried 5 more pounds than I’d previously been able to do on the bench and got it!

On a side note, I got a lot of interested looks when I was loading up the bench press with over 200 lbs.

With where your bench is now, you may get more out of spending your time in the gym doing assistance lifts like close grip bench work. You may not look as cool because you have to use a lot less weight with close grip, but it will be more useful then just holding up a bar full of weight that you are no where near pressing. That kind of stuff is good if you are trying to, psychologically get used to holding heavy weight, maybe to get prepped for a competition, but it won’t actually make you stronger.

[/quote]

Whoops. I can see how that whole post must have been confusing. Basically, I was just testing out a theory I’d heard that part of the problem with lifting heavier weights is that your proprioceptors will initially think that you can’t do it. So by holding the 2x1RM weight for 10 seconds, I was basically shutting down a few proprioceptors, and tricking my muscles so to speak.

I’m definitely not sold that this is the best way to quickly up your max, and will always have a day set out per week for better chest work than written above.

Today I did the GVT for bench press at 65lbs. So 10 reps, 10 times, with 60 sec rest. I ended up getting all but the very last rep, so I’m going to up the weight next time by 5lbs.

I had started the day with bent-over row at 85lbsx8x4

Afterward I did assisted pull-up/bar dip at 40lbs of assistance (one and then the other with no break, followed by 60 sec rest). My chest was fried! Normally I rock at bar dips and really don’t have to use assistance, but today I could hardly get out half the set. The GVT killed me! Instead I kept taking 5 sec pauses between reps in order to complete the full amount. I completed a total of 8 reps of each exercise for 3 sets.

I then did:

back extensions at 35lbsx8x4
seated barbell shoulder press at 45lbsx8x3
back flies 7.5lbsx10x4 (I am very weak at these and plan on incorporating them more often)

I am in the process of formulating a new workout program for the month of April. So far I know it will incorporate German Volume Training for bench press, back squat, and deadlift on three different days, a killer calf workout for at least 3 of the days, new ab work (rollouts!), and a specific diet plan for bulking.

Oh yes, and I’m going to use those damn rollers! I know I should have to begin with, but I’m just one of those perfectionists who feel that if they don’t understand something 100% then they shouldn’t do it. So I guess I’m going to be youtubing foam roller instructionals for the next 24hrs.

[quote]Oleena wrote:
sbmart2 wrote:
Oleena wrote:

Basically, I maxed out on bench press. Then I doubled the weight, and had someone hand it off to me. I held the 200+lbs fully extended for 10 seconds. Then I waited 7 minutes and tried 5 more pounds than I’d previously been able to do on the bench and got it!

Whoops. I can see how that whole post must have been confusing. Basically, I was just testing out a theory I’d heard that part of the problem with lifting heavier weights is that your proprioceptors will initially think that you can’t do it. So by holding the 2x1RM weight for 10 seconds, I was basically shutting down a few proprioceptors, and tricking my muscles so to speak.

I’m definitely not sold that this is the best way to quickly up your max, and will always have a day set out per week for better chest work than written above.
[/quote]

I definitely understood the premise behind the training method that you used. There are a lot of different tools that you can use in the gym that serve different purposes. Because proprioception is the sensory mechanism that is used to adjust your body to its surrounding and to help make higher cognitive decisions about what to do about it,this tool, as I said previously would be great for someone about to go to compete in a powerlifting competition. What they are doing is priming themselves so they don’t freak out when they go up to do the lift. I recall Ouroboro mentioning that she did this a couple weeks before her last competition.

As for the lower order proprioceptive responses, those are actually quite quick (way less than seconds). You are able to tell very quickly if a weight is heavy or if you are unbalanced. You can’t actually turn your proprioception off, you can either quickly react to it (this is usually the case. If you are standing on a bus and it moves unexpectedly, your reaction is to find something to hold onto) or train yourself to stay calm and over ride your initial reaction with higher cognitive processes.

All of this to say, I would not have really said anything about you doing this, but you suggested it for other people to try and then get back to you. So that led me to state that time in the gym would be better spent doing accessory work than experimenting with this method!!!

AND if someone still has extra time on their hands they should FOAM ROLL or do MOBILITY WORK. That can also help in getting stronger :smiley:

Hope you don’t mind the science lesson invasion on your post. Actually, people (or their parents)have to pay all sorts of money to sit and listen to me say what you just got for free, so consider it a gift!!!

[quote]sbmart2 wrote:
Oleena wrote:
sbmart2 wrote:
Oleena wrote:

I definitely understood the premise behind the training method that you used. There are a lot of different tools that you can use in the gym that serve different purposes. Because proprioception is the sensory mechanism that is used to adjust your body to its surrounding and to help make higher cognitive decisions about what to do about it,this tool, as I said previously would be great for someone about to go to compete in a powerlifting competition. What they are doing is priming themselves so they don’t freak out when they go up to do the lift. I recall Ouroboro mentioning that she did this a couple weeks before her last competition.

As for the lower order proprioceptive responses, those are actually quite quick (way less than seconds). You are able to tell very quickly if a weight is heavy or if you are unbalanced. You can’t actually turn your proprioception off, you can either quickly react to it (this is usually the case. If you are standing on a bus and it moves unexpectedly, your reaction is to find something to hold onto) or train yourself to stay calm and over ride your initial reaction with higher cognitive processes.

All of this to say, I would not have really said anything about you doing this, but you suggested it for other people to try and then get back to you. So that led me to state that time in the gym would be better spent doing accessory work than experimenting with this method!!!

AND if someone still has extra time on their hands they should FOAM ROLL or do MOBILITY WORK. That can also help in getting stronger :smiley:

Hope you don’t mind the science lesson invasion on your post. Actually, people (or their parents)have to pay all sorts of money to sit and listen to me say what you just got for free, so consider it a gift!!![/quote]

I know I appreciated it. You are smart and I’m not just saying that because I have a girl crush on you. As a lifter I know what you have said is true because I’ve experienced it but I had no idea what the science behind it was.

My best experience with this was doing weighted chins. I did a few weighted sets and then did bodyweight ones. Of course my body had adjusted to strain against the weight. I went up so fast I smashed my face in the door jamb and got a sexy scab on my chin.

[quote]sbmart2 wrote:
Oleena wrote:
sbmart2 wrote:
Oleena wrote:

Hope you don’t mind the science lesson invasion on your post. Actually, people (or their parents)have to pay all sorts of money to sit and listen to me say what you just got for free, so consider it a gift!!![/quote]

Thank you. Okay, so I have a question relating to your advice against using this method in the gym on, say, an every other week basis for maybe two to three different exercises. In the one time that I did it, I was able to bench press 5lbs more after 7 minutes than I’d been capable of before holding the 2x1RM over my head for 10 seconds. That seems like a pretty decent improvement for less than 10 minutes. Now I understand that I wasn’t actually stronger; I hadn’t grown more muscle fibers in that span of time. However, since I was lifting 5lbs more than before, wouldn’t that be more effective at making me grow more muscle fibers in the long run than just maxing out at 5lbs less?

PS I don’t consider it a workout, just something to try on the same day when you’re maxing out.

Oleena- if you stick around here for awhile, you will see that you will get a lot of advice, and most of it will be good…
The trick though, is to find what works for YOU!! :slight_smile: