Sumo Instead of Conventional

I’ve been working on my conventional technique and it’s not really coming along. I keep extending my knee’s before I should…I’m lifting my hips/butt before any weight moves etc. I don’t really want to injure myself or just keep doing this until it’s such a bad habit where it’ll be even harder to fix.

So I was wondering…is it alright to do sumo deadlifts from an athletic standpoint and for lower-back etc. stick hard with stiff legs, romanians, GM’s etc?

I will be working with 135 conventional deadlift to practice form until it gets right, but until then will sumo deads, and after that for assistance (stiff legs, gm’s, frontSQ etc.) this will give me a strong base, and will probably allow me to pull quite a bit when I get the conventional form down pat.
What do you all think?
I’m assuming the sumo deadlifts can only help also…with the hips for kicking, hips for squatting etc.

Sumo is more legs, less lower back. There’s nothing wrong with it. Not sure what your routine looks like, but on an upper/lower split you could do squats and speed deadlifts one day and sumo deadlifts the other day.

your never going to learn good form with 135lbs. the second you go back to whatever weights you are using now, they will be heavy and your form is going to go to shit.

post a vid of your deadlift. Sounds like you are likely trying to ‘squat’ the weight up, something very few people can effectively do. Your hips should start pretty high in a conventional deadlift. I wouldn’t worry to much about injury unless you are rounding your low back.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
Sumo is more legs, less lower back. There’s nothing wrong with it. Not sure what your routine looks like, but on an upper/lower split you could do squats and speed deadlifts one day and sumo deadlifts the other day. [/quote]

This is a pretty sexy idea. I may steal it in January.

i agree with using a heavier weight. it makes sense that the heavier the weight is the more youre going to play around with form till you find what works.