T Nation

Summer Diet & Training Protocol

The onset of summer has left me with tremendous amounts of free time on my hands, with which I aim to rebuild myself- faster, stronger, and leaner. This protocol is about the best way I could figure to use all that time as best I could. Rectification of any immediately glaring errors would be tremendously appreciated, and a verdict on whether this will result in overtraining or simply be voluminous but effective would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance to all who respond!

9:00-2k walk
Omega-3,Centrum forte, shake(whey concentrate)- 180 kcals, 25g protein, 19g carbs.
2 Peanut butter sandwiches on wholegrain- 660 kcals, 26g protein, 22g fat, 92g carbs.
12:00-1:00 main daily workout*
Omega-3, greens+ , shake(whey isolate)- 190 kcals, 35g protein, 18g carbs.
3 Peanut butter sandwiches on wholegrain- 870 kcals, 39g protein, 31.5g fat, 138g carbs.
3:30-4 supplementary exercise (movement capacity drills on leg day, LYTP, 2k walk on upper body day)
Omega-3, shake(whey concentrate)- 120 kcals, 25g protein, 2g carbs
1 Peanut butter sandwich on wholegrain- 290 kcals, 13g protein, 11g fat, 25g carbs
6:30-7 supplementary workout- sleds, sprints, carries (2k walk again on upper body days)
Shake- 180 kcals, 25g protein, 19g carbs
1 Peanut butter sandwich on wholegrain- 290 kcals, 13g protein, 11g fat, 25g carbs
500ml whole milk- 320 kcal, 17.5g fat, 16.5g protein, 24g carbs
Shake(whey concentrate)- 120 kcal, 25g protein, 2g carbs
500ml whole milk- 320 kcal, 17.5g fat, 16.5g protein, 24g carbs
Totals: 3380 kcals, 259g protein, 388g carbs, 110g fat.

*Leg day: split squats, explosive good mornings, and pallof press alternated with deadlifts and goblet squats.
Upper body day: chinups (eventually to be weighted), bench, and face pulls alternated with press, bent over BB rows, and face-pulls.

tl;dr what do you think of this protocol.

Thanks again all, and sorry for the long post!

...that's a lot of peanut butter sandwiches.

That sounds like the best diet ever. I love peanut butter

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE FRIUTS + VEGGIES? Macronutrients aren't everything...and vitamin pills are supplements. They'll make sure you won't die because of a lack of something, but they sure as hell aren't the best way of getting all your essential micronutrients.

As you guys may have guessed, I'm a horribly picky eater trying to make my diet as healthy AND sustainable as possible. I'm trying to use the pills & greens+ to work around my horrible taste aversion to fruits and veggies. Though not the best method, it's kept me alive and gaining this long. Hopefully I can work on that this summer though and be eating them by next winter.

You can't tell me you don't like ANY vegetables. That's not a taste aversion, that's some weird psychological aversion.

Maybe broccoli raped and murdered his parents?

But seriously, eat your fruits and veggies and I guarantee you're gains will be greater.

Well then, I'll set to work on adding some in. Any particular recommendations? Any further appraisals of the training program as it stands? All feedback is appreciated- thanks for what you've given me so far guys.

I would throw some meat in there, and maybe some fish. I know you are getting plenty of protein and fats according to the macro's, but I am still skeptical that unless you're eating your red meat and fish you are missing out on something.

4 really good veggies are broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and spinach. There's a lot of ways to cook them. I personally just go steamed with a sprinkle of salt and some pepper. If you really can't handle the taste, then there's a variety of ways to prep/season to minimize it. For example, chop finely, drop into a stir fry. You'll barely know it's there.

you are not eating ANY whole natural foods?

what the shit?!?

Talldude thanks for the suggestions on dishes; is there any particular optimal time to ingest vegetables in a similar vein to macronutrient timing, or can I just throw them in whenever?
Ethanwest very well I'll try phasing in grilled chicken breast to replace the shakes later in the day, think that'll do the trick?

Any feedback on the training program guys or does that pass muster for the moment?

Thanks for all the feedback!

Your diet is absurd, and your training program is pathetic.

You're doing 3 exercises for your entire upper body in one session, and a total of 1 exercise for your lower body that isn't completely fucking retarded (deadlifts).

Explosive goodmornings? More like exploding spine.

