Suggestion: General Fitness Forum?

I mean this with only the most positive of intentions and good will toward T-Nation. Also, this has to have been brought up somewhere either here or in a meeting at some time.

What does everybody think of a “General Fitness” forum?

This would give the “other guys” somewhere to congregate away from the Bodybuilding forum where it would be understood up front that they don’t wanna be huge. They would be safe from ridicule and we could have the Bodybuilding forum free from the less ambitious amongst us.

Actually it’s clear that the people for whom physique pursuits form a significant part of their daily decision making are now the “other guys”, but the Bodybuilding forum is already there.

I’m trying to propose a way that we can all coexist in a more harmonious fashion. I fear that if that does not happen the T-Nation forums will be exclusively populated by guys with less than 50 posts who want nothing more than tips on getting in better shape.

These are not sub human beings who should be shot at dawn, but they are diluting the Bodybuilding forum to the point of making the name laughable and are driving anybody with even above average goals elsewhere.

This obviously is not my site and you can tell me to ph**K off if you want to, but I thought it was worth suggesting. The “just look good nekkid” guys are not going away and, nor should they necessarily, but doesn’t it make some sense to find somewhere more practical and comfortable to house them?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I mean this with only the most positive of intentions and good will toward T-Nation. Also this has to have been brought up somewhere either here or in a meeting at some time.

What does everybody think of a “General Fitness” forum?

This would give the “other guys” somewhere to congregate away from the Bodybuilding forum where it would be understood up front that they don’t wanna be huge. They would be safe from ridicule and we could have the Bodybuilding forum free from the less ambitious amongst us.

Actually it’s clear that the people for whom physique pursuits form a significant part of their daily decision making are now the “other guys”, but the Bodybuilding forum is already there.

I’m trying to propose a way that we can all coexist in a more harmonious fashion. I fear that if that does not happen the T-Nation forums will be exclusively populated by guys with less than 50 posts who want nothing more than tips on getting in better shape. These are not sub human beings who should be shot at dawn, but they are diluting the Bodybuilding forum to the point of making the name laughable and are driving anybody with even above average goals elsewhere.

This obviously is not my site and you can tell me to ph**K off if you want to, but I thought it was worth suggesting. The “just look good nekkid” guys are not going away and, nor should they necessarily, but doesn’t it make some sense to find somewhere more practical and comfortable to house them?[/quote]

Not a bad idea.

good idea, should help cut down some of the flaming.

While I think its a good idea on paper, I think many of the people who are new and dont really know the overall attitude of the site might think their goals still count as bodybuilding, while the answers they’re going to get are going to begin with “squats” and end in “milk.”

I guess its worth a shot.

Maybe the general fitness link will be to the MH forums?

I understand where you’re coming from… but I think this site doesn’t really lend itself well to the “general fitness” crowd. Whatever that may mean.

T-Nation is geared toward (in my opinion) the more hardcore among us. Those with goals that are considered somewhat extreme by most standards, who have politically incorrect opinions that may not mesh well with polite company, and who have thick enough skin to cope with others being in direct disagreement with said opinions.

I kind of like the fact that there are very few members here who act “ass-hurt” when someone disagrees with them.

My experience with the “general fitness” crowd does not support the idea that this site would be an attractive destination for that demographic.

That said, this is a commercial site that acts as a gateway to Biotest supplements and products. From the perspective that the “fitness” crowd would represent a larger market share, it may be beneficial (commercially) to be more inclusive.

[quote]nordikelt wrote:
I understand where you’re coming from… but I think this site doesn’t really lend itself well to the “general fitness” crowd. Whatever that may mean.

T-Nation is geared toward (in my opinion) the more hardcore among us. Those with goals that are considered somewhat extreme by most standards, who have politically incorrect opinions that may not mesh well with polite company, and who have thick enough skin to cope with others being in direct disagreement with said opinions. I kind of like the fact that there are very few members here who act “ass-hurt” when someone disagrees with them.

My experience with the “general fitness” crowd does not support the idea that this site would be an attractive destination for that demographic.

That said, this is a commercial site that acts as a gateway to Biotest supplements and products. From the perspective that the “fitness” crowd would represent a larger market share, it may be beneficial (commercially) to be more inclusive.[/quote]

You can’t be looking at the same forums I am.

EDIT: Or if you are your frame of reference diverges drastically from mine

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
nordikelt wrote:

T-Nation is geared toward (in my opinion) the more hardcore among us. Those with goals that are considered somewhat extreme by most standards, who have politically incorrect opinions that may not mesh well with polite company, and who have thick enough skin to cope with others being in direct disagreement with said opinions. I kind of like the fact that there are very few members here who act “ass-hurt” when someone disagrees with them.

That said, this is a commercial site that acts as a gateway to Biotest supplements and products. From the perspective that the “fitness” crowd would represent a larger market share, it may be beneficial (commercially) to be more inclusive.

[/quote]

Agreed.

I like the idea, kind of along the lines of making a “logs” section or subsection.

I don’t like the way that logs appear in the bodybuilding section.

