Super-Accumulation Program Log

Started the Super-Accumulation program outlined by Charles Poliquin today. For those that don’t know… basically you beat your body up for 2 weeks, take 5 days off, and come back bigger and stronger than ever. It’s definitely mentally/ physically demanding, and the program calls for extreme dedication and desire if it is to be carried out correctly.

Right now I’m in a rare position where I can devote adequate time to train this way. A lot of people have argued against this program, citing that its only for athletes or those getting paid. Considering I currently have the time and resources, I ask myself why not? Overall I’m healthy- I have a few blemishes but who doesn’t? I’d consider myself an “intermediate” lifter- my big 3 lifts equal around 1000 pounds- my lower body strength is lacking compared to my upperbody (bench press is about 300).

The only drawback I have is that I don’t have a training partner. I don’t have a coach or personal trainer. It’s me and only me and come the middle of week 2, I know I’m gonna really be dragging ass. Oh well- 2 weeks. Whats two weeks? I see this as a challenge first of all. Second of all, as an experiment. I want to see how effective this type of training is- first hand.

With that being said, I’m gonna try to log every workout, what I eat that day, and how I feel in general.

I finished the first workout today at 12pm. All of my morning workouts for M-W-F will occur at this time, considering I don’t wake up until 8:30, and I have a weight training class M-W at 12 which lends to this program nicely.

Weighed myself on a “historically light” digital scale/ health station at my university gym. Weighed in at 199. Gonna compare this tonight with a different mechanical scale, but I’ll try to keep consistent weight logs.

Workout:
A) Back squat 5x6, 40X0 tempo, 100 second rest. 245lbs x6,x6,x6,x6, x5

B) Seated leg curl 5x6, 40X0 tempo, 100 second rest. #12 x6,x6,x6,x6,x6- last reps got sloppy

C1) Chinups (tried not to “shrug” up to the bar- scapulae depressed) 5x6, 4010, 100 second rest. 35lbs x6,x6-somewhat failed, 30x5,x5- failed

C2) Dips 5x6, 4010, 100 second rest. 45lb x6,x6,x6,x6, 50lb x5- failed on 6th rep.

Thoughts on morning workout:

1. I’ve never lifted with a specific tempo, so it was different. I found myself pausing at the top of lifts, especially squatting to get myself together. This will be hard but essential to squash.

2. I accidently didn’t superset A and B like I should have. I’ll correct this on Wednesday.

3. I havn’t trained squats to failure in along time. This alone beat the hell out of me.

Night workout and my food log will be posted later tonight!

Night workout:
A) Snatch grip deadlift 10x6, 5010, rest 3 mins
185x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x5-grip failed,x5-grip failed on 6th

B1) Seated DB press, palms facing each other, 5x6-8, 4010, rest 100 sec
60x6,x6-failed 6th, 55x6,x6,x5- failed on 6th.

B2) Single arm DB row, 5x6-8, 2011, rest 100 sec
70x7,x7,x7,x7,x6- failed on 7th, x6- failed on 7th.

Thoughts on night workout:

1. Snatch grip deadlifts suck bad. I could definitely do more weight if my grip hadn’t gave out. I was squeezing so hard that my ring and pinky finger tips feel numb still. I’m thinking about using wrist wraps next time.

2. The tempos are really challenging. I have to do alot less weight on some of these lifts than I would typically do lifting faster.

3. My cervical vertebre is a bit sore along with my lunbar. I hope I’m not re-aggravating an old injury in my neck. These types of lifts are hard to do with no spinal flexion in some cases. I don’t know many people who can snatch grip DL on a platform and not exihibit some lunbar flexion- especially after being fatigued.

4. I don’t think I ate enough today.