And you aren't even eating any whole foods. At all, except peanut butter sandwiches. Yet for some reason all everybody is talking about is your lack of... vegetables?

IS THIS ENTIRE THREAD A JOKE? Did I miss the punchline?

i'm with Mr. Popular. eat something.

"phase in some chicken breasts"!?

How about you phase in some brain cells?

This doesn't have to be complicated. What kind of meat do you like to eat? Eat 1lb of it every day. That will get you to around 100-130 grams of protein. You need about another 100 grams from things like eggs, milk, and whey protein. Beyond that, peanut butter sandwiches are fine. Eat enough of them to get you gaining 3-5lbs a month. If you can do that while eating vegetables, great... if not? No one really cares. Vegetables don't matter that much. lol

As far as your training routine, it's fine if you don't want to do a complicated program, but you seem to be missing a lot of the BASICS. Every major muscle group has a couple bread and butter exercises that it doesn't develop very well without. The chest needs flat and incline pressing, the back needs pullups and rows, shoulders need pressing and side raises, legs need squats and leg curls, arms need curls and extensions. These are just the bare ass basics of a bodybuilding routine, and if you don't have some variation of any one of these then your physique is probably not on the right track.

Although I understand that this is posted in the beginners forum, I'm with Mr. Popular here as well. There's NO way you could possibly have read anything on this website before making that post.

Honestly, the worst part is that you've been on this board for almost 2 years. What the hell, man?

Start eating like an adult. Vegetables, meats, etc.

Look into 5/3/1, BBB, WS4SB, or KingofBeef's "Do this Routine Instead of that DUMB One." Your routine is absolutely absurd.

To be totally honest, I'm really not a huge fan of meat. On the advice of, well, everyone in this thread, I'm going to integrate significantly more than i had intended to into my diet this summer, but I doubt I could get through a pound of it a day. As much as I'm trying to optimize my gains through a bullet-proof diet, it's no help to me unless I can remain consistent with it. I don't know if you actually read through the blurb before my post, but this isn't a bulking phase. As much as I'm looking to gain functional mass, hypertrophy is not the name of the game- hence my inclusion of "retarded" exercises such as bulgarian split squats. As far as exercise selection is concerned, don't I already have both pullups and rows, as well as vertical and horizontal pressing? Are leg curls really superior to good mornings and deadlifts for hamstring stimulation (as leg curls are an isolation move and the latter are compound movements)?

Do goblet squats not count as squats? Additionally, while I will certainly take your advice and beef up my upper body program, is it really wise to try to slap two ball-busting lower body workouts into one day? I'm planning to go all-out on the sled pulls, log carries, and sprints, and so I figured it was better to design my in-gym training sessions to be more about quality neural and muscular stimulation than completely fatiguing my lower body, as I figured the outdoor session later in the day would suffer dramatically if I had absolutely torn my legs apart already. My training goals are fat-loss, strength, and explosiveness, and as such I designed my program to emphasize the outdoor session rather than the gym session for lower-body. Was this in error?

Once again, thank you all very much for the helpful feedback!

I have actually read a considerable amount of the content that was posted after my join date, and some which was posted before. It appears that my error lay in attempting to synthesize what I have learned into a program that incorporates all of what I believed to be the most important concepts that have been put forward in the articles I have read. The reason I tried to design my own program rather than choose one of the many excellent pre-extisting ones was my belief that I could craft one of my own that would make fuller use of all the time I have available to me.

Firstly, where did you get any of the information that led to your creating that diet and routine? What program advocates that much peanut butter and whey?

You aren't making fuller use of the time that you have available to you. Get on a program. If nothing else, the responses to your post should make perfectly clear to you that you aren't capable of creating your own program that makes better use of your time at this point in your experience level (and possibly cognitive abilities, if you've truly read a lot of TNation articles at this point).

The overuse of peanut butter and whey is largely due to my attempt to find a workaround for my longstanding picky eating habits, in an effort to make it easier to stay consistent. The training program as it stands was my attempt to integrate strongman training and more athletic movements into a wholly more active lifestyle. This is what was responsible for the fact that I would be exercising before every meal etc. in an effort to make full use of post-workout insulin sensitivity. However as you guys have pointed out, trying to exercise that much leads mostly to wimpy workouts. On your advice, I'll take up 5/3/1 instead.