Alright, summer’s almost here and my training can finally begin to get serious. I have Many questions and would Really appreciate anyone’s input or ideas.
Some information about myself: Im sixteen, 5-11 and 170pounds. Ive been weight training for about 6 months but had to take a few months off due to school.
Lately my workouts have been based on about 4 exercises per session and five sets of four or five reps per exercise with about 1 min rest between sets. I train Upperbody Mon. and Thurs. and train Legs Tues. and Fri. My Upperbody workouts are usually bench press, chin ups, and dips. My Leg workouts consist of back Squats, Deadlifts, Calf raises, and Split Squats. I was told compound exercises are best for sport-training.
Max Bench: 135
Max Squat: 200
Its obvious that I need to lose some fat, but at the same time I really need to improve my strength and power.
- Which should I focus on first: Weight loss or Strength gain?
- How should I go about losing weight or building strength?
My focus this summer will be my improvement at basketball and I dont want my training in the weight room to slow down my performance on the court. In the past Ive had problems with overtraining and tend to become exhausted ALL the time to the point I feel like giving up my training.
- What days should I weight train so that I would have adequate time for recovery and still be able to play basketball about every day.
- How should I split my workout routine so that I gain power and strength. What days would I work Upperbody and Lowerbody
- What set and rep schemes would be best for gaining power and strength while at the same time not induce severe muscle fatigue?
- What exercises are ideal for basketball players and would help me achieve improvement in these areas:
- Vertical Jump
- How often should I change my exercise routine? Should I retain certain “core” exercises such as squat and deadlifts for each routine?
- How should I incorporate such training as plyometrics and conditioning so that they dont interfere with my weight training?
I hope to be in great condition by next September.
- How should I split my entire summer training into different mesocycles that focus on specific areas of improvement? (so that I can incorporate conditioning, speed workouts and speed-strength sesssions into my workouts?)
Thanks for reading my post and my list of questions. I really appreciate your time and input. Anything will be a BIG help to me. Im sorry for the length of this post, but I need a lot of answers and really have no one to ask. Thanks again