Sumo Deadlift Limit?

Quick question on why it seems that almost noone who Dl’s over 900 uses the Sumo style? Is there a mechanical limit in the technique?

That’s 410kg/ 900 - haven’t seen much higher than that.

not sure about a mechanical limit, but I do know theat maxim podtynny’s 909 was the heaviest sumo ever.

thats tough bro, my max at sumo is 395, just 10 lb shy of my conventional record at 405…

not sure which one to employ to keep making gains…so im thinking about a mixed approach:)

Bigger quads make sumo’s more inefficient, and most of the guys pulling 900+ are very big units. Also factor in that sumo is easier to stuff up, and that you can counterbalance more with conventional (which is of more effect if you’re heavier).

because sumo is for sissies

It’s because Hungry4More is still a marine.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
because sumo is for sissies[/quote]
I knew someone would say that. But the rest makes sense. Thanks for the responses.

I could be wrong but don’t a lot of people use sumo to make up for poor leverages for DL…maybe that has something to do with it.

Bigger quads make sumo’s more inefficient, and most of the guys pulling 900+ are very big units. Also factor in that sumo is easier to stuff up, and that you can counterbalance more with conventional (which is of more effect if you’re heavier).

so i dont get it…who would be btter suited for the sumo deadlift…someone w/ longer limbs, or a stocky frame??

im 6 ft 165 lbs…my goal is 3X body weight at 495…i dont care conventional or sumo…i want to do both

[quote]fighterkhan wrote:

so i dont get it…who would be btter suited for the sumo deadlift…someone w/ longer limbs, or a stocky frame??

im 6 ft 165 lbs…my goal is 3X body weight at 495…i dont care conventional or sumo…i want to do both [/quote]
Generally, if you’re light and don’t have long legs and arms proportionally, then sumo is more efficient. It’s still a toss-up which is better raw, but I’d say equipped sumo has the greatest potential to lift more in those circumstances.

The key is to train them both and then use which ever is strongest in the meet. Body types and limb lengths and all that other shit do make give people different leverages and advantages and that will affect the lift. But none of that shit matters. Say your body type is ideal for sumo but you pull 50lbs more conventional… you should probably be pulling conventional in a meet.

It is very hard to even label what the ideal stance would even be based on these variables. I am 6’2’’ with very long legs and very long arms. When I pull sumo the bar only moves about 10inches off the floor. I can pull around 750 like that. Conventional I have done 810 but the distance the bar travels is at least double.

Train them both, develop them both, use the best one in the meet.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
The key is to train them both and then use which ever is strongest in the meet. Body types and limb lengths and all that other shit do make give people different leverages and advantages and that will affect the lift. But none of that shit matters. Say your body type is ideal for sumo but you pull 50lbs more conventional… you should probably be pulling conventional in a meet.

It is very hard to even label what the ideal stance would even be based on these variables. I am 6’2’’ with very long legs and very long arms. When I pull sumo the bar only moves about 10inches off the floor. I can pull around 750 like that. Conventional I have done 810 but the distance the bar travels is at least double.

Train them both, develop them both, use the best one in the meet.[/quote]

QFT.

I know many people who swapped between sumo and conventional (and vice versa) because it gave them better results on meet day. Being proficient in one style is not going to make you worse at another, so there’s no reason not to get good at both.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

Train them both, develop them both, use the best one in the meet.[/quote]

nice lifts.
my body type is better suited for sumo, however I find it harder to improve my sumo pull as opposed to conventional even when spending equal amount of time working on both.

[quote]Gaius Octavius wrote:
It’s because Hungry4More is still a marine.[/quote]

Haha thanks man, working at it. Damn I can’t wait to get back at my sumo pulling.

The sky’s the limit.

1000+ lbs DL didn’t exist until, what, the 1990’s?