Summer Reading Ideas

I’m trying to dramatically reduce the time I spend in front of the tv this summer so I’m looking for some reading materials to occupy some time.

I was never a real heavy reader but I still read occasionally. I just finished Four Days to Glory and Hannibal Rising. I’m just interested in what you guys like to read besides the books you would find for sale here at Tnation. Suspense novels, horror novels, nonfiction… I don’t really know where to start.

Also, I think I already saw a thread on this subject some time back, but I couldn’t find it so if anyone has that link that would be great.

Do what I did:

CANCEL THE CABLE/SATELLITE SERVICE

I’ve been living without cable for a year now and I don’t miss it one fucking bit.

:slight_smile:

Chuck Palahniuk books.

I’m currently reading his new one, Rant.

Hemingway’s always good.

One Bullet Away - By Captain Nate Fick USMC (RET)

[quote]Xylene wrote:
Do what I did:

CANCEL THE CABLE/SATELLITE SERVICE

I’ve been living without cable for a year now and I don’t miss it one fucking bit.

:)[/quote]

Man, that’s just crazy. Now how are you supposed to get the latest breaking news about Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears or Paris Hilton???

Actually sounds like a good idea, but I’m already addicted to a few select shows, and the Discovery channel is probably the only one I need (want) that I can’t get with rabbit-ear antennas.

As for the reading part, I’m halfway through the Lord of the Rings book (the complete 6-book book), and it’s MUCH better than the movie, and I loved the movie.

I am thinking about reading this whole book, along with the Hobbit at least once every year if I don’t get bored with it.

To the OP and you, SWR (as I can’t PM you)…

try reading some Warhammer 40,000 stuff from Black Library. Soul Drinkers Omnibus, Ultramarines Omnibus, Horus Heresy and Eisenhorn Omnibus.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/default.asp

bloody, gory, brutal battle scenes. Just beautiful.

If you blow up your television, you’ll provide yourself with entertainment while putting an end to your boob-tube addiction.

[quote]kroby wrote:

try reading some Warhammer 40,000 stuff from Black Library. Soul Drinkers Omnibus, Ultramarines Omnibus, Horus Heresy and Eisenhorn Omnibus.

bloody, gory, brutal battle scenes. Just beautiful.[/quote]

Love to read the black library. Good stuff. WAAAAGHHHHHHHHH to you!!!

The answer to this question really depends on your interests.

But, read anything by Charles Bukowski from the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s…even the poetry books are awesome.

[quote]kroby wrote:

bloody, gory, brutal battle scenes. Just beautiful.[/quote]

I forgot I did that. I just changed it back.

That website looks good. The problem I have with reading is that I have a tough time picturing settings and people’s faces, even if they give a lot of detail.

Having seen the LOTR already allowed me to put faces and settings in as I read the book.

Yes, get rid of cable and enjoy the books!

I like theology, history, and the occasional crime novel.

jpb

Snow Crash

Just finished reading I am Legend by Matheson. Very good book

Just started reading the modern gentleman which one of the authors on this site recomended in an article

Kurt Vonnegut just died. His books are great. Fast reading too, you can knock off 2 or 3 a week without even trying.

For non fiction, find something that represents the opposite side of the political spectrum.

[quote]SWR wrote:

Man, that’s just crazy. Now how are you supposed to get the latest breaking news about Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears or Paris Hilton???

Actually sounds like a good idea, but I’m already addicted to a few select shows, and the Discovery channel is probably the only one I need (want) that I can’t get with rabbit-ear antennas.[/quote]

No…you don’t NEED it.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
If you blow up your television, you’ll provide yourself with entertainment while putting an end to your boob-tube addiction.[/quote]

AHAHAHA. Smash your TV and have adventure!!! AARRRRRRR!
/pirate like voice

[quote]Xylene wrote:
SWR wrote:

Actually sounds like a good idea, but I’m already addicted to a few select shows, and the Discovery channel is probably the only one I need (want) that I can’t get with rabbit-ear antennas.

No…you don’t NEED it.

Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
If you blow up your television, you’ll provide yourself with entertainment while putting an end to your boob-tube addiction.

AHAHAHA. Smash your TV and have adventure!!! AARRRRRRR!
/pirate like voice

[/quote]

I went without cable for ages. Who needs it anyway when there are links like this.

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/index.do/1

i guess it depends on what types of books u like reading.

my favorite book of all time and was a new york times bestseller was Sophie’s World by jostein gaarder. its about this girl who starts to learn about philosophy and the history of the philosophers. ull learn so much from that book its not even funny. its a great read for anyone

also u may want to pick up how to win friends and influence people by dale carnegie

[quote]Molotov_Coktease wrote:

I went without cable for ages. Who needs it anyway when there are links like this.

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/index.do/1

[/quote]

Very true very true…

I’ve just started a great book, won Non fiction science book of the year this side of the pond (UK);

Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert.

No it’s not a happiness self help book, in fact it deplores them. Here’s a summary…

"Most of us spend our lives steering ourselves toward the best of all possible futures, only to find that tomorrow rarely turns out as we had presumed. Why? As Harvard psychologist Daniel Gilbert explains, when people try to imagine what the future will hold, they make some basic and consistent mistakes. Just as memory plays tricks on us when we try to look backward in time, so does imagination play tricks when we try to look forward.

Using cutting-edge research, much of it original, Gilbert shakes, cajoles, persuades, tricks, and jokes us into accepting the fact that happiness is not really what or where we thought it was.

Smart, witty, accessible, and laugh-out-loud funny, Stumbling on Happiness brilliantly describes all that science has to tell us about the uniquely human endeavor to envision the future, and how likely we are to enjoy it when we get there."

It makes for a great read…

i’m reading “The Reluctant Fundamentalist” right now, quick read, but a good one, i like the technique teh author’s using to tell teh story, and its an interesting topic

Since I didn’t do shit in high school and missed out on all those “must-read” books, I’m working my way through this list (not in any particular order):
http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/the_complete_list.html

Five down, 95 to go.