T Nation

Sumo Deadlift Analysis

Hey all, check out my sumo and please give some technique feedback. Let me know if my concerns are legit or if I'm overthinking it:

My concerns:
-Hips go up first
-Back too rounded? Or is this fine?
-Knees contribute more to lockout than hips
-Hinge pattern isn't strong enough at lockout

[quote]Haldor wrote:
Hey all, check out my sumo and please give some technique feedback. Let me know if my concerns are legit or if I’m overthinking it:

My concerns:
-Hips go up first
-Back too rounded? Or is this fine?
-Knees contribute more to lockout than hips
-Hinge pattern isn’t strong enough at lockout

[/quote]

-I think your hips going up first is a sign of them just going to the optimal pulling position for you rather than any particular weakness or form breakdown. The goal is to have your hips as high as possible while still getting your hips horizontally into the bar. So my take is that you set them just a little too low and they went to the optimal position.

-I didn’t really see any rounding I think alot of that will just be in your head, what you are probably seeing is your lats and erectors as opposed to actual spinal flexion.

-For a good sumo your knees should lock out and then a slight bump from the hips locking out to complete the lift (credit to Arramzy for that advice as its something I had not been aware of myself)

-I would just suggest very aggressively pushing your hips through to finish the lift, something I learned painfully when I tore my hamstring last December on a lighter set by having some laxity in my hips.

I think you have a pretty good hang on this technique though all things considered. also how tall are you, Im 6’1" and also pull sumo so we might have similar leverages.

Looks fine to me. Only thing I’d say in addition to cparker is try maybe to keep your shoulders further behind the bar as your hips come up. That just seems to help maximise your leverages. I think Belyaev is a great example of this, although his proportions are different to yours.

Your pull looks great. It looks like you’ve improved a lot since the form check from awhile back. In addition to the above comments, try to keep your right arm straight at lockout instead of pulling the bar up with your arm.

Good points above. To add, the biggest issue is your shoulder and arm position. Please flex the triceps. Arms are hooks for the deadlift. Additionally, engage the lats to lock shoulders into tight downwards position. Meanwhile, the knees can be driven out harder to enable a better packing behind the barbell. When you look at someone from the side on the deadlift, you want them to not spread too far behind the barbell, but at the same time not drift over/past the barbell. This is where ‘compressing’ the body with tight lats and opened hips is going to serve you well. Additionally, as mentioned - these changes will enable a much better leg drive before the shift to hip drive as the knees lock.

Thanks for the input all. I’ll actually be switching back to conventional (again) after my meet this week. Will probably keep sumos in to work my hips.

[quote]arramzy wrote:
Good points above. To add, the biggest issue is your shoulder and arm position. Please flex the triceps. Arms are hooks for the deadlift. Additionally, engage the lats to lock shoulders into tight downwards position. Meanwhile, the knees can be driven out harder to enable a better packing behind the barbell. When you look at someone from the side on the deadlift, you want them to not spread too far behind the barbell, but at the same time not drift over/past the barbell. This is where ‘compressing’ the body with tight lats and opened hips is going to serve you well. Additionally, as mentioned - these changes will enable a much better leg drive before the shift to hip drive as the knees lock.[/quote]

Excellent cues, especially the triceps, I think my arms are pretty loose during my sumo.