Suggested Supps/Nutrition for PL Meet?

Hi Christian,

I have the Scottish Unequipped Powerlifting Championships this coming Sunday, the 21st of February. I sit just nicely under my 100kg cut off weight and was wondering what approach you would suggest I use with both supplements and solid food the day prior to and day of the meet.

It can be a long day, with disciplines being spread over a period of 4-6 hours and by the time it comes to the Deadlift I am often running out of steam. I have Anaconda, Mag-10, Surge Recovery, Surge Workout Fuel, FINiBARs, Alpha-GPC and whatever food needed at my disposal. Any loading advice etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Christian,

Apologies if my post is too vague, my question too open ended or the information I am looking for is already posted elsewhere on the site.

I am not looking for anything precise, more just ideas on the best way to utilize the products I have at my disposal. I weigh in at 9.30am and lifting commences at 11am. I’ll probably be squatting between 11am and 12pm so was thinking:

Alpha-GPC: 2 Servings 10am
2 Scoops of Surge Workout Fuel 10.30am
3 FINiBAR there after
ANACONDA/MAG-10 throughout the Warm up and 3 x competition Squats

Not entirely sure on timings as I probably wont bench until somewhere between an hour to 1.5 hours after and Squatting dependant on how the competitor flights are organised and then will have the same delay prior to deadlifting in the mid to late afternoon. The standard protocol surely wont cut it here?

Should I be using the Alpha-GPC prior to each discipline if there is such a gap? Similarily, should I chew on FINiBARs and sup Surge Workout Fuel rather than use ANACONDA/MAG-10 to keep me fuelled throughout the day. I never really have an appetite at a meet as nerves and adrenaline get the better out of me.

Most of my eating/carb loading is done the day before. I am not certain of the best way to maximise this either, figuring I can probably put the supplements to better use than I have previously.

Like I said, any advice or info regading the above you can throw my way would be much appreciated. Its my first comp in 2 years so the more I can do to shake the rust off on he day, the better.

If you need any more info etc. I am more than happy to give it.

Thanks.

[quote]Extremist wrote:
Hi Christian,

Apologies if my post is too vague, my question too open ended or the information I am looking for is already posted elsewhere on the site.

I am not looking for anything precise, more just ideas on the best way to utilize the products I have at my disposal. I weigh in at 9.30am and lifting commences at 11am. I’ll probably be squatting between 11am and 12pm so was thinking:

Alpha-GPC: 2 Servings 10am
2 Scoops of Surge Workout Fuel 10.30am
3 FINiBAR there after

Not entirely sure on timings as I probably wont bench until somewhere between an hour to 1.5 hours after and Squatting dependant on how the competitor flights are organised and then will have the same delay prior to deadlifting in the mid to late afternoon. The standard protocol surely wont cut it here?

Should I be using the Alpha-GPC prior to each discipline if there is such a gap? Similarily, should I chew on FINiBARs and sup Surge Workout Fuel rather than use ANACONDA/MAG-10 to keep me fuelled throughout the day. I never really have an appetite at a meet as nerves and adrenaline get the better out of me.

Most of my eating/carb loading is done the day before. I am not certain of the best way to maximise this either, figuring I can probably put the supplements to better use than I have previously.

Like I said, any advice or info regading the above you can throw my way would be much appreciated. Its my first comp in 2 years so the more I can do to shake the rust off on he day, the better.

If you need any more info etc. I am more than happy to give it.

Thanks. [/quote]

Getting nutrients through liquid and supplements is definitely the way to go. I, of course, am not CT, but I can make some suggestions.

Since you said you run out of steam prior to deadlifts, I would save those three FINiBARS to 30-45 minutes prior to when you think you will perform deadlifts. Keep the Alpha-GPC and Workout Fuel at the times you listed above. You can therefore use the MAG-10 and ANACONDA to keep yourself loaded up in between. The nutrients you receive from these two supps will definitely keep you recovered and feeling ready for more while at the same time, you won’t feel as if you are feeding an appetite (as you pointed out). This way, your adrenaline will keep rolling with the added benefit of more stabilized nerves.

To recap these suggestions, consider the following:

10AM: Two Servings Alpha-GPC
10:30AM: Two Scoops of Surge Workout Fuel

After squats, use more Workout Fuel (One or Two Scoops) as necessary along with some MAG-10 and ANACONDA.

30-45 minutes prior to Deadlifts: Three FINiBARS followed by MAG-10 and ANACONDA during/in between warm-up/competition reps

Hope this helps!

Hi Eric,

Many thanks for the input. I think your definately right regarding the FINiBARs. Dependant on how I feel tomorrow, I may well take 2 prior to squatting and 2 prior to the deadlift. Sticking to MAG-10/Anaconda throughout the day as you suggested seems the way to go.

I have been carb/nutrient loading all day today so should have plenty fuel in the tank tomorrow, especially if I take in a solid breakfast early doors.

Thanks again. It is always great to have a second opinion to put the mind at rest.