T Nation

Sumo Leg Press

Anyone do these? I recently added them into my leg day to hit the hams, but they seem to activate the adductors more for me.
Anyone else have any experience with this lift?

I wanted to throw these in my current DC Blast, but for some reason I feel a very disturbing twinge in my knees when I do these. Just not good for me, I suppose.

I always felt that my adductors always activate more with a wider stance. Never tried them with the leg press though (never used a leg press). From what I’ve heard you need to put your feet up with as well as wide in order to get the hamstring activation.

[quote]GD1 wrote:
Anyone do these? I recently added them into my leg day to hit the hams, but they seem to activate the adductors more for me.
Anyone else have any experience with this lift?
[/quote]

I have some, and it wasn’t good. I don’t do these because 1) Now I dont have access to a leg press machine that has a big enough foot plate, allowing me to put my feet where they need to be, and
2) I don’t think I was ever able to hit the hams well enough to justify this exercise. My other leg muscles seemed to get hit just as much.

I stick to leg curls, GHR, and RDLs.

I have used them as well as sumo squats in a smith machine. As noted by another poster you will need to place your feet further forward of your torso to get good activation of the hamstrings. This is true for the smith machine sumo squat as well.

Also you will want to splay your feet further out on either of these. I have found that if I do not point my toes out far enough I get strain in my knees. What I noticed was that my knees tend to pull in together if my toes are not spread far enough out and this seemed to be the source of the strain or discomfort.

Hmmm…seems that it is a tough one to get down.

I have my legs out as far as the foot plate will allow (which is also about as far as I feel safe going), with the toes pointed out too.

I guess I will just try them a few more times and see if I can get them down, if not then more leg curls I guess.

While the actual placement is a personal thing (place them all over the place and see whats activated)…you don;t have to go sumo wide to hit the hams.
You place your feet high up on the sled, use a shoulder width (thereabouts) stance, angle your toes outwards (with knees following) and push with the heels…obviously a starting point, and you need to perturb this somewhat to get whats ideal for your geometry.