Sugar Crash After Drinking Surge Recovery

I recently ordered my Surge Recovery and I drank half a serving before workout, and sipped the other half during the workout, as many strength coaches nowadays advise to have carbs before a workout rather than after. It was the first time I used Surge. Everything was going fine until about 2/3 into the workout, then I felt a bit light headed. I was wondering if anyone else has felt this kind of possible “sugar crash” after taking Surge Recovery before the workout?

Also, for those of you who are wondering, I had eaten two proper meals before the workout that day, and I slept for 8 hours the night before. So the lightheaded-ness shouldn’t have come from inadequate nutrition/sleep.

Anyone’s thoughts?

How long before training did you consume Surge and what type of training did you perform?

Normally such a response would be due to having too much time between drinking Surge and training. Or, it could be due to having it before a relatively low-intensity session. If neither of these, it could be due to one having very poor insulin sensitivity.

[quote]chawlsrules wrote:
I recently ordered my Surge Recovery and I drank half a serving before workout, and sipped the other half during the workout, as many strength coaches nowadays advise to have carbs before a workout rather than after. It was the first time I used Surge. Everything was going fine until about 2/3 into the workout, then I felt a bit light headed. I was wondering if anyone else has felt this kind of possible “sugar crash” after taking Surge Recovery before the workout?

Also, for those of you who are wondering, I had eaten two proper meals before the workout that day, and I slept for 8 hours the night before. So the lightheaded-ness shouldn’t have come from inadequate nutrition/sleep.

Anyone’s thoughts?[/quote]

I drink mine as I step into the gym - 1/2 of the serving (2 scoops) in about 14oz water and then I refill my bottle to the top and sip the last 1/2 serving now more diluted throughout rest of workout. Workouts are intense, 2-3 main exercises, 3-5 reps, multiple sets, all explosive, 45-55mins total workout time. Then at end of workout I have 25 grams BCAA’s and WH in a shot.

I tend towards hypoglycemia and never feel any ill effects with the Surge the way I am taking it - in fact, lots of energy and better workouts.

I had to order some more upon reading this. It’s by far my favorite supp, I don’t know how I let the latest releases clout my use of Surge the last few months.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:
How long before training did you consume Surge and what type of training did you perform?

Normally such a response would be due to having too much time between drinking Surge and training. Or, it could be due to having it before a relatively low-intensity session. If neither of these, it could be due to one having very poor insulin sensitivity.[/quote]

I drank Surge 20 minutes before hand and my workout was the Upper Body Repetition Day from Defranco’s Westside program. Jump pushups, chinups, rear delt flies, shrugs, tricep pushdowns. Ended the workout with 5 rounds of sprints. Wouldn’t say it was the most intense workout I’ve done but I don’t think it qualifies as a “low-intensity” session either. Now I’m a bit worried I may have bad insulin sensitivity.

In the next few workouts, I will consume my Surge only 5-10 minutes before workout and see if that helps. Also, for some reason, drinking Surge caused my body to become even MORE sore than I’ve experienced in a really long time. Same workouts, same exercises. I do seem to be lifting a bit more under Surge but is that little difference enough to cause soreness?

I drank Surge 20 minutes before hand and my workout was the Upper Body Repetition Day from Defranco’s Westside program. Jump pushups, chinups, rear delt flies, shrugs, tricep pushdowns. Ended the workout with 5 rounds of sprints. Wouldn’t say it was the most intense workout I’ve done but I don’t think it qualifies as a “low-intensity” session either. Now I’m a bit worried I may have bad insulin sensitivity.In the next few workouts, I will consume my Surge only 5-10 minutes before workout and see if that helps. [/quote]

I wouldn’t worry about your insulin sensitivity. Just make the timing adjustment and see what happens.

Also, for some reason, drinking Surge caused my body to become even MORE sore than I’ve experienced in a really long time. Same workouts, same exercises. I do seem to be lifting a bit more under Surge but is that little difference enough to cause soreness?[/quote]

Unless you’re somehow otherwise altering your nutrition and or training, the increase in training intensity as a result of using Surge Recovery would have to be the cause of your soreness.