T Nation

Sugar Shane KO

Anyone see it last night? Fucking PRICELESS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlgHsonbftI

Last seconds of the fight!!

Yeah I forgot the fight was on and only caught the last 3 rounds, but it was a sweet knockout.

That is one hell of a knockout and definately one to be proud of

One of my favorite fighters of all time, awesome ending.

[quote]snipeout wrote:
One of my favorite fighters of all time, awesome ending.[/quote]

I do love’em. I’d like to see him fight Margarito. That’d be a brawl.

I know he mentioned something about it post fight, what are the chances it actually happens though?

[quote]snipeout wrote:
I know he mentioned something about it post fight, what are the chances it actually happens though?[/quote]

Well. Depends on Margarito now. I haven’t read much about it, but at this point I’m sure my man is going for the biggest paydays he can find.

It’s probably decent… he’s not going to get DLH to fight him, and Mayweather, if he was going to come out of retirement, won’t do it just yet.

The only thing is that Shane didn’t look spectacular in the fight. He got a great KO that will certainly be on the highlight reels, but if Mayorga was the tiniest bit a better fighter (or at least didn’t gas out so badly), I don’t know if Shane would have won.

He was ahead, evidently, on two of three judge’s scorecards, and rightfully so. But he ain’t young anymore… and if Margarito doesn’t want to fight him now, or in the next year, then I don’t know. A 38 or 39 year old Mosley might just get destroyed by Margarito… if he’s got a shot, it’s right now…

I think it might be more realistic maybe for Cotto to fight him. There was, I think also talk of maybe him fighting up and comer Andre Berto (fought on the undercard, beat Steve Forbes).

Don’t know if you saw, by the way, but Margarito was in attendence. Makes me think he’s at least interested in it.

But with boxers (and their fucking promoters) who knows…

Congrats to Mosley. I don’t know if there is a classier boxer - both in and out of the ring - than ol Sugar Shane.

Yeah he didn’t look fab against Mayorga but Mayorga is just such a messy fighter. That caveman brawling - that just don’t interest me…

Nice.

Hopefully everyone can get together and make this fight happen. Didn’t Mayweather duck Margarito, or am I mistaken?

[quote]snipeout wrote:
Hopefully everyone can get together and make this fight happen. Didn’t Mayweather duck Margarito, or am I mistaken?[/quote]

That was the word… I want to say he turned down 8 million to fight him.

That would be a hell of a fight, a true “style makes the fight” kind of thing.

Mayweather is fast enough that he could probably embarass Margarito for the better part of the fight, but Margarito is powerful enough that he could KO Mayweather. The only problem is that rarely does a clean shot land on Floyd… but Margarito is not an orthodox fighter, with those wide looping haymakers he throws.

I’m a huge Floyd fan, so I’m still going to say that Floyd would win a SD or UD in the end… it’s hard to call against a guy who’s never even been put on the canvas before.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
snipeout wrote:
Hopefully everyone can get together and make this fight happen. Didn’t Mayweather duck Margarito, or am I mistaken?

That was the word… I want to say he turned down 8 million to fight him.

That would be a hell of a fight, a true “style makes the fight” kind of thing.

Mayweather is fast enough that he could probably embarass Margarito for the better part of the fight, but Margarito is powerful enough that he could KO Mayweather. The only problem is that rarely does a clean shot land on Floyd… but Margarito is not an orthodox fighter, with those wide looping haymakers he throws.

I’m a huge Floyd fan, so I’m still going to say that Floyd would win a SD or UD in the end… it’s hard to call against a guy who’s never even been put on the canvas before. [/quote]

Iknow I am going a little off topic now. Do you think Mayweather beat Oscar?

That was pretty sweet. I like Mosley and good to see him still competing near the top of his game.

[quote]snipeout wrote:

Iknow I am going a little off topic now. Do you think Mayweather beat Oscar?[/quote]

I have watched that fight many, many times, and yes, I believe that Floyd won that fight handily. The fact that it was a SD still boggles my mind.

Oscar came closer than anyone since Castillo in 2001 to actually winning against FLoyd, but he stupidly stopped using his jab and kept trying to brawl with Floyd. And if you’ve ever seen Floyd fight, you know that he’s only going to do that when he knows he can win, ala the Chavez fight or the Hatton fight. With a guy like DLH, who’s got some power, he wouldn’t stand in there.

There’s one thing I’ve noticed about Floyd after watching all of his fights a katrillion times. When you hurt him, and I mean really hurt him, he gets angry and follows up your shot with a 2-3-2 right away.

