T Nation

Suggestions

I have been thinking about dropping out of high school. I plan to get a G.E.D and enroll at a local junior college this winter. The only problem is that I will be missing my senior year of football. I love to play football. I have a very strong bond with my teammates, but I can't stand high school. I'm just asking for any advice or suggestions? thanks

Stay in school dude. Seriously, it's no brainer.

I think you need to do some serious soul searching if your only qualm with dropping out of school is missing out on a season of football.

Yea, unless staying in high school is absolutely unbearable, stay in school. GEDs are worth very little. And what makes you think a junior college is going to be any better?

Seriously man, it's only one year.

Why is high school so bad?

I don't like the structure of high school. I like to call my own shots. Also, the school I go to has no windows. Literally no windows. It makes me think I'm in a prison. I also have A.D.D which makes sitting in a classroom for a long time just about impossible. I have a really hard time getting up in the morning, and the school I go to is horribly over-crowded. The main reason I want to leave high school is because I feel like I'm being held back. I want be on my own and want to be able to control my own destiny.

Or you are just looking for the easy way out.

Why would a junior college, or any other college for that matter, be different? They all have structure. They all have classes and teachers and classmates you'll hate.

Stick it out. Dropping out of high school stays with you for a good long time, whether you have your GED or not.

Ya

It will get alot easier when you no longer have to get up early for school. You know they don't start college or work before noon.

Oh ya, that's just for the guys who did finish high school and college!!

Why stay in HS? GED counts for the same thing when you go to a JC. Let's face it, it's sounds like you're not on your way to valedictorian so why stay?

"Control your own destiny"

What the hell is that shit? Suck it up, its one more year. If you don't like being in school I have news for you, classes in college aren't much better.

Why don't you dual enroll, do co-op or see if your school offers technical training as part of highschool and college credit.

You will not control your own destiny if you quit high school. You will be one of the uneducated, unskilled masses. A GED IS NOT THE SAME as a high school diploma, that is a myth. This is not a good thing. Stop being a pussy, stay the last year.

What will your destiny be like if you don't finish high school?? Forget all the Bill Gates shit you've heard about him dropping out... You are not him.

Control your own destiny after high school. College is basically more of the same, except you're paying out the ass for it. Or you're getting financial aid and I'M paying out the ass for it...In which case I come find out and take control of your destiny.

I don't like the structure of my workplace. I like to call my own shots. Also, the mill I work at has no windows. Literally no windows. It makes me think I'm in a prison. I also have A.D.D which makes being at work for a long time just about impossible.

I have a really hard time getting up in the morning, and the mill I work at is horribly over-crowded. The main reason I want to leave work is because I feel like I'm being held back. I want be on my own and want to be able to control my own destiny.

Life sucks, get over it. Stay in school.

\|/ 3Toes

GED doesn't count as the same thing to most employers.

If he can't stick out HS the odds of him handling any college is quite low.

Suck it up, stay in school and play ball.

If you really want to be in control of your own destiny... move out, get a job, and support your lazy ass. Bitching about being "held back" doesn't count as being independent, neither does using ADD as an excuse. To think you're too good for school, you're either really arrogant and hold yourself in too high regard, or are a brilliant and misunderstood individual trapped in a bovinelike, materialistic, braindead society... I'm going with the former.

OK, heres my story. I dropped out of high school. Worked for 6 years in dead end jobs making minimum wage and working for people that didn't know their head from their asshole. Also, I didn't find the jobs I had challenging and it got to me. I started dating a girl who just started university and I started thinking I could do that! I did a math refresher course and enrolled as a mature student. I got an engineering degree and now make 50K plus a year. My career has challenges and I actually learn from my bosses.

So I dont know what you want to take from this. Just consider any job you are going to get without an education is going to suck and you are most likely going to hate it. I'd say stay in school. Take a year off afterwards if you really want to. Find out what you want to do for a living and get some schooling. It'll pay off. But then again hindsight is 20/20.

Want a suggestion?

-Stop being a pussy. Finish the extra year. As others mentioned, you think when you get a job you can stroll in at noon.

You think school is too structured?

-I can't wait until you try to keep a decent job when you punch in and punch out everyday at the same time. Oh, did I mention you can't just decide not to go to work because you partied to hard? Excuses end after HS.

Look man the reality is no one gives a fuck about you nor your future. You need to really look at yourself and the world around you and think "What am I going to do w/ a GED?"

That's if you don't quit that too.