T Nation

Suggestions Anyone?

I have been eating clean and lifting doing the 5x5 stronglifts for 7 weeks now. I can tell I have been losing weight, shamefully I am 425lbs and doing this to get stronger, lose weight and healthier. I am 39 and feeling better as of my changes. I am looking for any advice from those of you been doing this for a long time or just started too. Should I be taking any supplements to help me? Any accessory exercises people think would be beneficial? Thanks for your help

Man, I’ve never been in the same position as you but I have been lifting for a minute and have made my own personal growths and changes over many years. To some it may not seem like a lot, but I have came a tremendous way from where I started.

The best advice I could give you, and anyone else, regardless of the goal at hand-- that is to make gradual and slow changes to your lifestyle. Nothing should be a chore. Every little thing should have a purpose and it should be something you want to do. Even when it means making sacrifices elsewhere in your life, it won’t bother you because you want it to be that way. It won’t take the massive mental effort people portray it as, because you’ll have so much passion for the goal or the purpose that it just won’t matter.

Whatever your goal, I believe in having a mindset that you wake up with everyday and you don’t feel like you need to explain it to anybody–because it is you and again, you want it to be that way. I would never have anyone look at my lifestyle, my lifting, my eating, or my habits and then tell them “this is how you have to do it.” Because, the way I am now is a large product of many, many small changes I have made a long the way. It has all added up. I would suggest the same to you, or anyone else. Small changes over time, be persistent and effortlessly want whatever it is.

To specifically answer your questions…

Supplements are not necessary at all. It is all about your diet, and eating to meet your goals.

When it comes to exercises, nothing beats squats, deadlifts, rows, dips, pull-ups, overhead pressing, sprinting. I assume you’re doing them with the 5x5.

I think it’s important to stick to the basics and make them habits. I recommend “weight loss happens on Mondays” as a great book on how to make lasting lifestyle changes.

Just to clarify, the basics are:
eat less
eat better
move more - Lifting is great, but at 400+ lbs, you need to be moving every day, probably many times a day.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
you need to be moving every day, probably many times a day.[/quote]

Along these lines, it’d be great to find an activity that you enjoy doing to fill in the gaps. Whether that’s biking, swimming, long walks on the beach; you get the picture.

Don’t stop. Keep going. Keep your eye on the prize.

After SL, go to Madcow. Keep having fun.

[quote]Evolv wrote:
Man, I’ve never been in the same position as you but I have been lifting for a minute and have made my own personal growths and changes over many years. To some it may not seem like a lot, but I have came a tremendous way from where I started.

The best advice I could give you, and anyone else, regardless of the goal at hand-- that is to make gradual and slow changes to your lifestyle. Nothing should be a chore. Every little thing should have a purpose and it should be something you want to do. Even when it means making sacrifices elsewhere in your life, it won’t bother you because you want it to be that way. It won’t take the massive mental effort people portray it as, because you’ll have so much passion for the goal or the purpose that it just won’t matter.

Whatever your goal, I believe in having a mindset that you wake up with everyday and you don’t feel like you need to explain it to anybody–because it is you and again, you want it to be that way. I would never have anyone look at my lifestyle, my lifting, my eating, or my habits and then tell them “this is how you have to do it.” Because, the way I am now is a large product of many, many small changes I have made a long the way. It has all added up. I would suggest the same to you, or anyone else. Small changes over time, be persistent and effortlessly want whatever it is.

To specifically answer your questions…

Supplements are not necessary at all. It is all about your diet, and eating to meet your goals.

When it comes to exercises, nothing beats squats, deadlifts, rows, dips, pull-ups, overhead pressing, sprinting. I assume you’re doing them with the 5x5.[/quote]

Well said, just focus on the process a day at a time and it will pay off.

Everything everyone said. Be patient, be consistent. You’ll get there.

Good for heavy guys…

I am doing all those with the 5x5 and I am pulling the sled and flipping the tractor tire out back for cardio besides the 5x5. thanks for your input. I have been making the changes gradually and noticed a difference. I will eat a cheat meal once maybe twice a week to help avoid craving and then binging, but when I eat the junk now, I hate how it makes me feel physically and helps me not want it

Thought of this vid when I read yer question.