T Nation

Suggested Carb Cycling With 5/3/1

CT,

What guideline for carb cycling would you recommend when using Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program 4x/week as well as 3 conditioning days? My conditioning days could consist of either the prowler, sprints, HIIT, or long distance (3-5 miles), or a combination.

I was thinking:

Mon - Military Press & Conditioning: Moderate
Tuesday - Deadlift: High
Wednesday - Conditioning low
Thursday - Bench: Moderate
Friday - Squat: Moderate
Saturday: Conditioning: Low
Sunday: Off: High/Cheat Day/Low Protein Day

Thanks.

[quote]S
Wednesday - Conditioning low
[/quote]

That’s exactly how I would put it.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]S
Wednesday - Conditioning: low
[/quote]

That’s exactly how I would put it.[/quote]

Thanks, CT.

Also, just to be sure low days are virtually no carbs except for greens, correct? Or only the carbs I take peri workout (conditioning days in my case)?

And this is probably based on the individual and where he is at himself, but is that cheat day/low protein an all out cheat day or should it be limited to just one cheat meal?

[quote]S C 0 0 Z E wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]S
Wednesday - Conditioning: low
[/quote]

That’s exactly how I would put it.[/quote]

Thanks, CT.

Also, just to be sure low days are virtually no carbs except for greens, correct? Or only the carbs I take peri workout (conditioning days in my case)?

And this is probably based on the individual and where he is at himself, but is that cheat day/low protein an all out cheat day or should it be limited to just one cheat meal?

[/quote]

Low carbs is only green veggies. I would actually have no carbs at all since you are only doing conditioning work.

For the low protein day. If you are below 10% you can basically have whatever you want during the day (stay reasonable though) and if you are above 10% stick to one cheat meal and the other meals are clean carbs.

Thanks again, CT.

One LAST question and I will leave you alone. Without changing the schedule is there anyway I could put the cheat day/low protein day on Saturday? Typically Saturday is that day I would be out with my friends and more prone to “cheat” meals.

Could i simply make Saturday a high/cheat day and Sunday a low day?