Suggestions to Improve This Workout

I am currently using this routine three days a week. I’ve been lifting about two years now. I have used Total body workouts when I first started lifting and later changed to a Push/Pull split. I switched to the workout below about three months ago. I’ve almost always used compound lifts. Currently, I am 54 years old, male, 5’9" and 196lbs. I do keep making progress but after lifting for only two years, I still consider myself a newbie. I appreciate any feedback you can suggest. Thanks.

Cardio is two or three 45 minute brisk walks (Very Hilly) a week. I do this to keep the fat in check and not burn off my muscle. This appears to work pretty well.

Day 1:
Back Squats 5x6
BB Rows 5x5
Dips 4 sets
Chins 4 sets
Closegrip BB (Flat) 3x8

Day 2:
Deadlifts 4x6
DB Chest Press (Decline) 3x12
Dips 4 sets
Chins 4 sets
Standing Shoulder Press BB 4x6
Seated Cable Rows 4x8

Day 3:
Front Squats 4x6
DB Chest Press (Incline) 3x12
Chins 4 sets
Dips 4 sets
BB Shoulder Shrugs 3x8

I think I’d remove the dips and chins from the day 2 workout.

[quote]derek wrote:
I think I’d remove the dips and chins from the day 2 workout.[/quote]

So, do you think it is too much to do Dips and Chins all three days. What would you replace them with on Day 2, if anything. Thanks for the response.

[quote]geode wrote:
derek wrote:

So, do you think it is too much to do Dips and Chins all three days. What would you replace them with on Day 2, if anything. Thanks for the response.

[/quote]

You could have upright rows and curls, or calves? Or hang snatch or hang clean! yeah… one of those please.

Joe

[quote]Joe Brook wrote:
geode wrote:
derek wrote:

You could have upright rows and curls, or calves? Or hang snatch or hang clean! yeah… one of those please.

Joe[/quote]

Upright Rows, yeah, I used to do them when I first started lifting and then got away from them for some reason. I do throw in curls into the workout if I’m not too pooped out by the end. I mix it up with Standing BB curls, hammer-curls, and preacher curls with EZ Bar. So, I guess upright rows and some curls can work. So, do you think doing chins and dips all three workouts is too much, or just better to do different lifts on day two in order to hit other muscle fiber better. Thanks.

[quote]geode wrote:
Joe Brook wrote:
geode wrote:
derek wrote:

Joe

Upright Rows, yeah, I used to do them when I first started lifting and then got away from them for some reason. I do throw in curls into the workout if I’m not too pooped out by the end. I mix it up with Standing BB curls, hammer-curls, and preacher curls with EZ Bar. So, I guess upright rows and some curls can work. So, do you think doing chins and dips all three workouts is too much, or just better to do different lifts on day two in order to hit other muscle fiber better. Thanks.

[/quote]

I personally don’t, its just that too much of the same exercise (ie. 3+ times a week) will often quickly cause an injury.