Sugar Vs Saturated Fat

which is better?
I’m trying to lose some weight and choose healthy food choices and it seem to me the low fat foods have high sugar and the foods with higher saturated fat have less sugar. which is the lesser of the two evils?

I was thinking it would be better to eat the sat. fat cause it doesnt spike insulin levels? Not sure about this because i’m still trying to get over my prejudice of fat being bad after a life time of getting ‘fat makes you fat’ messages!

You should be getting saturated fats, but largely from meat. Your sugars should come from fruits and yogurt. If you’re buying pre-packaged crap, you can’t expect to be able to meet these criteria. There are a million ways to dress up a piece of lean meat without adding carbs or extra saturated fat. Not everything you eat has to taste amazing or even good (not that this can’t be accomplished with a little creativity and planning), but you’ll get used to it.

thanks for the reply wfifer,
i’m mainly wondering about things like milk, yogurt, etc. (things that you have to buy prepackaged)

When buying these things there are ussually a normal version and a fat free version, the normal version ussually has less sugar but more sat. fat, the fat free version has less sat. fat but more sugar, so i’m just wondering which one to pick.
Are you saying get the fat free yogurt and milk?

Would it be fair to say to eat the things higher in sugar in the mornings or before your workouts and the things higher in fat at night and before you go to bed?

don’t eat anything out of a packet, buy

http://www.johnberardi.com/products/gourmet/

and do yourself a huge favour

get the higher fat, less sugar option

If something is marketed as “low sugar” or “low fat”, then it’s junk.

If you consider that our bodies actually need saturated fat for proper functioning, then your choice should be clear.

The best advice is to think natural. A Jolly Rancher is pure sugar and I’d assume virtually no fat. An egg from a free-range chicken has no sugar and lots of saturated fat. Which do you think is better for you (even ignoring the protein in the egg)?

In addition to the macronutrient considerations, don’t overlook the micronutrients–the vitamins and minerals in the egg (specifically the egg yolk). A host of vitamins and minerals are fat soluable. Comparatively fewer can be found in sugars and those that do exist are mostly found in natural foods (fruits, vegetables, and unrefined grains).

[quote]Would it be fair to say to eat the things higher in sugar in the mornings or before your workouts and the things higher in fat at night and before you go to bed?
[/quote]
Eat carbs for breakfast and after you workout (e.g. something like Surge right after workout and a protein + carb meal 90 minutes after that). Eat fat and protein at all other meals, definitely the ones later at night.

When you compare these ratios, is the actual amount of sugar in the low fat version higher than in the standard version, or is it simply a different ratio of sugars/fats?

It should be a different ratio if the fat is reduced, so if the sugars stay the same, they will by comparison to the fats seem higher, but shouldn’t be higher than the unadulterated version.

Ok, thanks for clearing everything up for me guys.

Also the sugar content in most of the fat free products were higher, probaly to make up for the loss of taste that lowering the fat does.