Suggestions for a Good Moisturizer?

[quote]ready wrote:
You’ve had some good suggestions so far so I’ll probably give the biotherm a try, but fuck this stuff can get expensive lol[/quote]

See if you can grab a sample from it from a department store before you buy the whole bottle. Usually they have a miniature version of everything

[quote]ready wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions for a good moisturizer for my face. I’m a guy with normal - to oily skin.

I know some moisturizers are probably worthless and some not worthless so can anyone explain whats in a moisturizer that makes it good (vitamim a, b, c, etc…)
[/quote]

All my girlfriends have had great complexions. For $25 an ounce, I’ll send you a fresh supply monthly. But you’ll have to clean up around my house and do laundry too.

[quote]ready wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions for a good moisturizer for my face. I’m a guy with normal - to oily skin.

I know some moisturizers are probably worthless and some not worthless so can anyone explain whats in a moisturizer that makes it good (vitamim a, b, c, etc…)
[/quote]

Labrador jizz. Makes my face baby’s ass smooth. Just make sure it’s BLACK lab. Got herpes from a yellow lab once. Once. That stupid bitch.

[quote]TD54 wrote:
I can’t believe people are responding with serious advice… What the hell is going on here[/quote]

None of my suggestions have made it past the moderators. I’ll try once more; if you’re reading this then I guess it made it.

I suggest the OP have his boyfriend blow his load on his face instead of his back for a good moisturizer. DieselAllDay told me this worked for him.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

I suggest the OP have his boyfriend blow his load on his face instead of his back for a good moisturizer. DieselAllDay told me this worked for him.[/quote]

Lol
<3

[quote]TD54 wrote:
I can’t believe people are responding with serious advice… What the hell is going on here[/quote]

You’re right, because what I really want (and what my girl really wants) is for me to have oily, acne ridden, puss covered, pimple infested, flaky, dry, cystic, leathery, blotchy, blemish filled, skin. Yep, taking care of yourself sure is pretty pussified isn’t it, when compared to all that. Just make sure it isn’t an obsession, and that you don’t take more time with it than your girl does.

For all of you bagging on the OP because he wants to take care of his skin, think about how fucking stupid you would look when you put in so much effort to get jacked and shredded, only to be undone by having shitty skin. I swear, how do some of you get out of bed in the morning?

[quote]ready wrote:
Has anyone tried Zirh moisturizer. I recently bought their pre shave oil, shaving cream, after shave lotion (Soothe), and face was (Clean) after a poster suggested a few things from them. And I really like each product especially Clean, but the poster also said their moisturizer was too heavy…but I’m really impressed by the other products so I’m debating whether to order the moisturizer.

So any second opinions on the Zirh???[/quote]

Yep. That’s what I use.
I had a minor rosacea problem on my cheeks 2 years ago and Zihr cleared it right up.
Either that or it could have been the tons of fish oil caps I take daily.

lol

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

You’re right, because what I really want (and what my girl really wants) is for me to have oily, acne ridden, puss covered, pimple infested, flaky, dry, cystic, leathery, blotchy, blemish filled, skin. Yep, taking care of yourself sure is pretty pussified isn’t it, when compared to all that. Just make sure it isn’t an obsession, and that you don’t take more time with it than your girl does.

For all of you bagging on the OP because he wants to take care of his skin, think about how fucking stupid you would look when you put in so much effort to get jacked and shredded, only to be undone by having shitty skin. I swear, how do some of you get out of bed in the morning?[/quote]

Totally agree!

Although a puss-covered face sounds heavenly!

LOL

(I think you meant pus, Max!)

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

For all of you bagging on the OP because he wants to take care of his skin, think about how fucking stupid you would look when you put in so much effort to get jacked and shredded, only to be undone by having shitty skin. I swear, how do some of you get out of bed in the morning?[/quote]

Agreed… People always think I’m younger then I am, baby face FTW!!! Now I could say, “hey I already look young” and not worry about my face and eventually my age will catch up to me. Or I can take advantage of my young looking face and continue to care for it and look like I’m 30 when I’m 40. There’s nothing wrong with guys not caring about their looks, but just don’t B**** when your wife is banging the pool boy and not you when you get older. Sure some men actually look good with the rugged weathered looking face, but those guys are few and far between. Most older men just look… old!

