Suicide Pool Pick?

Are any of you guys in a Suicide Pool? I’m still in mine after a close call on Week 1 (I picked St. Louis over AZ), but most of this week’s games seem close – I’m thinking of taking the Pats over AZ, or betting against Chicago, which looked God-awful last week. Any thoughts?

[BTW, for those of you who don’t know what a Suicide Pool is, you buy in for some, err, Monopoly Money at the beginning of the season, and each week you pick one team to win straight-up (no spread). If your team loses or ties, you are out. The only catch is that you can’t pick the same team to win twice.]

we did just the opposite. pick one team to lose, no repeats. I’d avoid division games initially. Look at who looks terrible. 9ers, bears, AZ (or maybe not??), Detoit could be a good pick to win. They are really turning things around there.

Pats seems like a safe choice. I’d also take Denver over Jacksonville.

I wouldn’t bet against chicago. Once Grossman gets his head out of his ass, they might have a shot at some upsets.

Yeah, I took Rams last week as well. This week I am taking GB, this should be an easy win. I also thought of taking New England.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
we did just the opposite. pick one team to lose, no repeats. I’d avoid division games initially. Look at who looks terrible. 9ers, bears, AZ (or maybe not??), Detoit could be a good pick to win. They are really turning things around there.[/quote]

I don’t know that Detroit looked super good or Chicago looked horrid – especially seeing as how Detroit lost Charles Johnson for the season.

AZ is tough – they looked good, but the Rams made a lot of mistakes. If I were betting on a spread I might pick AZ just 'cause it was at 8 1/2 when I last looked, and AZ is at home in the desert heat against the Pats, who are coming off a big win against Indy.

You know who else looked pretty damn good last week? The Jets – and they’re playing San Diego, which I think is really weak even if they did win last week.

You may be right about avoiding division games – that’s the only thing giving me reservations about picking Green Bay, given that Chicago looked so bad and Green Bay did whatever they wanted against Carolina on Monday… But, short week for GB, Bears at home, division game…

Whatever you do to elimate it to take the home team over the vistor gives you a little bit of better odds…

Lucky me –

I went with the Patriots instead of the Packers…

Anyway, now I’ve used up New England and St. Louis with two weeks worth of betting against Arizona. A lot of people got eliminated with the Green Bay pick – probably 40% of the whole pool (it was the game with the biggest point spread, so it wasn’t a big shock that a lot of people would be out).

Now I have to start thinking strategically – you know, do I try to save up some of the better teams until late in the season, or do I just go with the game I think is the biggest lock out of the teams I have left?

[quote]smallnomore wrote:
I wouldn’t bet against chicago. Once Grossman gets his head out of his ass, they might have a shot at some upsets.[/quote]

The Swami knows…

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:

Now I have to start thinking strategically – you know, do I try to save up some of the better teams until late in the season, or do I just go with the game I think is the biggest lock out of the teams I have left? [/quote]

With 40% gone already, I would just pick a winner, not play it to save it. Like the Packers. Instead of kicking a near sure 3 and attempting a on side which had to happen, they went for it on 4ht, duh, and missed. Ona two possession deficit, why don’t teams just get in FG range quick and kick it. what could happen?

So here’s the state of the suicide pool this week:

I’m still in, and I’ve used up Philly, New England, Atlanta and St. Louis.

It’s far enough in now that it may be time for some “strategery” - namely I’m thinking of taking the Cardinals over the 49ers because the Cards have looked OK even while they’ve lost, while the 49ers have looked god-awful, even in their one win against the over-rated Saints.

The lock of the week that I haven’t already used would seem to be Indianapolis over my beloved Raiders, just 'cause Indy looks like a juggernaut this season – of course, their defense could decide not to show up and Peyton might have one of those 5 INT games and the Colts could lose something like 27-30…

I was also considering Minnesota, but the Sports Guy on ESPN Page 2 whammied that by picking them to lose in his “Upset of the Week.” Also thought Pittsburgh looked good, except Deuce Staley might not start and I have to make my pick today. Finally, Jacksonville might be a good pick against San Diego, but they’ll probably win by 3 and give me a heart attack.

[quote]smallnomore wrote:
I wouldn’t bet against chicago. Once Grossman gets his head out of his ass, they might have a shot at some upsets.[/quote]

F-ing Bears knocked me out in week 2 by taking out the Packers.

I’m doing the same pool… I went for Indy over Oak in Indy, no way Peyton will let them lose that one.