T Nation

Sumo Deadlift

I’m also in the process of switching over from conventional to sumo. I finally allowed myself to believe that I am more naturally built to sumo. I’m 6’5" with a long torso, and the sumo pull is more natural to me. It always was more nautural on light weights but when I got heavy I could conventional 100 lbs more. I’m still struggling with it, but the gap is closing pretty quick. Reading some of the articles on elitefts has helped me tremendously. Bartley has a great one that anyone looking to change to sumo should read.

I think it direclty correlates to body structure. Some people do sumo and their body is perfectly upright, just easier and stronger. Some people do conventioanl and the technique is just not there. Most likely I think cause of short arms. I dunno, whatever works for you…Ed Coan pulled tons with his modified sumo!

The first time that I tried sumo, I pulled more than I could conventionally; from there it was no turning back. My form is also a lot better with sumo, as when I pull conventional my legs either straighten too early or I round, etc.

I have long legs, long arms and a short torso btw.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
I read somewhere (probably on this site)that there is a good rule of thumb on whether you are better suited to sumo: If you stand straight, and the crook of your elbow is above your belly button, your proportions are better for sumo. DOes anyone buy this, or is it BS?[/quote]

Interesting, I don’t believe in hard and fast rules, but it certainly applies to me. I have long legs and shorter arms.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Skuebb wrote:
I read somewhere (probably on this site)that there is a good rule of thumb on whether you are better suited to sumo: If you stand straight, and the crook of your elbow is above your belly button, your proportions are better for sumo. DOes anyone buy this, or is it BS?

Interesting, I don’t believe in hard and fast rules, but it certainly applies to me. I have long legs and shorter arms.[/quote]

I think if anything, short arms AND legs will help somone pull more sumo than convo.

Short legs = strong legs (usually)

Strong legs = good sumo

therefore…

short legs = good sumo

(plus having a shorted ROM is good for those with shorter arms)

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
Skuebb wrote:
I read somewhere (probably on this site)that there is a good rule of thumb on whether you are better suited to sumo: If you stand straight, and the crook of your elbow is above your belly button, your proportions are better for sumo. DOes anyone buy this, or is it BS?

Interesting, I don’t believe in hard and fast rules, but it certainly applies to me. I have long legs and shorter arms.

I think if anything, short arms AND legs will help somone pull more sumo than convo.

Short legs = strong legs (usually)

Strong legs = good sumo

therefore…

short legs = good sumo

(plus having a shorted ROM is good for those with shorter arms)[/quote]

Well, maybe. Strong legs are a good thing in any case. But very long legs are what led me to prefer sumo. In convo, I really can’t maneuver the bar around my knees very well. Sumo gets my knees out of the way much better. There is also the issue of back injuries in my case. Sumo seems to be easier on my low back.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
Skuebb wrote:
I read somewhere (probably on this site)that there is a good rule of thumb on whether you are better suited to sumo: If you stand straight, and the crook of your elbow is above your belly button, your proportions are better for sumo. DOes anyone buy this, or is it BS?

Interesting, I don’t believe in hard and fast rules, but it certainly applies to me. I have long legs and shorter arms.

I think if anything, short arms AND legs will help somone pull more sumo than convo.

Short legs = strong legs (usually)

Strong legs = good sumo

therefore…

short legs = good sumo

(plus having a shorted ROM is good for those with shorter arms)

Well, maybe. Strong legs are a good thing in any case. But very long legs are what led me to prefer sumo. In convo, I really can’t maneuver the bar around my knees very well. Sumo gets my knees out of the way much better. There is also the issue of back injuries in my case. Sumo seems to be easier on my low back.

[/quote]

That’s exactly my situation as well. I can’t get down in a good conventinal stance, and always end up hooking it on my knees when I try it anyways. Sumo I can pull with near perfect flat back form. Coming off the floor blows nuts, which is just the nature of the beast. I can lockout anything I can get 3 inches off the floor. My ideal would be somewhere in between, but having arms kind of prevents that. Gripping outside the legs puts me too narrow, and inside the legs puts me a bit wider than optimal. Oh well, enough bitching more lifting.