Sumo Block Pulls?

Hey guys,

I have spots for assistance movements for sumo deadlift in my current program. I’m already doing pause DLs but today coachbrah suggested doing some sumo block pulls also. So I’m looking to draw on all the knowledge and experience here on T nation to make a decide.

I haven’t done them in the past so can’t go off experience much. Today I did a few reps off a 15kg plate so like 3 inch block. From that limited experience it’s something I feel I could overload a lot on it like an ego rack pull and rep out my max off the floor.

What are sumo block pulls good for and how effective are they? What kind of experiences have you guys had with them in the past.

Is it a try it out for a bit and see what happens kind of deal?

@khangles @Pinkylifting @Vincepac1500 @chris_ottawa @MarkKO @osu122975 @BOTSLAYER @FlatsFarmer @gaelic

I used to do sumo rack pulls with an extra stiff bar, essentially the same thing, not sure how much they actually helped but my deadlift did go up during that time. They are worth a shot at the very least. The main advantage with block pulls over rack pulls is if you are using a deadlift bar or putting a ton of weight on a somewhat flexible power bar because the bar will be bent just by sitting in the rack.

According to Dan Green and some other people, block pulls will help build strength off the floor by forcing you to use your hips and taking out some of the leg drive, you can’t stiff leg a heavy block pull. He also doesn’t like deficit sumo pulls because he says that they build unspecific mobility. Personally, I find that I get more out of deficit sumo pulls and my sumo stance isn’t pushing the limits of my flexibility anyway.

1 Like

I do them occasionally as a variation but also find deficit more useful

2 Likes

I pull conventional so grain of salt but the only reason I have used block pulls was to take some pressure off my lower back but Block Pulls for me was all lower back.

I did do exclusively deficit pulls for a month or 2 thinking it would make me a lot stronger on normal deads but I dont think it was any better than normal deads would have been. (This was like 5 years ago.)

My philosophy is to put most of my energy into the comp lifts as that has the most carry over. Then hit Prehab work and recover.

2 Likes

Obviously these dudes are Real Power Lifters who go to meets and actually have Real experience. I’m just a guy in the gym.

But I like the block pulls. I feel like lifting from blocks or the rack lets me get some heavy work in and really work my bracing/tightness and without blowing my hips apart. My (super shitty) sumo deadlift from the floor improved (to still pretty sucky) only lifting from the rack, and never lifting from the floor. So I’m a believer.

In your position I would try to go heavier, like Above your max. Break some bigger weights off the blocks and see if that carries over or “down” to the floor.

1 Like

It probably won’t hurt to try. I used conventional block pulls for a bit and they seemed to work.

1 Like

Are you sure those are 3" thick? They don’t look it.

Anyway, they are a good way to overload which is usually helpful for a block.

You may want to consider snatch grip sumo off blocks. It will put you in a similar start position to the floor but will put a lot of focus on your upper back. Good if you have trouble maintaining posture.

1 Like
2 Likes

The straps have some slack to them because they’re too big so add that to the plates and I think it’s three inches altogether.

How wide does a snatch grip need to be to get benefit? My shins on sumo are where I usually go for snatch grip conventional on the block pulls.

Wide enough for your start position to look like it does when pulling off the floor.

That sounds tough.

Wide stance box squats and goodmornings would be accessory work for deadlifts. I would also think barbell rows to the belly button…

Plate to plate stance. Collar to collar grip

A couple of the guys I train with do them after regular deadlift. For example they might have a top set of 635x3 and then will do 675 and 700 for reps from blocks.

Personally I see it as a means of getting heavier weight in your hands much like a board press so as to have an overload effect. Some will say it helps lockout if you struggle with lock out.

I would probably use them mostly for reps to build the muscles for the deadlift. Pulling constantly from the floor can get taxing. If you have short legs and arms like me, floor pulls for reps get extremely taxing on the low back.

2 Likes

So am I missing out on benefits if I use straps?

If you use hook grip then I would recommend straps on stuff like block pulls. I only pull from the floor with hook grip, straps for everything else and also if I’m pulling from the floor for high reps (which I have been doing lately). Unless you are barely doing any pulling from the floor, block pulls and such with hook grip are just going to beat up your thumbs. If your thumbs still hurt by the next deadlift session then you are hook gripping too much.

You can use them if the weight gets too heavy for your grip when doing reps. Id rather work my grip but don’t let your grip limit the ability to build muscle when pulling.

1 Like