Sumo Deadlift Form Check

Hello, I recently switched from conventional to sumo deadlift. I am stronger on sumo but I am not confident about the technical aspects of the lift yet. I would appreciate any tips or constructive criticism. The video is 465x5 which followed two sets of 440x5.
https://youtu.be/5oOcYxgyISU

Looks pretty good. The only thing I can think of is that doing 440x5x2 before your heaviest work set is not the best plan, I would do something around 425 for a double, or maybe 440 or so and go for 470-480. Save your energy for the heaviest sets, do lighter volume work after.

They were joker sets. I was only supposed to do one set of 440x5 but i forgot to switch the weight to 465 before i went again. I was so pumped at how easy what I thought was 465 was and then when I finished that set I realized I hadn’t changed the weight. Am I squatting the weight too much. I saw some people say your hips shouldn’t rise before the bar but i feel that extra dip helps me get the bar started moving easier.

There are plenty of lifters who do that, more often on conventional though. I don’t think it’s an issue, as you are in the same position each time the bar leaves the floor and your hips don’t rise faster than your shoulders from that point on you should be fine.

@Vincepac1500
@jbackos

Doesn’t look too bad. It does look like you setup a bit away from the bar and push your shins forward to pull. Can’t tell offer that’s the camera angle or not

I think it might be cause I’m so used to bar over mid foot from conventional. How much closer do you think I should be. I’ll try to get a front angle next dl workout. Watching frame by frame on my phone I def see some horizontal bar movement on the first rep but the rest aren’t as bad. The setup for a single is what matters though so I def need to get that right

I touch the bar to the flat part of your shin what ever is called.

Some folks like you start with the hips a bit low and hips rise to your strongest starting position then the bar leaves the floor.

I’ve watched my coach and others try to correct this by having you set up higher. For example, set up with hips low, then rise to ideal hip position then start to pull. But you seem to pull form a low hip position, but as Chris states the bar doesn’t break the floor until your hips rise to the more natural starting position before breaking the floor.

All that said I don’t know what the drawback is with your technique even though some say it’s not ideal.