It’s like he loses his temper for a split second, fires that off, then bounces out. Oscar connected with some solid shots, and Floyd bounced right back with that same combo. But Floyd only has trouble with fighters that jab alot, like Zab Judah. Had DLH kept jabbing, he could have won. But he didn’t. He fought, as he always does, with clenched fists, tired out, and didn’t land enough shots to come anywhere close to winning.

Just my take.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
snipeout wrote:

I have watched that fight many, many times, and yes, I believe that Floyd won that fight handily. The fact that it was a SD still boggles my mind.

Oscar came closer than anyone since Castillo in 2001 to actually winning against FLoyd, but he stupidly stopped using his jab and kept trying to brawl with Floyd. And if you’ve ever seen Floyd fight, you know that he’s only going to do that when he knows he can win, ala the Chavez fight or the Hatton fight. With a guy like DLH, who’s got some power, he wouldn’t stand in there.

There’s one thing I’ve noticed about Floyd after watching all of his fights a katrillion times. When you hurt him, and I mean really hurt him, he gets angry and follows up your shot with a 2-3-2 right away.

It’s like he loses his temper for a split second, fires that off, then bounces out. Oscar connected with some solid shots, and Floyd bounced right back with that same combo. But Floyd only has trouble with fighters that jab alot, like Zab Judah. Had DLH kept jabbing, he could have won. But he didn’t. He fought, as he always does, with clenched fists, tired out, and didn’t land enough shots to come anywhere close to winning.

Just my take.[/quote]

I’ve only seen the fight twice, and I am not biased in one way or another. I thought that DLH as the champ in that fight, which he was, did enough to retain it. Mayweather was not the champ and in my eyes did not due enough to take the title from the champ.

I think the judges looked at it the other way around. I am more old school when it comes to judging, I feel you have to outright beat the champ and I don’t feel Floyd did that. Once again this is just my simple opinion and in no way am I taking anything away from Floyd.

Whoops, posted this in the boxing thread III before I saw this post:

It sure was fun to see Sugar Shane plant that idiot Mayorga in the last round. I’d love to see Mosley fight Margarito, but with the rematch against Cotto coming, it’s going be at least a year before it could happen, and Shane will be 38. Margarito is a lot to handle at any age.

Irish, I think your analysis of the near future for Shane and the other fights you mentioned here are dead on.

For the record, I thought PBF handled Oscar. I was surprised it was not a UD. Oscar started out well, but in his customary fashion, tired in the later rounds, and Floyd was really able to get untracked about round 6 or so.

Is anyone else not quite sold on Andre Berto? I know he is fun to watch but I can’t help but feel he’s always going to be at a significant disadvantage against bigger welters. His speed is amazing and his punching power is good, but is it enough to deal with huge welters like Margarito and Williams? Of course he’s not ready for those guys now, but will he ever be? I don’t know.

[quote]snipeout wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
snipeout wrote:

Just my take.

I’ve only seen the fight twice, and I am not biased in one way or another. I thought that DLH as the champ in that fight, which he was, did enough to retain it. Mayweather was not the champ and in my eyes did not due enough to take the title from the champ.

I think the judges looked at it the other way around. I am more old school when it comes to judging, I feel you have to outright beat the champ and I don’t feel Floyd did that. Once again this is just my simple opinion and in no way am I taking anything away from Floyd.[/quote]

please man that is just dumb…anyone who knows boxing knows the fight was not nearly as close as they had it…the judges were so influenced by the crowd going crazy when oscar flurried with 10 punches and only 1 would land it made me sick. if you watch the fight with the sound off and slow down several parts its a clinic by floyd bro hands down.oscar was landing that jab but floyd figured it out like he always does.

people say o well oscar wasnt throwing his jab, well easy for you to say but you become much more hesitant to throw a punch when you know there is a faster fighter in front of you countering with a straight right all day.you cant really argue that margarito would ko floyd b/c he has never actually been down before(except judah fight he did touch the canvas)plus margarito isnt a one punch ko artist he has reasonable power with relentless agression and far better conditioning than most…cotto was outboxing him for a while(yes i did pick tony in that fight)problem is floyd is just as well conditioned if not better conditioned than tony …add him being a far better boxer than cotto = ud for floyd ala carlos baldomir fight

and the argument that floyd ducked tony he was getting 8 mill. for the fight hes ducking him is redic. b/c he wouldve made 3 times that fighting oscar