Sugestions for Bulking w/ High Fat Intake

i am 175lb 16%bf 5’9.
i noticed i am eating a lot of fat.
if a day is such: chili homemade (900) + cheese (200), breakfast shake (900), eggs + cheese (700), cottage cheese (200) i already have 2900 calories. i throw in fish oil (200) or olive oil with the cottage cheese (100) and add some chicken breast (300) i’m at 3500 calories.

however, the macro breakdown is such-
fat-208g (54%)
carb-183g (19%)
pro-218g (26%)

should i change what i eat to change the macros? 218g protein sounds a tad low. would 1.5x bw be better (250+)?

thanks

i would up the protein to 1.5x BW, yes.

aside form that, as long as you are getting in enough calories to meet your goals and they aren’t from a lot of sugar, the fat/carb ratio probably won’t be a big issue.

personally, i aim to get about 1.5x protein and about 20% of my calories from fat. the rest of my daily calories are obviously from carbs.

edit: you would probably get more responses if this was in the S&N forum btw.

This may sound counter-intuitive but definitely add some cardio 1-2x/week. That will really make the lowered carbs worth it.

[quote]Majin wrote:
This may sound counter-intuitive but definitely add some cardio 1-2x/week. That will really make the lowered carbs worth it.[/quote]

Care to elaborate? kinda confused here. I actually will up my carbs on lifting days, adding in a potato or two.

i get a lot of sugar from fruit/juice in the morning shake. i think that’s fine though. totals about 100+carb with more than half from oat.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
i am 175lb 16%bf 5’9.
i noticed i am eating a lot of fat.
if a day is such: chili homemade (900) + cheese (200), breakfast shake (900), eggs + cheese (700), cottage cheese (200) i already have 2900 calories. i throw in fish oil (200) or olive oil with the cottage cheese (100) and add some chicken breast (300) i’m at 3500 calories.

however, the macro breakdown is such-
fat-208g (54%)
carb-183g (19%)
pro-218g (26%)

should i change what i eat to change the macros? 218g protein sounds a tad low. would 1.5x bw be better (250+)?

thanks[/quote]

i recommend that your protein be higher than 30% or at least close. If you are going to change something i recommend raising the protein and lowering the fat a tad, say as low as 180g and protein as high as 300g.

the matter of the fact is you are already pretty bulked at 16% bodyfat. There i like the low “carbish” bulk. I think another important question is how often are you cheating?

quite rarely do i cheat. it’s tough to get 300g protein since i’m eating a lot of ground beef, and 2lbs of it only nets 140g protein and 2lb is a lot to eat through :stuck_out_tongue:

grape juice and cheese are the closest i get to cheating. i just never do cardio.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
Care to elaborate?[/quote]

Going low carb and getting some cardio really kicks the fat and leaves the muscles. As long as you eat enough, of course. Only going low carb alone, without serious conditioning work, won’t produce as dramatic of an effect. Just my personal observation.

thanks i will try it. i thought it would slow my progress down. cardio length/intensity?
i was thinking 15-30mins depending on intensity (hiit) would be good.