T Nation

Suit Alterations?

So I got my Centurion today. FINALLY I can get the legs up (tried 2 other sizes that I had to send back due to leg size). I definitely couldn’t go any tighter, as the legs on this suit are still painful. However, the rest of the suit is a little loose. The hips and seat are ok, but the waist and straps could use altering, since I can actually put my own straps up with little effort.

I will train with straps down tommorrow, but eventually I will need to get it altered to compete with. Could I take it to any tailor or do I need to send it to a specialist? If I can take it anywhere, are there any special orders I need to give the tailor? Thanks guys.

[quote]masonator wrote:
So I got my Centurion today. FINALLY I can get the legs up (tried 2 other sizes that I had to send back due to leg size). I definitely couldn’t go any tighter, as the legs on this suit are still painful. However, the rest of the suit is a little loose. The hips and seat are ok, but the waist and straps could use altering, since I can actually put my own straps up with little effort.

I will train with straps down tommorrow, but eventually I will need to get it altered to compete with. Could I take it to any tailor or do I need to send it to a specialist? If I can take it anywhere, are there any special orders I need to give the tailor? Thanks guys.[/quote]

In my fed, they let you sew the straps. It’s a cheap fix.

I have no first hand knowledge on this subject at all, but I would say go with a pro. Ginny Phillips would be the one who’s name gets thrown out there the most.

Centurions should be very tight through the hips and legs. It’s just how they’re built. Every Centurion I’ve had needed to have the straps tightened up. The body of the suit is generally loose, which makes breathing easier with the straps up.

As far as alterations, most of the lifters at our gym have a local shoe repair shop sew the straps up. Costs about $5 per suit. Just pinch the strap and mark with chalk where you want it sewn up to. They use a heavy duty sewing machine with heavy thread. Never seen a blowout of this type of alteration. Another plus is that you can adjust the tightness depending on bodyweight and experience.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Anybody used Ginny Phillips before, or have any more suggestions?

I take all my stuff to the local shoe repair guy too. For something like the straps it’s cake for them and they can’t really screw it up. Then you can get it back in a few days instead of waiting awhile to send it to Ginny and get it back. I’ve had them fix a shirt sleeve that blew out and it works like a charm. Got it done in 2 days too!!!

I’ve also heard good stuff about cobblers(shoe repair, although the food is delish), its because they have heavy duty sewing machines, etc. that work on stuff like gear. Upholstery guys too.

Good to hear you got the sizing straightened out.

If you can find a tailor with a machine that can perform a tight zig zag stitch with a heavier cotton wraped poly thread this is ideal. Most tailors cannot put a heavy enough thread into that machine and end up having to provide a linear stitch which is typically fine so long as they run it several times. Most cobblers and upholstery guys are going to use heavy cotton thread with a linear stitch.

Taking in the straps will tighten up the body of the suit, as well.

One thing I would tell you is train in the suit a couple of times and then with the suit seated stick your hand down the side b/t the hip and your fabric. I have literally never seen a Centurion that did not need to be taken in at the harness a little as they tend to flare at that point.

So, if you are able to push your hand down the hip relatively easily the suit is too loose.

The primary reason I am telling you this is if you take in the straps first and then decide you need to take in the hips, taking in the hips will shorten the overall length of the suit and make the straps tighter.

Just make sure the hips are good and snug before you get the straps taken in.

I got this information from Jim Parrish (Joe Average Powerlifting). I use a local lady who is a tailor, she makes costums (bodybuilding, ect), very good at what she does. I took my single ply poly’s to her and had her shorten the arms, that the chest in, add some material to my briefs, take my Centurion in. You name it, she has also done a double ply suits poly or denim and double shirts both poly and denim.

All I did was provide her this information:

70 nylon bonded thread and a size 38 needle

From there I would put the items on, then she and I would chalk the lines. I’d come back in a week and everything was perfect. I never had a blow or an issue, nor did Jim or his team using the same thread.

Hope this helps.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Good to hear you got the sizing straightened out.

If you can find a tailor with a machine that can perform a tight zig zag stitch with a heavier cotton wraped poly thread this is ideal. Most tailors cannot put a heavy enough thread into that machine and end up having to provide a linear stitch which is typically fine so long as they run it several times. Most cobblers and upholstery guys are going to use heavy cotton thread with a linear stitch.

Taking in the straps will tighten up the body of the suit, as well.

One thing I would tell you is train in the suit a couple of times and then with the suit seated stick your hand down the side b/t the hip and your fabric. I have literally never seen a Centurion that did not need to be taken in at the harness a little as they tend to flare at that point.

So, if you are able to push your hand down the hip relatively easily the suit is too loose.

The primary reason I am telling you this is if you take in the straps first and then decide you need to take in the hips, taking in the hips will shorten the overall length of the suit and make the straps tighter.

Just make sure the hips are good and snug before you get the straps taken in.

[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I probably would have never thought of that!

[quote]Braunbeck wrote:
I got this information from Jim Parrish (Joe Average Powerlifting). I use a local lady who is a tailor, she makes costums (bodybuilding, ect), very good at what she does. I took my single ply poly’s to her and had her shorten the arms, that the chest in, add some material to my briefs, take my Centurion in. You name it, she has also done a double ply suits poly or denim and double shirts both poly and denim.

All I did was provide her this information:

70 nylon bonded thread and a size 38 needle

From there I would put the items on, then she and I would chalk the lines. I’d come back in a week and everything was perfect. I never had a blow or an issue, nor did Jim or his team using the same thread.

Hope this helps. [/quote]

Thanks a ton! I know nothing about sewing, but I was sure I needed a beefy thread for the suit. By the way, you post on planet rage, too don’t you?

Jim Parrish is someone I had many conversations about alterations with years ago. He is a good resource and has a real good understanding of it. I think he used to work with a guy named Ron for alterations?

[quote]Braunbeck wrote:
I got this information from Jim Parrish (Joe Average Powerlifting). I use a local lady who is a tailor, she makes costums (bodybuilding, ect), very good at what she does. I took my single ply poly’s to her and had her shorten the arms, that the chest in, add some material to my briefs, take my Centurion in.

You name it, she has also done a double ply suits poly or denim and double shirts both poly and denim.

All I did was provide her this information:

70 nylon bonded thread and a size 38 needle

From there I would put the items on, then she and I would chalk the lines. I’d come back in a week and everything was perfect. I never had a blow or an issue, nor did Jim or his team using the same thread.

Hope this helps. [/quote]

Mason, I do post on Rage also.

APW, yeah Jim is a great guy and has a great understanding of gear and bands. I just couldn’t train on his program anymore. I workout in a commercial gym, nothing is bolted down and the rack would come off the floor. I was up to double blues and double green on bench and on squat I was up to 2 sets of greens and a double purple.

Also Ron worked out with guy on his team and that’s how things got started and continued until Ron retired.