Suffering From Burnout, New Ideas?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
patrick12 wrote:
malonetd wrote:
patrick12 wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Why are you getting burnt out? I can’t imagine getting bored or burnt out as long as I’m getting stronger. Did you stop progressing?

Yep, I work out at home and I hit a sticking point and I lost it.

Did your current program work at all? Did you make gains on it?

It worked great, I gained both size and strength, but I hit a plateau. I work out alone and I don’t have a spotter. I hope to tap into the knowledge of the T-Nation and start a new routine.

My reason for asking is if what you did in the past worked for you, maybe you don’t need an entirely new program. Maybe you just need to switch up your set/rep scheme. Or even just substitute a few exercises. Very rarely does someone need an entire overhaul.

However, some people want an overhaul. If that’s you, then go for it.[/quote]

I started that routine after I read an article about Ronnie Coleman. He uses a similar routine. I want to find some new ideas

[quote]patrick12 wrote:
Cprimero wrote:
Dan John’s One lift a Day or WS4SB( version III) are both tried and true.

Also look into Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1/ program, especially as it has regular deloads to stop you getting burned out

What is a deload ?[/quote]

that question could be a pretty big clue .

read up on Westside/5-3-1 and the theory of regular de-loads . I’m about your age , and pretty sure I could not constantly lift heavy without de-loading regularily ; and you’re quite a bit stronger than me , so maybe the bigger weights take an even bigger toll .

A deload is when you take a controlled easy week, primarily to unload and restore the nervous system. For most people this actually helps recovery better than just taking a week off and doing nothing.

A simple version would be to do the same workout but with half the sets and reps, and maybe one less workout a week.

Here’s a great article on deloads/back off weeks:http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article//back_off_and_grow

Like I said look into 5/3/1, people have been making great progress on it, its simple and all laid out for you. One guy in the thread here put his squat up 100 lbs in three months on it!

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
A deload is when you take a controlled easy week, primarily to unload and restore the nervous system. For most people this actually helps recovery better than just taking a week off and doing nothing.

A simple version would be to do the same workout but with half the sets and reps, and maybe one less workout a week.

Here’s a great article on deloads/back off weeks:http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article//back_off_and_grow

Like I said look into 5/3/1, people have been making great progress on it, its simple and all laid out for you. One guy in the thread here put his squat up 100 lbs in three months on it![/quote]

That article explained a lot, I would always crank out a workout no matter what.

This quote sums it up !

"If you’re one of those gym rats that always hammers a workout no matter how stressed, sick or busy you are, all I can ask is, “How’s that plateau? Is the view nice from there?”

Training Economy

How to Maximize Efficiency in the Gym
by Joe DeFranco

I found another one that I like, its different and you move on to a different routine in about 4 weeks.