Suicide Etiquette

[quote]eremesu wrote:
the best advice before making a big decision is to wait a week. i dont think there is anything wrong with suicide and i dont think you have to be crazy, because self worth is a pleasent delusion. although i assume you’d all think he was less insane if he martyred himself for something. that i say is selfish, not curiosity. curiosity is the noblest quality a human can have[/quote]

Getting deep here are we?

If someone is serious about offing themselves, you will hear about it when you find the body. Any other scenario they are just looking for sympathy. Not to say they aren’t probably calling out for help too. If someone tells you they are going to commit suicide, it’s probably because they want you to stop them.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
eremesu wrote:
the best advice before making a big decision is to wait a week. i dont think there is anything wrong with suicide and i dont think you have to be crazy, because self worth is a pleasent delusion. although i assume you’d all think he was less insane if he martyred himself for something. that i say is selfish, not curiosity. curiosity is the noblest quality a human can have

Getting deep here are we?[/quote]

Not really.

Best advice is actually to jerk off first, then think about it.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
eremesu wrote:
the best advice before making a big decision is to wait a week. i dont think there is anything wrong with suicide and i dont think you have to be crazy, because self worth is a pleasent delusion. although i assume you’d all think he was less insane if he martyred himself for something. that i say is selfish, not curiosity. curiosity is the noblest quality a human can have

Getting deep here are we?

Not really.

Best advice is actually to jerk off first, then think about it.[/quote]

Alright, gotcha. Didn’t really have a problem with the deepness going on.

But still, let me rephrase my last post. If someone wants to kill themselves and there is no way to convince them not to, then let them. They obviously think they have it bad although people with worse lives are trying to improve through hard work. It’s his life, not yours; don’t dictate it for them.

I would kick the ever-living shit out of him. Not fight him. Not 'wrestle-him-to-the-ground-to-get-the-gun-away-from-him".
I would beat him savagely, until he’s bleeding, can’t see, can hardly breathe, and will probably spend the next six months in a hospital recovering.

I mean… he was gonna off himself. Might as well get a good ass-kicking on him as long as I still can, right?

[quote]Otep wrote:
I would kick the ever-living shit out of him. Not fight him. Not 'wrestle-him-to-the-ground-to-get-the-gun-away-from-him".
I would beat him savagely, until he’s bleeding, can’t see, can hardly breathe, and will probably spend the next six months in a hospital recovering.

I mean… he was gonna off himself. Might as well get a good ass-kicking on him as long as I still can, right?[/quote]

Lol, as logical as that may seem. The only reason I could come up with not to allow him to kill himself was because it’s essentially homicide.

But physically beating the shit out of him is assault.

And although homicide is a worser crime; for one, two wrongs don’t make a right. Second, this is consensual homicide, aka suicide.

It should be stated that you can become an accessory to a crime if you assist him in any way. For reasons of conspiracy.

This method involving two people is frowned upon in medical practice but still, nonetheless practiced.

If one person would like to kill themselves regardless of cause, they should not be told that they can’t for fear of conviction.

I hate seeing good people leave this world while the bad ones always seem to stick around far too long. That would be my only objection. I don’t feel like we can be entitled to tell other people what to do with their lives. They are not ours to live.

[quote]nothingclever wrote:
I wouldn’t because I believe life is meaningless and suicide is the most logical thing to do. If no one existed there would be no problems in the world.[/quote]

Arent you just glowing with positiveness? :slight_smile:

"Ok.

Can I have your stuff?"

[quote]nothingclever wrote:
I wouldn’t because I believe life is meaningless and suicide is the most logical thing to do. If no one existed there would be no problems in the world.[/quote]

As long as we are on the subject, in the very beginning of Sisyphus, Camus clearly states that, before his logic or philosophy is even discussed, he has obviously decided that suicide is not the answer. If it was, he would have already killed himself, elsewise being the most terrible sort of hypocrite.

You don’t really believe that, you hiply-cynical cunt. If you did, you wouldn’t be here to say it.

Honestly, I’ve occaisonally pondered killing myself out of this same curiosity. I’ve never even come close to actually really considering it, but the thought has crossed my mind. I’ve always decided that there are so many things I want to do here, with this consciousness, that I haven’t done yet, so I will do as many of them as I can before moving on to whatever is next, if anything. To me, this is the most logical conclusion. I’m sure many would agree. In this vein, my buddy would be a bloody pulp as well, for being a perpetuator of bad philosophy.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
I recently took a philosophy course and was given this question to answer. I was wondering what your thoughts were.

A close friend of yours has just confided in you that he plans to kill himself.

Similar to Camus “Myth of Sisyphus”, his stated explanation is that;

I have always been intensely curious about my own existence, the hereafter and whether we transcend with any awareness. Having explored and been frustrated in discerning a relevant truth about my state of being, the next logical step for me is to cause my own death and perhaps find the answers I have always searched for.

The reason I tell you now, is so that you can tell others that this was not done in the grips of any depression, loneliness or sickness, so that they do not feel any guilt about my death.

You know this person to be a deep thinker, sincere and financially comfortable, having a close group of friends and family, but no dependants.

