Super Sets

someone told me that supersets will make you bigger, but not necessarily get you stronger is that true?

and my other question is whats a good bicep routine?

Supersets (e.g. decline bench press and cable flyes with no rest in between) are generally used as a bodybuilding strategy, yes. Exercise pairings (e.g. bent-over row, rest 60s, bench press, rest 60s, etc.) are a different story.

At this point, you shouldn’t be worrying about your biceps. Stick to the basics–rows, chins, presses, squats and deadlifts. Save the curls for the end of your workout. Basically, lift heavy, eat a lot, and sleep.

lol this has a chance of getting ugly

[quote]wfifer wrote:
Supersets (e.g. decline bench press and cable flyes with no rest in between) are generally used as a bodybuilding strategy, yes. Exercise pairings (e.g. bent-over row, rest 60s, bench press, rest 60s, etc.) are a different story.

At this point, you shouldn’t be worrying about your biceps. Stick to the basics–rows, chins, presses, squats and deadlifts. Save the curls for the end of your workout. Basically, lift heavy, eat a lot, and sleep. [/quote]

well so far this is my workout, please tell me if i can make any improvements to it

chest and triceps
flat bench 6x4-6
incline barbell bench 4x4-6
cable flys 3x8-10 (20 push ups)
(super set with push ups)
skull crushers 3x8
tricep cable extension 3x6-8
dumbell tricep extension x 3x6-8

shoulders and biceps
barbell shoulder press 4x2-4
dumbbell shoulder press 4x8-10
lat raises 3x8-10
shrugs 3x20
upright rows 3x8-10
dumbbell curls 4x6-8 w/superset(i curl 45s then 20s)
seated incline curls 4x6-8
reverse cable curls 3x6-8

back
deadlifts 4x12,10,8,6
t-bar 4x6
lat pull down 3x12,10,8,6
pull ups(wide grip) 3x12
low rows 3x10,8,6
dumbbell bent over rows 3x12
back extensions 3x20 (30sec rest)

legs
warm up 5mins on bike
leg extensions 4x20(20sec rest)
squats 6x 20, 8, 8, 6-8, 6-8, 20, 20 (60sec rest in between each set)
leg press 3x12 (40sec rest)
stiff leg dead lifts 4x12

[quote]bedruz wrote:
wfifer wrote:

At this point, you shouldn’t be worrying about your biceps. Stick to the basics–rows, chins, presses, squats and deadlifts. Save the curls for the end of your workout. Basically, lift heavy, eat a lot, and sleep.

well so far this is my workout, please tell me if i can make any improvements to it

chest and triceps
flat bench 6x4-6
skull crushers 3x8

shoulders and biceps
lat raises 3x8-10
shrugs 3x20
upright rows 3x8-10

back
deadlifts 4x12,10,8,6
t-bar 4x6
pull ups(wide grip) 3x12
low rows 3x10,8,6

legs
warm up 5mins on bike
stiff leg dead lifts 4x12 [/quote]

Your leg routine seems is spot on, I’ve never agreed with leg pressing, just doesn’t do it for me, do lunges or step ups as an altrnative! As for your back and the rest I think you got too many exercises there…how long do you spend in the gym? I’m gonna guess about an hour and half to two hours

[quote]bedruz wrote:
someone told me that supersets will make you bigger, but not necessarily get you stronger is that true?

and my other question is whats a good bicep routine? [/quote]

Was it a little birdy who told you? There isn’t a simple yes no answer to your question. Supersets can help with both depending on how you use them and what level of training experience you have.

D

[quote]Davenegger wrote:
Your leg routine seems is spot on, I’ve never agreed with leg pressing, just doesn’t do it for me, do lunges or step ups as an altrnative! As for your back and the rest I think you got too many exercises there…how long do you spend in the gym? I’m gonna guess about an hour and half to two hours
[/quote]

haha yea at the most 2 hours
what do u suggest i do for my back then?

[quote]bedruz wrote:

haha yea at the most 2 hours
what do u suggest i do for my back then?

[/quote]

I would choose the exercises that you excel at and have the ability to really load up. Drop the rest while you are trying to put on mass. If you never max load before, don’t go above what you would guesstimate is 80% of your max lift (I say this because max training without a foundation leads to some ugly injuries and crappy form). Reps would probably be no more than 8 and sets no more than 6.

lol jesus christ… waayyy to much volume man

32 sets on shoulders and bicep day? those are two relatively small muscle groups 32 sets is ridiculous

how long have u been doing this routine…im assuming at least a few months…if this is the case i would switch for two reasons
one u are probably stagnating on gains

two: i think ur routine is shit
read Thibs articles “How to design a damn good program 1 and 2” and also his training for newbies articles

also before designing ur own routine i would just grab one of the pre-made routines on here… and use that for awhile… while ur doing so create a routine and re-post for critique

[quote]Davenegger wrote:
bedruz wrote:
wfifer wrote:

[/quote]

don’t tell someone to change one of their exercises because it doesn’t work FOR YOU…

[quote]bedruz wrote:
wfifer wrote:

chest and triceps
flat bench 6x4-6
skull crushers 3x8

shoulders and biceps
lat raises 3x8-10
shrugs 3x20
upright rows 3x8-10

back
deadlifts 4x12,10,8,6
t-bar 4x6
pull ups(wide grip) 3x12
low rows 3x10,8,6

legs
warm up 5mins on bike
stiff leg dead lifts 4x12 [/quote]

judging from the first post…i expected a routine much like this…tons of volume…maybe you could look into toning down the volume and going for lower rep ranges and higher weight…remember, the best thing for muscle growth is change. especially after you’ve done the same thing for a while.

i know it might be to much to ask, but can someone give me their routine?..cause to be honest i dont know what you guys mean by volume and all that. ive looked at some articles and i still dont understand how to make my own routine…laugh at me all you want, but please someone help out with a routine pleeease

bedruz - there are probably hundreds of pre-made routines on this site. If you don’t know about “volume and all that” then you should read the beginners stickys… the threads permenantly at the top of the beginners forum.

From your avatar, you don’t look like a total newb… so I’ll point you to my current favorite routines:

WS4SBIII by DeFranco - upper/lower split focused on athletic performance

Super Hero by Thibs - bodypart specialization split, upper body focus

S.O.B. by Waterbury - full body, higher frequency, fatigue management

READ THE BEGINNERS STICKYS

LA

[quote]LA wrote:
bedruz - there are probably hundreds of pre-made routines on this site. If you don’t know about “volume and all that” then you should read the beginners stickys… the threads permenantly at the top of the beginners forum.

From your avatar, you don’t look like a total newb… so I’ll point you to my current favorite routines:

WS4SBIII by DeFranco - upper/lower split focused on athletic performance

Super Hero by Thibs - bodypart specialization split, upper body focus

S.O.B. by Waterbury - full body, higher frequency, fatigue management

READ THE BEGINNERS STICKYS

LA[/quote]

kk thanks