T Nation

Suggestions For Science Project?

Hey guys,

Im in the 10th grade and i have a science project to do. Im taking biology, so i can pretty much anything i want involving life.

I would like to do something with lifting weights or something with how the body responds to different stimui, but im open to all suggestions. I need some help incorporating this into my project.

Its due in about 2.5 months, so i have 10 weeks to experiment.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks a lot

Tom

[quote]TomRocco wrote:
Hey guys,

Im in the 10th grade and i have a science project to do. Im taking biology, so i can pretty much anything i want involving life.

I would like to do something with lifting weights or something with how the body responds to different stimui, but im open to all suggestions. I need some help incorporating this into my project.

Its due in about 2.5 months, so i have 10 weeks to experiment.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks a lot

Tom[/quote]

OK, here’s what you do:

1. Put forth a hypothesis that testosterone makes men more aggressive and explain that trace amounts of it are found in semen.

2. Jerk off multiple times daily and save it in a glass jar for about a week.

3. Get a bunch of your male friends together and set up a video camera to record a “taste test” of some popular competing sodas.

4. Mix a healthy dollop of your spooge with each glass of soda you give to your friends during the “taste test”.

5. After their “tasting” is completed, tell them what was in the beverages they drank with the camera still recording them getting pissed and kicking (or trying to kick) your ass.

6. Repeat with as many male friends as you have to show consistent repeatability.

You can’t lose with this! Your hypothesis is bound to be entirely confirmed, and if any of your male friends don’t respond aggressively, you’ve learned something useful in the bargain.

I think you should replicate Dave tat’es expeiment with ice and testosterone levels. Look here for directions:

asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=46936&tid=124

I’ll bet you get an A++.

Test the hypothesis that lifting lower weights for more reps builds size while lifting heavier weight for less reps builds strength. Use one side of your body for high reps and one for low.

If after 5 weeks you do find a difference, you can then switch left and right size to complete the experiment. If you don’t see a difference after five weeks then don’t switch.

You can make lots of nice graphs charting your progress and make projections into the future.

Or you can just do what I did in high school. Leave a slice of bread out for 10 weeks and then report that it got moldy:)

Have fun.

[quote]onewall wrote:
Test the hypothesis that lifting lower weights for more reps builds size while lifting heavier weight for less reps builds strength. Use one side of your body for high reps and one for low.

If after 5 weeks you do find a difference, you can then switch left and right size to complete the experiment. If you don’t see a difference after five weeks then don’t switch.

You can make lots of nice graphs charting your progress and make projections into the future.

Or you can just do what I did in high school. Leave a slice of bread out for 10 weeks and then report that it got moldy:)

Have fun.
[/quote]

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. it looks like a doable project, and as you said, yes i can make a whole bunch of graphs.

Any other suggestions would be great.

All right, wait till the night before it’s due, then do a little experiment on the temperature dependence on the life of a soap bubble.

I think I got an A on that one.

Get a bunch of mice. Break them up into test groups. Feed them varying ratios of protein/carbs/fat. Vary feeding times as well.

You can control their sleep cycles by controlling lighting. Make some of them fat by feeding them carbs before bed. Make others into muscle mice by giving them like 80% protein and 20% fat.

I wouldn’t do anything with exercise though, as you’ll have plenty of variables enough with macronutrient ratios and feeding times. Heck, you might even just want to stick with one or the other of those.

Then, analyze their body composition by weight and water displacement. After the study, give them away to classmates or sell them as feeder mice. Have fun.