Suffering From Burnout, New Ideas?

I am suffering from burnout, I want to keep lifting but I need to do something different. I was on a 5x5 split routine, twice a week for each bodypart. One workout was heavy and the other one light. Any ideas for a new strength and size building routine ?

westside

Go to the gym and play around with different lifts, tempos, weights, etc for four weeks. Go in and have fun and see if you can get some stares. For example, I the last four weeks I have been playing around with throw presses and one arm barbell presses. Now I am ready to get back serious and not surprisingly my lifts have gone up the first week back.

Vitamin D, an extra day off, sex, a little beer, and a massage with a happy ending

Density training is always a good time. There are some good articles in here about it. The basic premise is to do as many reps in a time period as possible using relatively heavy weight. I forget all the benefits, but I’m sure you can find the article that explains it all. Good luck.

Why are you getting burnt out? I can’t imagine getting bored or burnt out as long as I’m getting stronger. Did you stop progressing?

Best advise I ever got about lifting was a couple years ago when I got to meet Kaz, he told me that when you are beat down to take off two weeks, review your past training cycle and then QUIT ! Or you could try sheiko (popular around here)or something completely different than what you have been doing . Check out Joeskopec.com in the template section lots of good programs to pick from .

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Why are you getting burnt out? I can’t imagine getting bored or burnt out as long as I’m getting stronger. Did you stop progressing?[/quote]

Yep, I work out at home and I hit a sticking point and I lost it.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Vitamin D, an extra day off, sex, a little beer, and a massage with a happy ending
[/quote]

Bourbon ok ?

[quote]NATOR wrote:
Best advise I ever got about lifting was a couple years ago when I got to meet Kaz, he told me that when you are beat down to take off two weeks, review your past training cycle and then QUIT! Or you could try sheiko (popular around here)or something completely different than what you have been doing . Check out Joeskopec.com in the template section lots of good programs to pick from .[/quote]

Amen.

Sheiko has turned my world around in the gym. Great change of pace from the regular split-routines.

[quote]NATOR wrote:
Best advise I ever got about lifting was a couple years ago when I got to meet Kaz, he told me that when you are beat down to take off two weeks, review your past training cycle and then QUIT ! Or you could try sheiko (popular around here)or something completely different than what you have been doing . Check out Joeskopec.com in the template section lots of good programs to pick from .[/quote]

That’s what I’m looking for, something different that works, I hate wasting my time.

[quote]smuscarella wrote:
Density training is always a good time. There are some good articles in here about it. The basic premise is to do as many reps in a time period as possible using relatively heavy weight. I forget all the benefits, but I’m sure you can find the article that explains it all. Good luck. [/quote]

Escalating Density Training - looks tough

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
westside[/quote]

Dan John’s One lift a Day or WS4SB( version III) are both tried and true.

Also look into Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1/ program, especially as it has regular deloads to stop you getting burned out

[quote]patrick12 wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Why are you getting burnt out? I can’t imagine getting bored or burnt out as long as I’m getting stronger. Did you stop progressing?

Yep, I work out at home and I hit a sticking point and I lost it. [/quote]

Did your current program work at all? Did you make gains on it?

what are your goals? what have you achieved?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
patrick12 wrote:
malonetd wrote:

Did your current program work at all? Did you make gains on it?[/quote]

It worked great, I gained both size and strength, but I hit a plateau. I work out alone and I don’t have a spotter. I hope to tap into the knowledge of the T-Nation and start a new routine.

[quote]alit4 wrote:
what are your goals? what have you achieved?[/quote]

Bench 300, Squat 400, Deadlift 395 - (No spotter) - 5-11 217lbs 43 years old

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
Dan John’s One lift a Day or WS4SB( version III) are both tried and true.

Also look into Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1/ program, especially as it has regular deloads to stop you getting burned out [/quote]

What is a deload ?

[quote]patrick12 wrote:
malonetd wrote:
patrick12 wrote:
malonetd wrote:

Did your current program work at all? Did you make gains on it?

It worked great, I gained both size and strength, but I hit a plateau. I work out alone and I don’t have a spotter. I hope to tap into the knowledge of the T-Nation and start a new routine.[/quote]

My reason for asking is if what you did in the past worked for you, maybe you don’t need an entirely new program. Maybe you just need to switch up your set/rep scheme. Or even just substitute a few exercises. Very rarely does someone need an entire overhaul.

However, some people want an overhaul. If that’s you, then go for it.