T Nation

Summer Cut Results


#1


Hey guys, just thought I'd post my results from a cut I did the first half of this year. I was guided by Trent Peterson, aka Pwolves on here. He was absolutely great. It was a very long, slow process, because I didn't really want to 'suffer' lol. I work 40 hrs a week, was a applying/visiting grad schools, visiting my GF whose 2 hrs away, my friends that are mostly all 1-2 hrs away, so I needed flexibility, which Trent was great about.

The pictures are 22 weeks apart, after a cut, and then a reverse diet back up to higher calories. I had gotten quite soft over the holidays, so wanted to get leaner and feeling better about myself by summer. lol. I've cut about 3 times, first time I ended up low 170s at this leanness, next time low 180s, this time high 180s/low 190s, so while I feel I make super slow progress, I'll take what I can get. haha

If anyone is looking a easy to work with and affordable diet coach, I'd definitely suggest Trent/Pwovles. I'm very happy with my results, and am happy I won't feel like a soft blob at pool parties and beaches this summer lol


#2

a) your GF is too far away. get a closer one.

b) your hair has come a long way. nice job.

c) you look great. well done.


#3

<3

Good work, broseph


#4

Nice. What’s the difference in body weight between the before and after pics? Did you continue losing scale weight or looking leaner as you reversed?


#5

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
a) your GF is too far away. get a closer one.

b) your hair has come a long way. nice job.

c) you look great. well done.[/quote]

a) We ended up getting into the same grad school, so it’s no issue once Fall comes around

b) I kind of let it get wild in hopes it’d help the before/after photos lol

c) Thanks, trying to catch up to you man. haha


#6

[quote]HeavyTriple wrote:
<3

Good work, broseph[/quote]

Thx bby xoxo


#7

[quote]TrevorLPT wrote:
Nice. What’s the difference in body weight between the before and after pics? Did you continue losing scale weight or looking leaner as you reversed?
[/quote]

First pic is 213, most recent is 189. I’m tall and long limbed, so it doesn’t look like 20+ lbs difference IMO. Lowest I ever got was 187 I believe, but that was right at the tail end of the cut/beginning of reverse dieting. So yeah, actually I dropped a quick 2ish pounds when starting the reverse

I ‘appear’ leaner as I add in calories, just being lower bf + looking fuller, and technically I’m still upping cals (will add some whenever my weight doesn’t move/drops for 2 weeks straight).


#8

How tall are you? I’d say the cut was a little unwarranted, but I’m walking around in the softer 220s, so I’m probably more comfortable with higher bf.

How’d your strength fare?

I always enjoy pwolves’ post in the bb forum. Good attitude and I always appreciate the input of taller lifters. Oddly, I don’t think I’d ever hire a coach that wasn’t a FFB. If I remember correctly, he’s a fan of ultra high protein w/ low fat, trying to keep the carbs from getting too low, and isn’t too concerned with carb sources.


#9

good work mate!


#10

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
How tall are you? I’d say the cut was a little unwarranted, but I’m walking around in the softer 220s, so I’m probably more comfortable with higher bf.

How’d your strength fare?

I always enjoy pwolves’ post in the bb forum. Good attitude and I always appreciate the input of taller lifters. Oddly, I don’t think I’d ever hire a coach that wasn’t a FFB. If I remember correctly, he’s a fan of ultra high protein w/ low fat, trying to keep the carbs from getting too low, and isn’t too concerned with carb sources.[/quote]

I’m 6’2". I don’t think I was like obnoxiously fat or anything, but I’m naturally pretty skinny and lean. So honestly I feel better at this Bf level. I feel not only self conscious at the before weight, but I feel sluggish when going to play basketball, feel tired more often, etc.

Strength was ok. DL Continued going up. Squat and Bench, both I got some advice from the PL forum and mid-cut decided to lower the weights and pretty much re-do my form from the ground up, so progress was a little harder to look at. But regardless I’m either right at or a bit stronger than I was 20 lbs heavier.

I think Trent obviously changes things based on the client, but he had me eating more protein than I was used too, I do agree with that. Right off the top of my head,my macros started at I think 390 Carbs, 275 Pro, and 90 Fat with a weekly refeed, and the lowest they got was around 220 Carbs, 250 Pro, and 60 fat


#11

[quote]Yogi wrote:
good work mate![/quote]

Thanks buddy! Sorry no bent pressing :confused:


#12

One thing that kind of sucked is my Quads and Lats lost a decent amount of growth IMO. This past year I’ve lifted exclusively at my home gym, and I realize a lot of the volume I used to be able to hit lats and legs with was because of machines cables, because they didn’t interfere with lower back recovery as much. I’ve had to be more aware of my training economy, which is a good skill to learn, but I burned myself about 3 separate times this year, once during the cut lol


#13

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
One thing that kind of sucked is my Quads and Lats lost a decent amount of growth IMO. This past year I’ve lifted exclusively at my home gym, and I realize a lot of the volume I used to be able to hit lats and legs with was because of machines cables, because they didn’t interfere with lower back recovery as much. I’ve had to be more aware of my training economy, which is a good skill to learn, but I burned myself about 3 separate times this year, once during the cut lol[/quote]

Ever consider getting a sled? Be a great way to fry out your legs without touching your back. You can also do sled rows as well for the lats.


#14

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
One thing that kind of sucked is my Quads and Lats lost a decent amount of growth IMO. This past year I’ve lifted exclusively at my home gym, and I realize a lot of the volume I used to be able to hit lats and legs with was because of machines cables, because they didn’t interfere with lower back recovery as much. I’ve had to be more aware of my training economy, which is a good skill to learn, but I burned myself about 3 separate times this year, once during the cut lol[/quote]

Ever consider getting a sled? Be a great way to fry out your legs without touching your back. You can also do sled rows as well for the lats.[/quote]

I actually used to have homemade sled I made out of an old tire. worked moderately well, but I left it in the back of my truck one night and it rained in it, and after that molded pretty quick haha. then I kind of just never got back around to making another.

I’ll be on my way to school come August, so I’ll have to say goodbye to my dungeon gym, and will be back to a commercial gym, so the leg/lat thing won’t be as big a deal probably.


#15

what happened with your back?


#16

How did your measurements change? Any significant loss?


#17

[quote]Yogi wrote:
what happened with your back?[/quote]

Lats probably got smaller because I’ve really only done chins for them and I don’t get much of a MMC from Chins, but here’s a back pic from a few weeks ago


#18

[quote]J. Prufrock wrote:
How did your measurements change? Any significant loss?[/quote]

I actually don’t take measurements, as they mess with my head lol. I know I’m on the 2nd to last notch on my lifting belt, and last time I was there I was 175-180 I think lol


#19

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
what happened with your back?[/quote]

Lats probably got smaller because I’ve really only done chins for them and I don’t get much of a MMC from Chins, but here’s a back pic from a few weeks ago[/quote]

sorry, mate, I misunderstood. When you said your “lower back recovery” I assumed you were rehabbing an injury


#20

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
what happened with your back?[/quote]

Lats probably got smaller because I’ve really only done chins for them and I don’t get much of a MMC from Chins, but here’s a back pic from a few weeks ago[/quote]

sorry, mate, I misunderstood. When you said your “lower back recovery” I assumed you were rehabbing an injury[/quote]

Ohh no sorry I probably wasn’t very clear. Yeah no injury, just accumulative fatigue from BB rows, Squat variations, etc