Suggestions on a New Hand Gun

I am looking to get myself a hand gun soon. I was thinking about getting one of those Springfield XD 45ACP. Has anyone ever shot one or knows someone that has one? Looking for something descent but I dont want to spend $1000 on a gun right now.

I’ve shot the springfield xd compact 9, 40 cal and 45. For the price they’re a good gun.

Cool Gun talk…Well as of late I have ventured away from the Sig P226 and onto the Glock 17. Now that is some fun shooting. Only put away about 700 rounds with it. But I’m loving the ride. I’m sure some of the guys will come in with better advice. But you should not have to go beyond 700 for a GREAT hand gun

Sig- 550-650 bucks
Glock 17-19-22 500-600

And with any of those you can get extra mags and locks hell some will even throw in night sights.

is it going to be a concealed carry gun? what is the intended use of the gun.

i love my sig, but its hard to carry.

Go big or go home…

Get a glock 9mm. Last you forever, indestructible, ammo is cheap and plentiful…

[quote]ARobb77 wrote:

Go big or go home…[/quote]
Holy shit.

[quote]four60 wrote:
Cool Gun talk…Well as of late I have ventured away from the Sig P226 and onto the Glock 17. Now that is some fun shooting. Only put away about 700 rounds with it. But I’m loving the ride. I’m sure some of the guys will come in with better advice. But you should not have to go beyond 700 for a GREAT hand gun

Sig- 550-650 bucks
Glock 17-19-22 500-600

And with any of those you can get extra mags and locks hell some will even throw in night sights.[/quote]

I’ve got glock a 17 long slide. It also has 22 rimifire conversion kit to save money at the range that I so want.

Have you ever shot a smith and wesson model 41? Dayum those things are sweet for a range gun.

What are your plans with your .45? If you’re planning on keeping it indefinitely than buy something with some goddamn quality. 1911’s by Kimber or S&W even used, would be worth a look. I put about 1000 to 1500 rounds a year through this and it’s always performed like a dream. Much better than some composite toy gun…

[quote]Kawull wrote:
What are your plans with your .45? If you’re planning on keeping it indefinitely than buy something with some goddamn quality. 1911’s by Kimber or S&W even used, would be worth a look. I put about 1000 to 1500 rounds a year through this and it’s always performed like a dream. Much better than some composite toy gun…

[/quote]

external extractor = 1911 blasphemous mega-fail

Can’t go wrong with a Glock 17/19. 9mm will work just fine and ammo is about half the price of .45, meaning you can practice more. Practice, practice, practice. Having a .45 doesn’t mean shit if you’re a lousy shot.
S&W M&P9 or Springfield XD or XDm are also great choices and VERY good value at ~$500.

Why does no one here like revolvers?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Why does no one here like revolvers?[/quote]

limited capacity, long heavy double action pull, expensive for quality piece…

all that said, I’d love a stainless Colt Python for a range toy.

[quote]Racer377 wrote:

[quote]Kawull wrote:

[/quote]

Can’t go wrong with a Glock 17/19. 9mm will work just fine and ammo is about half the price of .45, meaning you can practice more. Practice, practice, practice. Having a .45 doesn’t mean shit if you’re a lousy shot.
S&W M&P9 or Springfield XD or XDm are also great choices and VERY good value at ~$500.
[/quote]

So far it’s been my experience (having owned both Internal and External) that it has been largely contingent on the various mag’s people have been using and their keeping their gun clean. I know with the Kimber’s the firing pin safety plunger was getting caught up and the issue being mistaken for the extractor. The S&W I’ve had for I think a little more than 3 years (about 5K rounds) and out of the 4 mag’s I rotate through, only 1 ever caused any jamming.

So far, EVERY Springfield I’ve owned, from their mid to low-end 1911’s and also their XD’s has been shit. Is the OP looking for self defense, going to the range and unloading, or just trying to look tough?

Ultimately I don’t really see why some brands dabbled in the external extractor anyway, as the internal originally seemed to work just fine.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Revolvers are badass. And if it ever fails, you can always hit them with it?

[quote]Kawull wrote:

[quote]Racer377 wrote:

[quote]Kawull wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

So far it’s been my experience (having owned both Internal and External) that it has been largely contingent on the various mag’s people have been using and their keeping their gun clean. I know with the Kimber’s the firing pin safety plunger was getting caught up and the issue being mistaken for the extractor. The S&W I’ve had for I think a little more than 3 years (about 5K rounds) and out of the 4 mag’s I rotate through, only 1 ever caused any jamming.

So far, EVERY Springfield I’ve owned, from their mid to low-end 1911’s and also their XD’s has been shit. Is the OP looking for self defense, going to the range and unloading, or just trying to look tough?

Ultimately I don’t really see why some brands dabbled in the external extractor anyway, as the internal originally seemed to work just fine.[/quote]

Not a big fan of Springfields 1911s either. There’s just something that bugs me about the quintessential American pistol having a Brazilian frame. It’s like having a US flag made in China…just wrong.

[quote]Kawull wrote:

[quote]Racer377 wrote:

[quote]Kawull wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ultimately I don’t really see why some brands dabbled in the external extractor anyway, as the internal originally seemed to work just fine.[/quote]

Not a big fan of Springfields 1911s either. There’s just something that bugs me about the quintessential American pistol having a Brazilian frame. It’s like having a US flag made in China…just wrong.

[quote]Racer377 wrote:

[quote]Kawull wrote:

[quote]Racer377 wrote:

[quote]Kawull wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

QFT

[quote]Racer377 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

all that said, I’d love a stainless Colt Python for a range toy. [/quote]

But the don’t jam. I’ve jammed every semi-auto I’ve ever fired at least once. Even a gen 4 g17. And even if a round fails to fire, all you have to do is pull the trigger again.

I also don’t think they are that expensive when you compare caliber.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Racer377 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

But the don’t jam. I’ve jammed every semi-auto I’ve ever fired at least once. Even a gen 4 g17. And even if a round fails to fire, all you have to do is pull the trigger again.

I also don’t think they are that expensive when you compare caliber.[/quote]

I can recall seeing more than few revolvers with timing or forcing cone issues. They’re pretty solid, but they aren’t invincible.

[quote]Racer377 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Racer377 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

I also don’t think they are that expensive when you compare caliber.[/quote]

I can recall seeing more than few revolvers with timing or forcing cone issues. They’re pretty solid, but they aren’t invincible.
[/quote]

a taurus or something?

It just seems like:
Simple + reliable = good home defense
Powerful and accurate = good for target or hunting

I’ve just gotten to where I prefer them.