I don’t want my girl letting her face go to shit, so why would I do that to her by not bothering to take care of mine? Thats my logic anyways.

OP, there’s a beautiful aloe vera gel product out there - I take it you’re in America?
The brand is Fruit of the Earth - 100% aloe gel - and they make sunscreen too.

For great skin, use sunscreen or a good sunblock. And for normal to oily skin, aloe vera gel is the most refreshing thing, great for oily skin. But seriously, there are lots of good products out there. Go to a department store, get some samples of moisturiser - most companies give them out - then pick one and go with it. You need to have something that suits you and your skin, and that feels good and not sticky or greasy on your skin. You might even prefer a matifying moisturiser.

Most of them come with sunscreen in them these days. We all have our preferences, and I myself like/use several products. Always read the ingredients though :slight_smile: If you like plant-based products, check out the health food stores, Trader Joe’s I believe has some really nice stuff.
Try the products for females as well as those for males. If you find one you like but don’t like the packaging, you could always decant the product into a plain plastic squeeze bottle or tube. The reason i say this is that male products tend to be a bit heavier than the female lines but again you could dilute it with plain witch hazel or plain aloe vera gel.

Actually, if you buy some plain aloe vera gel and use plain witch hazel as toner/after shave, that will be a fresh-smelling, inexpensive skin care regime that is very good for noprmal/oilyish skin. Add sunscreen or block and you’re done! :slight_smile:

If you are new to the whole cosmetic scene, as it were, Paula Begoun has a book called Don’t Go to the Cosmetic Counter Without Me. (also is online). She reviews as many cosmetic products as she can, and often updates her product reviews online. She has her own product line too but her reviews are straight.

Good luck :slight_smile:

[quote]ready wrote:

[/quote]

You’re basically saying why the hell should you put this stuff on. Well, a lot of beauty consultants will say that it’s to lock in moisture or whatever, and stop environmental hazards like free radicals damaging your skin, which is true to a certain extent. Mainly it’s getting into the whole skin care routine of clean and protect your skin, the minimum of which is wearing sunscreen/block and keeping your skin hydrated.

having said that, there are lots of creams and lotions with active ingredients that revitalise the skin, act below the dermis,help with wrinkles etc if you use the REGULARLY, like every single day. A lot fo French and Japanese products in particular are known for this, although most product lines have various functions attached to them. the best moisturiser though, really, is having lots of food with water in it eg things like fresh vegetable juices, soups etc.

Protein is great for skin, but too much without vegies or water can dehydrate it, so most people use moisturisers to keep their skin a bit flexible and hydrated. And it is nice to put on, especially a nice silky one as a protective layer. Re the witamins, a lot of eco and organic moisturisers come stuffed to the gills with various vitamins and minerals. Read the packet, it will tell you the contents.

That’s why i recommended the aloe vera, because as well as adding hydration to the skin - your skin really drinks it up on a hot day! - it is anti inflammatory, as is the witch hazel toner.
And you can reapply any time.

incidentally, if you have sore muscles or elbows, pure witch hazel is fabulous. Soak a rag or two in it, and wrap it around the affected part or limb quite tightly and leave it there as long as you can. Inlfammation will reduce considerably. Keep applying it till you don’t hurt any more! i used this on a swollen elbow recently and it worked well. Also used it on my mum’s legs once when she had a bad fall./ From not being able to walk (very bad bruising) to having the pain vanish was about two hours. Really soak the rag in the witch hazel, you have to be able to absorb it into the skin.

