Suggestions for Post Workout Food?

[quote]BGB wrote:
Surge may be great but I’m not willing to spend my money on it, I just can’t right now. It seems as if you don’t buy Grow! or Surge on here you’re deemed worthless, that’s crap![/quote]

I specifically remember you asking what’s best, and that is why Surge keeps coming up. Surge is best. There are other alternatives that are good, but they are not best.

[quote]All I want is suggestions as to what I can eat after I workout that’s convenient to eat on the go that doesn’t have milk in it. I have a protein shake at 11am everyday with 46 grams of protein. I was having 1cup of Go Lean Crunch to have carbs post-workout (9am) but since it was pointed out to me that this was not a good choice I’m looking for other ideas.

If you don’t have any ideas for me then don’t post! But if you do… they are much appreciated :)[/quote]

That’s a valid question, but a different one from “what’s best?”

And I gave advice for that, too. Read some of the recent articles by David Barr, and get as much John Berardi as you can. They are a gold-mine of info. Believe or not, your question has been asked before, and these guys have lots of answers.

That’s fine if you think Surge is best. But I asked originally what is best OTHER than that?

For everybody to tell me Surge when I specially asked what to eat not including that is not helping me. Fine if Surge is the best… but I want to know what ELSE I can eat…

[quote]BGB wrote:
That’s fine if you think Surge is best. But I asked originally what is best OTHER than that?

For everybody to tell me Surge when I specially asked what to eat not including that is not helping me. Fine if Surge is the best… but I want to know what ELSE I can eat…[/quote]

Being a student, and living in England, I can’t afford Surge, Grow! or any of the other Biotest products, so I understand your position.

My PWO meal is (as a few have already pointed out) a water based drink made with whey protein powder and Lucozade (which is just like Gatorade). I use 30gr of protein, and as many carbs as I think I’ll need (30-60gr) depending on whether it’s leg day or not. I drink this at the gym, but you could have it after you’ve showered, on the way to work. (I really hope you shower after your workout.)

This is the simplest, cheapest, most convenient PWO meal, I believe.

But whatever you do, remember that you should probably be having a solid carb+protein meal about an hour after your PWO meal too.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Being a student, and living in England, I can’t afford Surge, Grow! or any of the other Biotest products, so I understand your position.

My PWO meal is (as a few have already pointed out) a water based drink made with whey protein powder and Lucozade (which is just like Gatorade). I use 30gr of protein, and as many carbs as I think I’ll need (30-60gr) depending on whether it’s leg day or not. I drink this at the gym, but you could have it after you’ve showered, on the way to work. (I really hope you shower after your workout.)

This is the simplest, cheapest, most convenient PWO meal, I believe.

But whatever you do, remember that you should probably be having a solid carb+protein meal about an hour after your PWO meal too.[/quote]

Lol yes I shower of course!
A gatorade type powder mixed with protein with water does sound like a good option! I’d just have to play around with the flavors :slight_smile:

Unfortunatly I can’t have a solid meal at work in my office but I do have something inbetween my PWO meal and lunch, usually a protein shake.

[quote]BGB wrote:

For everybody to tell me Surge when I specially asked what to eat not including that is not helping me. Fine if Surge is the best… but I want to know what ELSE I can eat…[/quote]

Fair enough. Don’t you know now? A lot of us have given our recommendations other than Surge.

Eat whatever you want, just make sure it has plenty of protein…

Chicken breast and a banana. That should cover all of the bases. You can even buy it in a grocery store.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Fair enough. Don’t you know now? A lot of us have given our recommendations other than Surge.[/quote]

Some have yes and that is appreciated. Don’t I know what now? I’m asking for suggestions, is there a limit? More/various suggestions are welcome…

Did you listen to the Double Tap with John Berardi, where he is asked this question and gives some answers?

Honestly, the Go Lean Crunch (or any cereal for that matter) is not a bad choice. A nice and high glycemic/insulin index could be combined with a fast acting protein powder and some milk that will serve you well.

I’m much in the same boat as you are - as a college student Surge just isn’t feasible. Like JB says, feed like the American Dietetics association immediately after working out - high carb and high protein with no fat - and you’re golden.