[quote]nordikelt wrote:

That said, this is a commercial site that acts as a gateway to Biotest supplements and products. From the perspective that the “fitness” crowd would represent a larger market share, it may be beneficial (commercially) to be more inclusive.[/quote]

Wanting a six pack and 16" arms while benching 225 is NOT a somewhat extreme goal by most standards. Hell it’s a common goal I see all the god damn time here (which I’m ashamed to see that).

Also, that’s a good laugh saying “hardcore” people go here. 98% of the bodybuilding “hardcore” have left this site. They’re probably sittin’ in the gym reading Muscular Developement after their workout.

…Which sounds like a good idea.

Let’s name it “Ah… Mediocre”

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
<<< Wanting a six pack and 16" arms while benching 225 is NOT a somewhat extreme goal by most standards. Hell it’s a common goal I see all the god damn time here (which I’m ashamed to see that).

Also, that’s a good laugh saying “hardcore” people go here. 98% of the bodybuilding “hardcore” have left this site. They’re probably sittin’ in the gym reading Muscular Developement after their workout.

…Which sounds like a good idea.[/quote]

The bodybuilding forum has largely become shape n tone central. Not a jab, but an unavoidable observation. I’m just thinking out loud about a possible way to help this site, or I should say the forums, be more conducive to more serious people and avoid having the rest leave as well. I really want to see this place thrive as much as possible. Having a separate area for people with no interest in serious development seems at least to be a possibility from the perspective of someone not in a decision making capacity.

I’m operating under the assumption that the honchos are interested in having more committed people around. I don’t want this to become a T-Nation bashing festival. I really am trying to be constructive. I’m not sure why it matters to me. I have nothing to gain or lose based on the future of this or any other site, but I don’t want the forums here to wind up being a giant sandbox. We need some vets here in my opinion.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Having a separate area for people with no interest in serious development seems at least to be a possibility from the perspective of someone not in a decision making capacity.[/quote]

Agreed.

No, I don’t think it’d make a difference. It’s mostly newbies or the one-time poster that make the ridiculous posts in the bodybuilding forum. When people do make posts that aren’t ridiculous but whose goals aren’t in mesh with most on this site, they are usually aware of this and just don’t care.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
Let’s name it “Ah… Mediocre”[/quote]

That’s not the point, at least of this thread. They’re here to stay and part of me doesn’t even see that as intolerable if they have somewhere to congregate outside of the bodybuilding forum. I’m not making any demands and not looking to criticize. I just think if the lifers could have their forum back the site as a whole would be a better place. It would be understood that in the “General Fitness” forum making sport of the “mediocre” is off limits. All sport making would have to be reserved for the bodybuilding forum =] I see some interesting possibilities here.

Think of the rivalry. Hell they could even name it “Just Look Good Nekkid”, seriously. We wouldn’t be allowed to go in there and point out how weenie-fied their goals are and they wouldn’t be allowed to go in the Bodybuilding forum reminding us how huge they don’t wanna be. It’s a win win. I mean it.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
Having a separate area for people with no interest in serious development seems at least to be a possibility from the perspective of someone not in a decision making capacity.

Agreed.[/quote]

I think a general fitness and conditioning forum would be a good solution. I wonder if the T-Nation gods will agree.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
Let’s name it “Ah… Mediocre”[/quote]

Other suggestions:
“I actually trained today”

“For those who hate to sweat”

“Pre-Spring Break forum” (also known as “New Year’s resolution forum” and “I’ll see y’all next year forum”)

“Ew, icky muscles Forum”

and my personal favorite, “I’ve got 15” arms, how do I lose some of this extra mass so that I stop scaring all of the girls away forum"

[quote]Professor X wrote:
meangenes wrote:
Let’s name it “Ah… Mediocre”

Other suggestions:
“I actually trained today”

“For those who hate to sweat”

“Pre-Spring Break forum” (also known as “New Year’s resolution forum” and “I’ll see y’all next year forum”)

“Ew, icky muscles Forum”

and my personal favorite, “I’ve got 15” arms, how do I lose some of this extra mass so that I stop scaring all of the girls away forum"[/quote]

My point is these people are here and there’s more all the time. Don’t you think a place where they can gather and have themselves in common is better than having them in the bodybuilding forum. We may as well forget about the past. Those days are gone. I’m trying to facilitate discussion of a more socially efficient way for more people to be here. You know I’m on your side, or at least you should, but if not this then what?

Am I reading you wrong in thinking you don’t like this idea? Yours is one of the opinions I’d be most interested in hearing, not to take away from anybody else.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

EDIT: Or if you are your frame of reference diverges drastically from mine[/quote]

Ok… let me clarify a bit.

My point was that the serious pursuit of body building, strength sports, fitness and shape competition, etc are outside what is socially mainstream. And therefor, extreme. The social norm from my perspective is a lot of couch-sitting, twinkie-eating, Oprah-watching, sheepish, sorry asses. From that point of view, anything I consider to be remotely active is extreme.

And, while there are those here who take offense at every counter-opinion, they tend to not be as prevalent as on other forums, in my experience.

Or… maybe I’m simply projecting what I’d like this site to be.

YMMV