There we go, an extra tip! :slight_smile:

Gold Bond Medicated Foot Cream

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

hey Maximus, you sound like you’d like to go the extra mile re skin care. If you’re interested, look up the books of Dr Nicholas Perricone. His books on skin care revolutionised the cosmetic world a few years ago, and continue to do so. he actually started his career a s agerontologist, would you believe.

His recommnedations jibe well with tmuscle stuff, basically coming down to eating fresh salmon, blueberries, green salads etc and topical applications of his invention, in the DHAE (I think) and alpha lipoic acid area. Oh, and Vitamin C ester,fat-soluble is better than ascorbic acid topically, that sort of thing. His main point is that wrinkles and puffy skin etc come from inflammation of the cells, mainly caused by sugar, so he recommends eliminating it from your diet.
Anyway, it’s all very logical exercise- and diet-based stuff, and he writes about the scientific base for his formulas and recommendations. the books are very interesting, well worth a read, and there’s no crazy stuff or starvation diet rubbish.
Can’t remember the titles off hand, but google his name and his website and books should come up.

I hope I haven’t taken the thread off topic?

Olive Oil, damn it

[quote]'nuffsaid wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

hey Maximus, you sound like you’d like to go the extra mile re skin care. If you’re interested, look up the books of Dr Nicholas Perricone. His books on skin care revolutionised the cosmetic world a few years ago, and continue to do so. he actually started his career a s agerontologist, would you believe.

His recommnedations jibe well with tmuscle stuff, basically coming down to eating fresh salmon, blueberries, green salads etc and topical applications of his invention, in the DHAE (I think) and alpha lipoic acid area. Oh, and Vitamin C ester,fat-soluble is better than ascorbic acid topically, that sort of thing. His main point is that wrinkles and puffy skin etc come from inflammation of the cells, mainly caused by sugar, so he recommends eliminating it from your diet.
Anyway, it’s all very logical exercise- and diet-based stuff, and he writes about the scientific base for his formulas and recommendations. the books are very interesting, well worth a read, and there’s no crazy stuff or starvation diet rubbish.
Can’t remember the titles off hand, but google his name and his website and books should come up.

I hope I haven’t taken the thread off topic?[/quote]

Here is the thing…

If your nutrition is good, and I mean in standards of bodybuilding, fitness, and athleticism (not the media shit storm ), you will most likely have good looking skin to begin with, barring a skin condition which should cause you to go see a derm.

I have heard of Perricone, and he pushes for eating more fruits, veggies, salmon (and more Omega-3 in general), nuts, lean protein, and getting exercise for good skin. Does this sound familiar in terms of health and fitness in general? If this is the foundation of your nutrition, I would say you’re off to a good start.

Just a side note, I would HIGHLY recommend using a double edged safety razor or straight razor to shave with, and here is why…

In 2005, I was hospitalized for 3 months following peritonitis, I had an IV inserted into my neck, which left a pretty ugly looking scar. Normally I would not give a shit, since I have scarred almost everywhere by now. But this bugged me because it was directly on my face. Taking a suggestion of one of my dad’s friends, who is very old school, I used a double edged safety razor. Because it shaves SO much closer than the Mach 3 or any other razor, it has literally shaved off more and more skin, making the scar practically invisible. Also, I get ingrown hairs like a mother fucker because I have curly hair, but with the safety razor I rarely get them now. I got mine on Ebay with 10 Solinger blades for cheap, just something to consider.

[quote]'nuffsaid wrote:
OP, there’s a beautiful aloe vera gel product out there - I take it you’re in America?
The brand is Fruit of the Earth - 100% aloe gel - and they make sunscreen too.

For great skin, use sunscreen or a good sunblock. And for normal to oily skin, aloe vera gel is the most refreshing thing, great for oily skin. But seriously, there are lots of good products out there. Go to a department store, get some samples of moisturiser - most companies give them out - then pick one and go with it. You need to have something that suits you and your skin, and that feels good and not sticky or greasy on your skin. You might even prefer a matifying moisturiser.

