T Nation

Sugar Guidelines

Are there any guidelines or recommendations for sugar content in a bulking diet? Assuming 40% of calories are coming from carbs, how much of that should be from complex carbs and how much can we tolerate being from simple sugars (sucrose, fructose)?

Avoid sugar as best as you (reasonably) can. the best times to have simple carbohydrates are after your workout and as your first meal of the day. Beyond that, use common sense.

Whoops. I’m drinking around 2-4 litres of chocolate milk a day, which I’m sure contains a fair amount of sugar.

A gigantic amount of sugar.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Avoid sugar as best as you (reasonably) can. the best times to have simple carbohydrates are after your workout and as your first meal of the day. Beyond that, use common sense.[/quote]

For the most part I do, in so far as foods like candy and pop.

Does it change things any if it’s fruit and / or fruit juices? Should sugar from those sources be limited in one’s bulking diet as well?

Good question regarding fruits. So basically if i want to cut body fat, i want to limit my fruit consumption but basically eat all the veggies i want? Or is sugar from fruit completely different than in chocolate? Or sugar = sugar. Thanks.

Pretty much sugar is sugar, except there is more need to limit sucrose and fructose (both found in fruit) than glucose. A moderate amount of glucose even in every meal is actually no different, on reaching the bloodstream, than complex carbs (as they are broken down to glucose.) The only issue is if the amount of glucose is excessive for the conditions, yielding a sugar rush and crash whereas complex carbs would have delievered the glucose more slowly and smoothly.

However it’s a fairly moot point for the most part as no foods are glucose-only in terms of sugar.

It does have relevance to supplement products: glucose, if the amount of calories is appropriate for the conditions, doesn’t have to be avoided the way comparably-large amounts of sucrose or fructose should be.

All this is not to say that there is anything wrong having an apple, for example, even several times a day if desired.

I just found the above article, and have confirmed with another source that unsweetened fruit juice has a low gi value.

This I feel is a blessing as I can easily drink a litre of fruit juice each day, which will add a good 500 Calories to my bulking diet (and give me an excuse to lay off the green tea a bit).

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Pretty much sugar is sugar, except there is more need to limit sucrose and fructose (both found in fruit) than glucose. A moderate amount of glucose even in every meal is actually no different, on reaching the bloodstream, than complex carbs (as they are broken down to glucose.) The only issue is if the amount of glucose is excessive for the conditions, yielding a sugar rush and crash whereas complex carbs would have delievered the glucose more slowly and smoothly.

However it’s a fairly moot point for the most part as no foods are glucose-only in terms of sugar.

It does have relevance to supplement products: glucose, if the amount of calories is appropriate for the conditions, doesn’t have to be avoided the way comparably-large amounts of sucrose or fructose should be.

All this is not to say that there is anything wrong having an apple, for example, even several times a day if desired.[/quote]

Bill,

If we are talking about peri/post workout; what is the optimal type of sugar to add into our shakes if we are using a powder and not food? I’ve heard a few differing responses on these forums. (fructose seemed to be the typical answer though)

Hi Everyone, I have a question about plain table sugar intake for pre and post workout. I have read many sources of information saying Sugar is a great transportation nutrient to promote flow of supplements ie. Creatine if u take it before workout … etc and I have read other sources saying stay away from processed sugar.

I am trying to gain mass but don’t want to get too fat … should I take sugar pre and post workout? … if people think so, how many teaspoons ? … I do feel I get so much more energy and pumps if I use sugar, what are ppls thoughts on this? Many thanks

[quote]Kongle wrote:
Hi Everyone, I have a question about plain table sugar intake for pre and post workout. I have read many sources of information saying Sugar is a great transportation nutrient to promote flow of supplements ie. Creatine if u take it before workout … etc and I have read other sources saying stay away from processed sugar.

I am trying to gain mass but don’t want to get too fat … should I take sugar pre and post workout? … if people think so, how many teaspoons ? … I do feel I get so much more energy and pumps if I use sugar, what are ppls thoughts on this? Many thanks [/quote]

This has to be one of those most ridiculous bodybuilding-related questions I have ever seen asked on this board…

How many teaspoons of sugar should you “take” after a workout?

What the fuck man?

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Kongle wrote:

I am trying to gain mass but don’t want to get too fat … should I take sugar pre and post workout? … if people think so, how many teaspoons ? … I do feel I get so much more energy and pumps if I use sugar, what are ppls thoughts on this? Many thanks

This has to be one of those most ridiculous bodybuilding-related questions I have ever seen asked on this board…

What the fuck man?[/quote]

Thanks for your reply but I was after a more “Educated discussion”

[quote]Kongle wrote:
mr popular wrote:
Kongle wrote:

What the fuck man?

[/quote]

I have also read that White Sugar is an important nutrient / food to take for muscle building in Muscle Mag which is what sparked my question.

From further reading by taking Sugar it will increase insulin which increase blood flow that eventually leads to increase of muscle mass. What I am wondering is the amount of Sugar I should take ? I read about insulin surges thus makes you hungry and crave for carbs …

“White” sugar as opposed to what? Brown sugar? thats just sugar with molasses. Anyway the sugar you want is NOT table sugar! Table sugar is in fact Sucrose which is Glucose and Fructose, Fructose is very low GI and does not promote a high release of insulin.
From what I understand, sugar is not really an important nutrient but merely a tool to give you fast energy before a intense workout and to stimulate release of insulin and glycogen synthesis post-workout. And that fast sugar would be pure glucose and pure maltodextrin.

[quote]Kongle wrote:
mr popular wrote:
Kongle wrote:

What the fuck man?

[/quote]

Don’t be a prick.