T Nation

Sugars with P+F Meals?

Hey everyone,
I just have a general question regarding carb intake in P+F meals. I know you are typically supposed to stay under 10 total grams of carbs in a P+F meal, but does that apply to just complex carbs or any combination of complex carbs and sugars? For example, if I'm in a rush and toss a tablespoon or two of flax oil into a shake that totals 8 grams of carbs with about 2-6 grams of sugar (these are just various numbers based on the wide amount of protein powders that are currently in my house), will this lead to a high insulin response and totally negate the point of the meal? Just something I was wondering about!

I wouldn't worry about it.

My understanding was that one should stay away from sugar intake with a P+F meal, and any meal unless it's right after your workout. High fructose corn syrup is especially bad because it actually slows down your metabolism. That's why I try to stay away from cereals and ketchup. I bought Precision Nutrition awhile back and John Berardi gives a few recipes that substitute splenda for sugar. I've also read a couple articles of his on www.johnberardi.com in which sugar is negatively looked at. My advice would be to simply use splenda if you want a sweet flavor in your P+F meal. On a personal note, I am not a fan of the taste of splenda but a lot of people do like it. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Il Don

See this thread on much the same topic. About them being GUIDELINES etc.

Its OK to do what you are. More catabolic and physique killing to stress about it IMO