Most of them come with sunscreen in them these days. We all have our preferences, and I myself like/use several products. Always read the ingredients though :slight_smile: If you like plant-based products, check out the health food stores, Trader Joe’s I believe has some really nice stuff.
Try the products for females as well as those for males. If you find one you like but don’t like the packaging, you could always decant the product into a plain plastic squeeze bottle or tube. The reason i say this is that male products tend to be a bit heavier than the female lines but again you could dilute it with plain witch hazel or plain aloe vera gel.

Actually, if you buy some plain aloe vera gel and use plain witch hazel as toner/after shave, that will be a fresh-smelling, inexpensive skin care regime that is very good for noprmal/oilyish skin. Add sunscreen or block and you’re done! :slight_smile:

If you are new to the whole cosmetic scene, as it were, Paula Begoun has a book called Don’t Go to the Cosmetic Counter Without Me. (also is online). She reviews as many cosmetic products as she can, and often updates her product reviews online. She has her own product line too but her reviews are straight.

Good luck :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Could you use Aloe Vera as a shave gel? Most shave gels irritate my skin, Aloe Vera seems like it could be a great product for shaving. Thoughts?

There is a specific ingredient in white tea which inhibits/promotes collagenase (forget which), which can help prevent facial wrinkles

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]'nuffsaid wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

I hope I haven’t taken the thread off topic?[/quote]

Here is the thing…

If your nutrition is good, and I mean in standards of bodybuilding, fitness, and athleticism (not the media shit storm ), you will most likely have good looking skin to begin with, barring a skin condition which should cause you to go see a derm.

I have heard of Perricone, and he pushes for eating more fruits, veggies, salmon (and more Omega-3 in general), nuts, lean protein, and getting exercise for good skin. Does this sound familiar in terms of health and fitness in general? If this is the foundation of your nutrition, I would say you’re off to a good start.

Just a side note, I would HIGHLY recommend using a double edged safety razor or straight razor to shave with, and here is why…

In 2005, I was hospitalized for 3 months following peritonitis, I had an IV inserted into my neck, which left a pretty ugly looking scar. Normally I would not give a shit, since I have scarred almost everywhere by now. But this bugged me because it was directly on my face. Taking a suggestion of one of my dad’s friends, who is very old school, I used a double edged safety razor. Because it shaves SO much closer than the Mach 3 or any other razor, it has literally shaved off more and more skin, making the scar practically invisible. Also, I get ingrown hairs like a mother fucker because I have curly hair, but with the safety razor I rarely get them now. I got mine on Ebay with 10 Solinger blades for cheap, just something to consider. [/quote]

You’re able to shave you’re neck with a safety razor?? I’ve never actually tried a safety razor, I’ve tried straight edges though, and attempting to shave the neck with a straight edge is a bad idea. I figured a safety razor would have similar results. Do you have any issues using safety razors on your neck?

Vitamin E gel works better than anything else I’ve used. Super cheap too. Not as nice feeling when you’re applying it compared to the expensive creams but way nicer after. I think a lot of the moisturizers out there focus on scent and how it feels being applied to sell more rather than being a good moisturizer, so they add alcohol and stuff. Aloe Vera gel is probably similar. My friend who’s in her late 40’s and has beautiful skin uses a mix of glycerin and aloe, again similar to the vitamin e gel, I believe.

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

Agreed… People always think I’m younger then I am, baby face FTW!!! Now I could say, “hey I already look young” and not worry about my face and eventually my age will catch up to me. Or I can take advantage of my young looking face and continue to care for it and look like I’m 30 when I’m 40. There’s nothing wrong with guys not caring about their looks, but just don’t B**** when your wife is banging the pool boy and not you when you get older. Sure some men actually look good with the rugged weathered looking face, but those guys are few and far between. Most older men just look… old!

I don’t want my girl letting her face go to shit, so why would I do that to her by not bothering to take care of mine? Thats my logic anyways.[/quote]

No, people always assume you are young because when you go for a job and they ask for your working papers and you can’t produce, they assume it’s because you are under 16. When in reality it’s because your an illegal mexican lawn mower.

V