Sugars with P+F Meals?

Hey everyone,
I just have a general question regarding carb intake in P+F meals. I know you are typically supposed to stay under 10 total grams of carbs in a P+F meal, but does that apply to just complex carbs or any combination of complex carbs and sugars? For example, if I’m in a rush and toss a tablespoon or two of flax oil into a shake that totals 8 grams of carbs with about 2-6 grams of sugar (these are just various numbers based on the wide amount of protein powders that are currently in my house), will this lead to a high insulin response and totally negate the point of the meal? Just something I was wondering about!

[quote]galsia wrote:
Hey everyone,
I just have a general question regarding carb intake in P+F meals. I know you are typically supposed to stay under 10 total grams of carbs in a P+F meal, but does that apply to just complex carbs or any combination of complex carbs and sugars? For example, if I’m in a rush and toss a tablespoon or two of flax oil into a shake that totals 8 grams of carbs with about 2-6 grams of sugar (these are just various numbers based on the wide amount of protein powders that are currently in my house), will this lead to a high insulin response and totally negate the point of the meal? Just something I was wondering about!
[/quote]

I wouldn’t worry about it.

My understanding was that one should stay away from sugar intake with a P+F meal, and any meal unless it’s right after your workout. High fructose corn syrup is especially bad because it actually slows down your metabolism. That’s why I try to stay away from cereals and ketchup. I bought Precision Nutrition awhile back and John Berardi gives a few recipes that substitute splenda for sugar. I’ve also read a couple articles of his on www.johnberardi.com in which sugar is negatively looked at. My advice would be to simply use splenda if you want a sweet flavor in your P+F meal. On a personal note, I am not a fan of the taste of splenda but a lot of people do like it. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Il Don

See this thread on much the same topic. About them being GUIDELINES etc.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1034014

Its OK to do what you are. More catabolic and physique killing to stress about it IMO