If you failed to convince him not to commit suicide, would you physically try to stop him?[/quote]

I wouldn’t even try to convince him not to kill himself because he talks like a douchebag and I don’t keep douchebags as friends.

being suicidal is not just having a bad life, what it really is about is thinking/knowing that the future is going to be the same or worse. ambrose bierce had a great quote in the devils dictionary about how everybody is so naively optimistic for their future, and they are, otherwise they would have killed themselves. and i am really glad for vicomte, that he get pleasure from keeping his mind occupied with meaningless tasks until he dies of natural causes. because that is life isnt it?

[quote]Otep wrote:

I mean… he was gonna off himself. Might as well get a good ass-kicking on him as long as I still can, right?[/quote]

also it can do some good. like in fight club

[quote]Tithonus81 wrote:
I hate seeing good people leave this world while the bad ones always seem to stick around far too long. That would be my only objection. I don’t feel like we can be entitled to tell other people what to do with their lives. They are not ours to live.[/quote]

How exactly is this a good person? From what I can tell he’s just a self-absorbed douche-bag. If he was a good person he would stop wasting his life getting high and philosophizing, and start volunteering with habitat for humanity, or join the peace corps. Good people spend their lives in the service of others.

The OP described the death of Socrates. Of course, there were other considerations, and Xenophon believed that Socrates had unstated reasons for wanting to die (such as losing his memory).

Anyway, if this person were young and healthy, I would argue that it is irrational, and that he will experience death soon enough without expediting the process.

And I would be wordy about it.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
How exactly is this a good person? From what I can tell he’s just a self-absorbed douche-bag. If he was a good person he would stop wasting his life getting high and philosophizing, and start volunteering with habitat for humanity, or join the peace corps. Good people spend their lives in the service of others.[/quote]

Haven’t read Atlas Shrugged have we? That’s OK, Ayn Rand was crazy bitch anyways. (Don’t worry, for those that don’t like to read the movie is coming out soon with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.)

I may not idealize Objectivism, but I can accept that some people are not necessarily bad just because they don’t spend their lives in the service of others.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
If someone is serious about offing themselves, you will hear about it when you find the body. Any other scenario they are just looking for sympathy. Not to say they aren’t probably calling out for help too. If someone tells you they are going to commit suicide, it’s probably because they want you to stop them.[/quote]

Disagree. One of my best friends in high school had a friend who was always melodramatic and giving hints here and there of suicide. The guy blew his fucking head off with a shotgun. My friend was the one who found his body. He was never quite the same after all that.

[quote]Tithonus81 wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
How exactly is this a good person? From what I can tell he’s just a self-absorbed douche-bag. If he was a good person he would stop wasting his life getting high and philosophizing, and start volunteering with habitat for humanity, or join the peace corps. Good people spend their lives in the service of others.

Haven’t read Atlas Shrugged have we? That’s OK, Ayn Rand was crazy bitch anyways. (Don’t worry, for those that don’t like to read the movie is coming out soon with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.)

I may not idealize Objectivism, but I can accept that some people are not necessarily bad just because they don’t spend their lives in the service of others.
[/quote]

I haven’t read Atlas Shrugged, but Ayn Rand was not a good person. She was just a normal, selfish person. And that’s fine, she has every right to be, just like this douche-bag has every right to sit around pondering the mysteries of the universe if he wants to. However, if all he does is not harm other people, then that doesn’t qualify him as a good person, and the world doesn’t lose a whole lot by his passing.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
I haven’t read Atlas Shrugged, but Ayn Rand was not a good person. She was just a normal, selfish person. And that’s fine, she has every right to be, just like this douche-bag has every right to sit around pondering the mysteries of the universe if he wants to. However, if all he does is not harm other people, then that doesn’t qualify him as a good person, and the world doesn’t lose a whole lot by his passing.[/quote]

“You know this person to be a deep thinker, sincere and financially comfortable, having a close group of friends and family, but no dependants.”

To me that seems to say he was a nice enough guy. “Sincere” and close with his family and he has friends that like him. OK, so he’s not Mother Teresa; he sounds like a guy I would want to meet though. I don’t really consider this type a person an asshole as long as they abide by “live and let live”. Probably did less damage than most to the world.

My God, this is a depressing thread.

Not what I thought it would be.

I was hoping more for:

“If I’m going to off myself, should I do it in a way that’s easy for family/friends to clean up, or should I float myself down a river”… or something like that.

Would it be rude to borrow someone’s gun and ammo to take yourself out? Do you leave a few bucks for the ammo that you used?

I always clean the guns that I borrow-- it’s polite. how do you do that when your head is missing?

My wife would be pissed if I got blood all over her carpet.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
My God, this is a depressing thread.

Not what I thought it would be.

I was hoping more for:

“If I’m going to off myself, should I do it in a way that’s easy for family/friends to clean up, or should I float myself down a river”… or something like that.

Would it be rude to borrow someone’s gun and ammo to take yourself out? Do you leave a few bucks for the ammo that you used?

I always clean the guns that I borrow-- it’s polite. how do you do that when your head is missing?

My wife would be pissed if I got blood all over her carpet.[/quote]

You read my mind lol