Sumo Deadlift and Squat Form Check

After watching the video myself I can tell my hips need to start/stay lower. I should also note that I never feel sore in the lower back and only realized I rounded this much after watching the video. It is something I’ve always prioritized but didn’t realize was happening to this extent.

I’d love some advice on general form changes and mental cues. Breaking the weight off the floor is also my weak point on sumo so tips there would be great as well.

Also, here is a video from today of a 275x5 low bar squat, if anybody has suggestions.

Considering your leverages it doesn’t look that bad. You’re right about the rounding, but now that you’re aware of it, I assume you know what to do in order to work it out.

Have you ever thought about widening your stance a bit? I can’t really tell from this angle, but it looks as though you’re in a fairly narrow stance. That can work for some, but might be holding you back.

Squats look ok to me

Your deadlift could use a little work tho.

First off get rid of the trainers, they’re horrible for lifting. You can pick up a pair of wresting shoes for pretty cheap and they are great for a cheap, flat shoe.

Secondly if you’re actually interested in powerlifting(why I’m assuming you’re here) then invest in a belt. Go get one thats leather, uniform 4" around, and 13mm. It’ll help keep your back straight and you’ll be using it in competition so why not use it in training. Some say they prefer a thinner belt for deadlifting but I’ve never heard of it being an issue while pulling sumo.

I’d agree that your stance looks narrow in that vid, is that the case? And if so why?

And I’ll throw in something that I’ve recently started doing that has helped my hips get lower off the start and get me more drive off the ground. I start out gripping the bar in a sort of stiff leg sumo position and as I start to pull I quickly rock back and down onto my heels and into my start position. Then its all about spreading the floor and driving it up. On lighter sets (225 and lower) I know I’m doing it right because the bar will actually start to come off the ground. I hope that makes sense.

[quote]Nick2413 wrote:
After watching the video myself I can tell my hips need to start/stay lower. I should also note that I never feel sore in the lower back and only realized I rounded this much after watching the video. It is something I’ve always prioritized but didn’t realize was happening to this extent.

I’d love some advice on general form changes and mental cues. Breaking the weight off the floor is also my weak point on sumo so tips there would be great as well.

Also, here is a video from today of a 275x5 low bar squat, if anybody has suggestions.

Deadlift form needs some work. Your shins should be perpendicular to the floor when pulling, yours are angled forward. This means you need to sit back a bit more and engage your hams. Couldn’t really see but might want to open feet a bit more and ‘screw’(rotate out) your heels in before you pull, this will tighten/engage glutes/hams and you should feel the pull a bit more. Squat looks pretty good, maybe experiment with slightly wider stance. There was a video from juggernaut where he has the kid stand like he is going to jump, then rotate heels out then toes out, thats your stance.