Sumo Deadlifts for Short Guys

Hey guys, im 5’6 195 and im just wondering what you guys think of a short guy trying out some sumo deadlifts. I know taller guys tend to be better pullers, im just looking for a little variety. Do you think i should stick to a regular deadlift, or can i still get a lot out of the sumo?

[quote]bigshock80 wrote:
Hey guys, im 5’6 195 and im just wondering what you guys think of a short guy trying out some sumo deadlifts. I know taller guys tend to be better pullers, im just looking for a little variety. Do you think i should stick to a regular deadlift, or can i still get a lot out of the sumo?[/quote]

Woah Woah Woah! I think being 5’6 you have an advantage over a taller lifter, man.

Do deads or be dead biotch!

You can definately get a lot out of sumo - you’ll find as you get bigger, it’ll be a lot easier to start with hips and spine in a good position with this style of pull.

It’s also more hip dominant than back, so it’s a good switch to give your back a bit of rest.

You could also ask the guy in your avatar, very knowledgable and willing to help
-dan

stick with the one you’re most confortable with, it all comes down to leverages.

I’m 6’ about 210 pounds, and find sumo way more comfortable. I could never pull conventinal worth a shit, but when I switched to sumo my poundages went way, way up. I have very long legs for my height, so I think it’s a leverage thing. Try both, do what works.

I would say sumos are the way to go for a short guy. Im 5’6 on a good day(offically listed at 65.25inches or 5’5 1/4 by the army) and started trying to deadlift again as I am having pain when I squat still(have trigger points in the VMO, Vastus Laterus). Anyhow, I was getting knee pain in when doing them conventional style and my back kept wanting to round, so I switched to more of a sumo style and my poundages soared. I pulled a 305 double yesterday after a 275, 295 doubles before hand. What makes this so awesome for me is that Ive been on the shelf with various injuries for almost 2 years now(only been back seriously since about mid Jan and Im on the 1 lift a day program) and I never hit over 250 on the deadlift before, and that was with a trapbar.
I think it is more comfortable and better overall choice for us shorter guys in my personal experience.

Buffalo, i definately noticed that the sumo is more hip dominant, i did them yesterday for the first time and i really feel it in my hips today. I am a huge fan of the deadlift in general, and i appreciate the responses.

Shock