Suggestions For Eating Walnuts

Ok, if anyone out there has new ways to mix, or eat walnuts, I would love to hear them. I’m getting sick of eating them plain day in and day out around campus.

I’ll eat them even if I’m sick of them, but really, they’re too good of a food to have to choke down every time. I didn’t have this problem for a long time, seems it’s just the monotony finally getting to me. I’ve got room in my backpack for some tupperware, as long as I can mix things up a bit.

So, any ideas? Help would be appreciated…

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Ok, if anyone out there has new ways to mix, or eat walnuts, I would love to hear them. I’m getting sick of eating them plain day in and day out around campus.

I’ll eat them even if I’m sick of them, but really, they’re too good of a food to have to choke down every time. I didn’t have this problem for a long time, seems it’s just the monotony finally getting to me. I’ve got room in my backpack for some tupperware, as long as I can mix things up a bit.

So, any ideas? Help would be appreciated.[/quote]

I mix mine with some roasted almonds with sea salt

Walnuts are not the end all be all of nuts. Try some others.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Walnuts are not the end all be all of nuts. Try some others. [/quote]

I disagree. Although it is beneficial to eat a cornocopia of various things, walnuts are the only nuts(aside from soynuts) that have omega 3’s.

Walnuts - 1
Other nuts - 0

I put them in my shakes. Skim milk, chocolate whey protein, plain yogurt, walnuts, flax oil and maybe some natural peanut butter and a banana if I want more calories. Tastes great!

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

I disagree. Although it is beneficial to eat a cornocopia of various things, walnuts are the only nuts(aside from soynuts) that have omega 3’s.

Walnuts - 1
Other nuts - 0[/quote]

My nuts - infinitybillion

eengrms76 wrote:

Walnuts - 1
Other nuts - 0[/quote]

Wrong. You can get Omega 3’s in other nuts, as well as the following items:

Grains:
Flaxseed, flaxseed meal, oat germ, wheat germ

Nuts:
Walnuts, butternuts, brazil nuts, pine nuts

Oils:
Canola, Flax seed oil

Fish:
Salmon, anchovies, sardines, herring, tuna, white fish, halibut, bluefish, sweet and rainbow smelt

Vegetables:
Leeks, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, leafy greens

Plus about 1000 other things I didn’t list. The inclusion of Omega 3’s is not a good reason to only eat a certain thing day in and day out.

I add mine to oatmeal, or sprinkle them on salmon and tuna salad sandwiches. They’re also great with feta. If you’re not worried about cals or mixing F&C, eat them with some chocolate and dates or raisins. If you eat PB, sprinkle some on top.

Walnuts are awesome! Just make sure you soak them over night to neutralize the phytic acids, which if present will inhibit the absorption of minerals such as calcium, magnesium and zinc.

Phytic acids can also neutralize your body’s own digestive enzymes, the end result being gas and bloating.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

Wrong. You can get Omega 3’s in other nuts…

Nuts:
Walnuts, butternuts, brazil nuts, pine nuts
[/quote]

I guess you are right. I looked it up on the internet. “Other food sources of omega-3 fatty acids include walnuts, Brazil nuts, butternuts, chia seeds, hickory nuts, macadamia nuts,”

Chia seeds seems questionable though. I guess I need stock up on chia pet packets.

I add them to my oatmeal with some dried cranberries, frozen blueberries, and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Also a good mix of walnuts, almonds, raisins, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds with a little salt works well for me. Blend them into shakes or cook with them. They work well with poultry or fish.

I buy other nuts to balance things out and not develop an intolerance.

I guess you are right. I looked it up on the internet. “Other food sources of omega-3 fatty acids include walnuts, Brazil nuts, butternuts, chia seeds, hickory nuts, macadamia nuts,”

Chia seeds seems questionable though. I guess I need stock up on chia pet packets.[/quote]

Yeah I looked it up too. Where do you think I came up with that off the wall list?? :slight_smile:

Google is your friend…

Toast them in the oven either plain or with some spices. I also toss them on about anything…oatmeal, veggies, salads etc. BUT my favorite is warm right out of the oven.

Thanks a lot all. I tend to get in a rut from time to time, and need some fresh ideas. Yes, I know that walnuts are not the be all and end all, but I’m eating them for both the healthy fats and esp. the omega 3 content, and as far as nuts go (being highly portable and all), walnuts offer the most. I do eat other kinds of nuts as well. Pecans are still my favorite though.

AG1-

How long do you roast them for? At low temperature like pumpkin seeds?

Spray them with PAM, then sprinkle on some garlic salt.

I sprinkle a few onto the top of an ice-cream sundae and then pour Hershey’s chocolate syprup over them. It’s nice!

I make a walnut pesto out of them.

Garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
Basil
Lots of Walnuts
Parmesean Cheese
Salt
Pepper
Lemon juice

Process in food processor or blender

Slather over cold chicken breasts. Dip raw vegetables in it. Serve over hot cooked quinoa. Mixed into steamed vegetables. Serve over a baked potato with some lowfat mozzerella cheese (rebake until mozzerella cheese is melted). Spread onto whole wheat english muffins, top with chopped chicken breast and lowfat mozzerella; bake until cheese is melted (mini pesto pizzas). Most people eat it with pasta.

Bake walnuts in a single layer of a cookie sheet until extremely dark brown, almost black. Sprinkle over salads, your pesto pasta as a garnish, etc. for a smoky flavor. I sometimes sub these smoky walnuts for bacon bits in recipes. (Dunno if this ruins the oils but the flavor is good).

eengrms76 wrote:

Walnuts - 1
Other nuts - 0[/quote]

Conversion of walnut’s o3s to DHA and EPH - 0.

If the OP is eating walnuts for o3s, then he should take a couple of fish oil caps and eat other nuts. GREATER benefits without the monotony.