T Nation

Suffered a Grade II Calf Strain

I am pretty sure that I suffered a grade II calf strain yesterday afternoon (hurts like a bitch). I hate to miss any time in the gym. Any advice about what I can do without causing further injury?

As of yesterday morning I was doing EDT three times a week using thrusters, rows, deads, leg press, pin press, floor press, dips, push-ups, russian twists, etc.

I am confident that I will be able to continue much of the program the presses, and I know that the thrusters and deads are out for a few weeks (at least).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

jnd

Calf strains almost always heal uneventfully in 3-6 weeks. Use pain as your guide.

If over 35, if your calf is warm and red and you don’t remember doing anything to it, make sure it is not a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot).

[quote]danjo228 wrote:
Calf strains almost always heal uneventfully in 3-6 weeks. Use pain as your guide.

If over 35, if your calf is warm and red and you don’t remember doing anything to it, make sure it is not a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot).[/quote]

Thanks for the advice about the clot, but I remember doing it. I was playing racquetball (getting slaughtered) and I lunged for a shot and felt a sharp pain in my calf (I did not hear a pop). I turned to my friend and said “did you just hit me on the leg with your racquet?” He was way across the court.

I was looking around the court for who else could’ve come into the court and hit me… In retrospect it was kind of funny.

jnd

Indeed it is a little, but I don’t find your injury humorous. I’ve never seen a calf/achilles injury where the person did say they thought someone kicked them, even when you see nobody near them.