T Nation

Sumo Assistance Work

So for about the past month, I have been box squatting with bands, and yesterday I decided to do sumo pulls for ME. My previous best was 275, and to my suprise, I pulled 335! My best conventional is 355, but since my squat has been going up with the band work, I may just focus on pulling sumo to reap maximum benefits from box squatting.

once I go down for school, I will have access to a GHR and Rev. Hyper. I was planning to do those along with abs and shrugs as assistance. Any other assistance moves the sumo pullers out there use?

Deadlifts or stiff-leg deadlifts standing on a 100# plate will help since sumo is all about the start. Otherwise everything you’ve listed looks good!

You could do ultra-wide pulls if your feet aren’t already at the plates.

ok, sweet. and another thing about the grip. do you guys pull with the mixed grip or double overhand when you pull sumo? I pull conventional with the mixed grip, but I pull sumo double overhand (that grip almost feels stronger than mixed).

I use fat bars for all of my DB work (including rows) and I do 1-arm barbell side bends, so do you think implementing any grip training other than that will be necessary?

EDIT: and for the record, I sumo with my feet about an inch outside of the rings (about my squat stance as well)

I pull sumo mixed grip at shoulder width… going full sumo feels awkward

http://www.simonjproductions.net/rts/articles/sumodl.html

I use mixed grip. All the accessory work looks good, except for shrugs. The only thing I’d add is occasionally doing sumos from a deficit. Can’t do it too often or too heavy or your hips will die, but they help a lot with the start. Maybe add in rack pulls instead of shrugs, but I wouldn’t worry too much about it if you keep progressing.
Just work hard and keep the accessory work simple and relevant.

thanks for all of the advice so far. GNP, that article is awesome.

@smoko, the shrugs are in there for 3 reasons. 1 - I have no traps to speak of and I feel that it is a weakness in my lifting, 2 - rack pulls mainly work my lats, and 3 - I have quite a bit of lat work in the rest of my program.

the hell are you squatting with bands when you pull in the lower half of the 300s.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
the hell are you squatting with bands when you pull in the lower half of the 300s.[/quote]

Is there a weight requirement one must reach before using bands?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
the hell are you squatting with bands when you pull in the lower half of the 300s.[/quote]

for getting faster. I have an astounding 15" vertical jump, so explosiveness is high on my priority list. And they’re helping.

[quote]thephantom wrote:
thanks for all of the advice so far. GNP, that article is awesome.

@smoko, the shrugs are in there for 3 reasons. 1 - I have no traps to speak of and I feel that it is a weakness in my lifting, 2 - rack pulls mainly work my lats, and 3 - I have quite a bit of lat work in the rest of my program. [/quote]

I see your reasoning. It’s just a personal belief of mine that shrugging is inferior for trap development vs. really heavy lifting (farmers walks, high rack pulls), as well as having the benefit of of extra work for the back and core.

Not trying to be a dick or tell you what to do, and I’m glad that you have a solid reason for doing what you do. I just think it bears considering the benefit of lifting heavier weight vis a vis trap development, and to decide whether the extra lat work is better than harder lat work. Again, not trying to be a dick. It’s your training, your body, and so long as the decision is your own and informed I’m not gonna say shit.

smoko, thanks for the good advice. building a thick, massive back is one of my goals, and should help me get a higher total (and I’m all for using more weight on an exercise).

Is there a certain hand placement that you would use on the rack pulls to hit the upper back more? Right now I do my conventional pulls and rack pulls with my pinkies on the rings. Move my hands in closer perhaps? Mid-shin or just below the knee?

thanks for all the help.

If your pinkies are on the ring I think it’s fair to say you can move them in a lot closer. Basically as close in as your stance and comfort will allow.
As for hitting the upper back more; just do rack pulls conventional, above the kneecap, heavy and for 5 reps or more. You’re doing it to handle heavy weight, so you don’t need to go mid-shin or anything.

Alternate your grip or use straps, since you aren’t competing you shouldn’t worry about your grip as much as handling weight. The general idea is that you handle more weight than you’d shrug, it’s high enough in the rack that the weight won’t kill you while you lift it, and you do enough reps to make up for the crappy ROM.