Sumo vs. Conventional Deadlift

My football coach insists that we do all deadlifts sumo style, and tells me never to do conventional.

Are there any benefits of doing only sumo, or are there any cons?

Some say that sumo deadlifts can beat up your hips more than conventional deadlifts. I know people though that have only ever done sumos and have never had any issues.

I prefer sumo. I find them more comfortable, but I’ll still alternate between the two.

I don’t agree with your coach that you should never do conventional. I think you should do both and eventually you find which one works better for you.

Sumo should work the inside of your legs more than than conventional. I feel the sumo dead in my hips, so I personally dont do them. Not really a fan of any deadlift.

The single leg dead with a dumbell however, is an excellent exercise for the hamstrings. Love it.

Sounds like the coach is a bit too dogmatic to me.

I’d LOVE to hear an explaination for his beliefs.

I’ve actually read to train conventional like 80% of the time even if you compete sumo.

[quote]derek wrote:
Sounds like the coach is a bit too dogmatic to me.

I’d LOVE to hear an explaination for his beliefs.

I’ve actually read to train conventional like 80% of the time even if you compete sumo.[/quote]

The main belief is 4 years of the same exact program will get us gradually stronger. :-/

I am not any kind of expert, but I think conventional style helps to strengthen the lower back and spinal erections more.
He probably thinks you kids will hurt yourselves doing conventional.
I say do both.

[quote]Scrotus wrote:
[/quote]

That may be but I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have them cleaning of one kind or another. If he does, his (possible) argument for “safety” would get shot to hell!

I guess almost everything is safe or dangerous depending on how it’s coached.

[quote]derek wrote:
Scrotus wrote:

That may be but I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have them cleaning of one kind or another. If he does, his (possible) argument for “safety” would get shot to hell!

I guess almost everything is safe or dangerous depending on how it’s coached.

[/quote]

Hang Clean.

Anyway thanks for the help guys. I’ll just do conventional until he yells at me and then switch to sumo.

The crappy thing is, is that he’s in charge and it’s tough for you to either get him to see things your way or to call him out on this stuff without pissing him off or you sounding like a know-it-all ya know?

Good luck with it!

[quote]derek wrote:
The crappy thing is, is that he’s in charge and it’s tough for you to either get him to see things your way or to call him out on this stuff without pissing him off or you sounding like a know-it-all ya know?

Good luck with it![/quote]

Exactly. Well, that’s life I suppose.

Thanks man.